who would you use to sell your cues ??

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then you must be willing to
- field 10 questions from every prospect on every cue,
- wait for payment from a buyer who commits only to hear "Something else came up."
- receive requests for a credit because the forearm has 6 dings rather than 5.
- listen to stories about memories of the cue for sale from people not interested in buying.
- hold a cue for a committed buyer who you never hear from again.
- tell prospects responding to your listing that states "No Trades" that you are not interested in their trade.
- take a dozen extra pictures for someone who tells you they're very interested, who never responds to your emails.
- Chase a scammer who told PayPal or their CC company the cue wasn't as described.
- Should I keep going?

My wife has the contact info for the dealer to dispose of my collection after my demise and while that dealer's name is included here, there are two names mentioned, one of whom is NOT a dealer at all and the other someone who is quite suspect. Do your homework.

PS

Don't have a fit Pard.. its just my opinion ...you don't like it ..that's your problem..

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't have a fit Pard.. its just my opinion ...you don't like it ..that's your problem..

I'm hardly "having a fit". This is an open discussion and I am speaking to the broader audience and outlining the realities of dealing with pool players. I apologize for wording this in a way that you thought was directed at you; it was not.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't normally handle cues for othher people
unless it is an old friend

i have even sent my cues to a few of the biggest names and never had any luck

they always asked me to go down over and again,when i knew the cues were priced right

i agree with ken's advice for people with a little experience

i would try to sell them on az

put pictures and prices and see what happens

best wishes
dean

^^^^^^^^^^^

Great advice

if you need any help with pictures be sure to call
i am tech savvy

^^^^^^^^^

I knew you had a sense of humor....

When it comes to high end cues, Dean has as much experience as ANY agent alive today.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classic cues+
I think you are either trying to promote yourself
at my expense or obtain business by knocking me

Have you noticed the Balabushka of Mark Griffin that I sold
or the many South West

or the multiple groups of 10 at a time that I did for Rauenzahn and Bob Owen
or the many Schon Tributes

the Larry Vigus Box Cue or the many South West co op deals with Vigus,Jake Hulsey,
and Jerry Rauenzahn that no one else has ever done

It is true that I have sold a few inexpensive cues $1500 and under as mystery cues
but I just did that to show you other dealers that I could sell more cues for list price,no pictures,
and unknown because people trust me.

I think BBB can sell all his cues for higher prices without me or you,other than Rick Lansberg
for me on consignment Best Billiards I have not had any dealers that actually sold a cue

Lets be clear I am not looking for this business from BBB, I specifically told him to do it on his own
and you seem to be trolling for business and have picked on the wrong guy to promote yourself

I didn't mention I just bought one of your cues for 25 % off because I knew you always priced
things too high and only a fool would buy one at your asking price.I didn't mention this till you took
a cheap shot at me

It really does not pay to mess with a 75 year old,planning on
retirement who has nothing to gain by selling or lose by
kissing your cheek,

I take your remark to be a cheap shot,take a look at some of the cues I have sold in the gallery

I mention this just to prove what a blow hard you are.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean,
I have seen what you sell, on the forums, its easy to price a 750 dollar cue right. Or run specials when you already have a set price from the cuemaker. I have no beef with that. You rarely, if ever sell big cues here.

JV

You obviously don't know Dean very well.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please turn to the cue gallery,Mr Classic Cues

"special request" is the thread title

since you studied my sales so thoroughly I was wondering if you would study just as hard to price and market BBB's collection

I am sure he is very confident now

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
After my unofficial retirement in 2012, I spent the next 4 years selling all but 6 of my
150+ cue collection, along wih dozens of cases I no longer needed, and I had zero
issues or problems doing it.
As I went along I bought, ordered, and traded for cues, and have an accumulation of
different cues and will be doing it all over again.

Last year was my first year on Facebook and I've had over 400 of the lamest trade
offers you could imagine.
I've also encountered more than my share of bullying, flakes, and lowballers, but I'm
ready to do it all over again.
My local market has actually become healthier so that will be fun to get more involved in.

My biggest problem is picking one cue to play with because I'm at the point where it is affecting my game.

Good luck, you can do it yourself

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks again to all those that have posted helpful remarks......:thumbup:
its helping me in trying to decide what to do
whether to do it myself or talk to a few sellers
or alittle of both
again if you have something to say you think would be helpful
please post or send me a pm

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks again to all those that have posted helpful remarks......:thumbup:
its helping me in trying to decide what to do
whether to do it myself or talk to a few sellers
or alittle of both
again if you have something to say you think would be helpful
please post or send me a pm

Aside from getting your price...if you are not 100% comfortable don't deal. Wait for the right buyer. Not sure if Scott from Proficient Billiards handles consignment sales but he might be worth talking to. He has a great reputation.

chipperd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue selling problem

I want to sell a custom signed and dated Richard Black here on az. The issue I am having is that 1) the cue is "full of ivory" and I don't know how to look up the laws to selling ivory cues in Florida. 2) I contacted Richard Black about the cue and is apparently worth a lot. I don't feel comfortable doing some type of online payment and then shipping it out. I am familiar with how easy it is for some buyers to scam and still keep the item. I think the only way to sell it, would be pick up, cash only. Any advice before I list it would be very greatly appreciated.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I was in Burt Kellermans will to disperse of his cue collection. His wife went another direction and cost herself somewhere in the $200. to 300 thousand range. BE CAREFUL!

I don't know one way or the other but just about everybody in the thread that is linked to below seemed to think that even before the buyer's premium the cues sold for above market value and that she made out better than should have been expected. Curious if you can give any more detail.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=174785

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
i have a bunch of cues i want to sell
all from respected cuemakers,,scruggs /gilbert/webb/ eddie cohen/tad /josswest/gina/bobby hunter/searing
most 4 point 4 veneer
some with modest inlays
some ivory joints and /or inlays
ie no szambotis or bushkas
who do you think has the best turnover of cues and gives the buyer the best prices ??
pms ok

Find someone you trust and who has insurance. Pay em 20% of gross, get info on each purchaser.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Colorado and if I had some cues to sell and could not sell them to the locals I would use Cuesblues because he is local to me.
Ted sells and buys a lot of cues and knows how to do it for out of area buyers.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to sell a custom signed and dated Richard Black here on az. The issue