who would you use to sell your cues ??

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have a bunch of cues i want to sell
all from respected cuemakers,,scruggs /gilbert/webb/ eddie cohen/tad /josswest/gina/bobby hunter/searing
most 4 point 4 veneer
some with modest inlays
some ivory joints and /or inlays
ie no szambotis or bushkas
who do you think has the best turnover of cues and gives the buyer the best prices ??
pms ok

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
all from respected cuemakers,,scruggs /gilbert/webb/ eddie cohen/tad /josswest/gina/bobby hunter/searing
most 4 point 4 veneer
some with modest inlays
who do you think has the best turnover of cues and gives the buyer the best prices ??
pms ok

I was in Burt Kellermans will to disperse of his cue collection. His wife went another direction and cost herself somewhere in the $200. to 300 thousand range. BE CAREFUL!

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clinton Rocha
Kickin' Chicken
Billiard Bill
Worminator
High End Cues
JazznPool (Martin)
Cornerstone Cues (Bill Grassley) .....really top notch.
Classic Cues (Mark or JV)

Be careful about selling cues with ivory to buyers located in a state with restrictions.
If you use a agent which sounds like you want to do, make sure you telkk them you
want to abide by the ivory ban. This way if they violate it, you are "squeaky clean".

You'd likely be safe regardless but mentioning this up front introduces a barrier of
protection otherwise not afforded if shit ever hit the fan with any cue sale. It sounds
like you have a bevy of cues to make available & I hope to get to view them eventually.

Matt B.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't hard to sell them yourself, unless you are just looking to give away money to some resellers. I would rather price them right or slightly below market and pass along a good deal.

If you price them fairly, they move pretty quickly.

What I see too often is overpriced cues and folks complaining that the market is terrible.

(Cues, houses, cars, guns, etc.) If priced fairly, they will move pretty quickly.

JMO,

Ken

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't hard to sell them yourself, unless you are just looking to give away money to some resellers. I would rather price them right or slightly below market and pass along a good deal.

If you price them fairly, they move pretty quickly.

What I see too often is overpriced cues and folks complaining that the market is terrible.

(Cues, houses, cars, guns, etc.) If priced fairly, they will move pretty quickly.

JMO,

Ken
Bingo............

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Agree with Ken. List them yourself here and maybe on Facebook if you're on there. If priced right they will sell. Just get cash in hand first or use a reputable escrow service.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken,

I think the challenge nowadays is for a seller of cues to come with a fair price based on the actual resale market.
Most can recall a price of a similar cue, somewhere, sometime that sold for X but what can your cue actually fetch?

Most sellers have an unrealistic impression of what their cue(s) are worth or else no idea aside from what it cost.
I also think sellers of cues haven't any idea how long it should or would take to sell their cue(s) so they panic.

That's why cue prices drop, often enormously, on cue for sale listings also bolstered by unrealistic asking prices.
So all in all, as well as the headache of dealing with browsers & buyers, I can see why using a agent has appeal.

Matt B.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks to all who have responded so far both in the thread and via pm
I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE .......:).....:thumbup:
if anyone else has advice for me i would like to hear it either in the thread or via pm

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It Is Too Soon To Discuss Any Cue(s) Yet & Instead Verify Cue Values First

It seems to me that the OP isn't trying to move a couple of cues quick but rather is inclined to offer his collection for sale which requires evaluation and marketing,
even if it's just AZ, FB or handled thru a network approach to higher end buyers. I think his best initial step is to determine the likely value of the cues before offering
them for sale or even consider any offers until he is confident about the value of what's in his collection. We all know that Scruggs, Gina, Searing, Stroud, etc. cues
are top shelf cues and could be worth a lot of money. I hope the seller first finds out what these cues are worth prior to considering or even discussing any offers for
any cue in his collection from anyone since it's ultimately in his financial interests to seek the best possible price regardless of from whom.

Matt B.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't normally handle cues for othher people
unless it is an old friend

i have even sent my cues to a few of the biggest names and never had any luck

they always asked me to go down over and again,when i knew the cues were priced right

i agree with ken's advice for people with a little experience

i would try to sell them on az

put pictures and prices and see what happens

best wishes
dean

if you need any help with pictures be sure to call
i am tech savvy

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
As someone in the midst of selling a HUGE collection. It is an undertaking for anyone. You cannot price it "fairly" because even when you do, its not fair enough and you're going to see the meaning of the word low ball. You will never here the words "I'll take it" at any price you list. If you list your Searing for $900, you'll get offered 6, this you can take to the bank.

You will be cherry picked and left with the marginal to hard to move items. The person I am working with was "cherry picked" out of some very key cues. I am a patient man, and I enjoy buying and selling. Some people that sell, when they find out the real way people get stupid and want to nit pick your weight off by .02 ounces, or they see some mysterious blemish that they must have looked at the cue through the Hubble. That is when they see selling, its not so easy.

Good luck.. any way you go...

JV

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to disagree with an azer
but I hear" i will take it" all of the time

Seldom am I offered a lower price

if I do,I just say I already have it priced right
you don't need to barter

I think it might be because I price everything right and don't take offers

I never subscribed to the saying "price it high ,you can w always come down"

I believe that people like that start high,scare off the buyers and end up taking less
than they other wise would.I learned that in the Real Estate business
where many start too high

I get to the point where I don't trust the dealers who start too high ,their prices are not
firm,therefore not to be believed

My advice is to offer the cue at the price that you would think is right

if after a while the cue does not sell,you might need to adjust
the market could be telling you that you are too high

with your reputation,you should not have any trouble selling your own cues
be reasonable,be honest,be fair

selling a cue is not like hustling pool,don't try to get the best of it

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's easy to write to tell someone to list and sell the cue at the right price.
The challenge is figuring out what that should be & what you paid is a guide.

The cue's condition, supply & demand factors, most recent sale prices, etc. are
typically things people overrate and do not understand or have any knowledge of.

Browsing AZ, FB, and dealer websites hardly renders anyone an expert and at
best, increases your familarity but hardly elevates one's expertise. You cannot go
by how others price their cues for sale on AZ and the final sale price gets seldom
revealed. And higher end cues command and deserve one on one discussion and
negotiation with interested buyers so in reality, FS threads are not totally reliable.

Entrusting your monetary welfare, i.e., sale of cues, is best handled by a professional.
Sell a collection of cues like the OP mentioned and you can be sure money will be left
on the table costing more than what a dealer would have charged. If it was only 1 or 2
cues, I'd recommend seeling the cue on your own but not a collection. There is a lot more
work and effort to successfully produce the maximum profit possible when it is a collection
of cues, not just a couple of high end cues like some of the cues in the OP's collection.

Matt B.

p.s. J.V. @ Classic Cues is a good source to consider.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Dean,
I have seen what you sell, on the forums, its easy to price a 750 dollar cue right. Or run specials when you already have a set price from the cuemaker. I have no beef with that. You rarely, if ever sell big cues here.

JV

I hate to disagree with an azer
but I hear" i will take it" all of the time

Seldom am I offered a lower price

if I do,I just say I already have it priced right
you don't need to barter

I think it might be because I price everything right and don't take offers

I never subscribed to the saying "price it high ,you can w always come down"

I believe that people like that start high,scare off the buyers and end up taking less
than they other wise would.I learned that in the Real Estate business
where many start too high

I get to the point where I don't trust the dealers who start too high ,their prices are not
firm,therefore not to be believed

My advice is to offer the cue at the price that you would think is right

if after a while the cue does not sell,you might need to adjust
the market could be telling you that you are too high

with your reputation,you should not have any trouble selling your own cues
be reasonable,be honest,be fair

selling a cue is not like hustling pool,don't try to get the best of it

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you commit to have a cue dealer sell your cues you should see what % they want..10. .20...or what ever... It could be a sizeable chunk of your bling. ..if you can afford it and don't mind then go for it...If it was me I would sell my own cues no matter how many I had,but again that's me cause I would rather have all the cash and am willing to go through what ever it takes...

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
most 4 point 4 veneer
some with modest inlays
pms ok

B- You have a PM, mon frere.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...If it was me I would sell my own cues no matter how many I had,but again that's me cause I would rather have all the cash and am willing to go through what ever it takes...

Then you must be willing to
- field 10 questions from every prospect on every cue,
- wait for payment from a buyer who commits only to hear "Something else came up."
- receive requests for a credit because the forearm has 6 dings rather than 5.
- listen to stories about memories of the cue for sale from people not interested in buying.
- hold a cue for a committed buyer who you never hear from again.
- tell prospects responding to your listing that states "No Trades" that you are not interested in their trade.
- take a dozen extra pictures for someone who tells you they're very interested, who never responds to your emails.
- Chase a scammer who told PayPal or their CC company the cue wasn't as described.
- Should I keep going?

My wife has the contact info for the dealer to dispose of my collection after my demise and while that dealer's name is included here, there are two names mentioned, one of whom is NOT a dealer at all and the other someone who is quite suspect. Do your homework.

PS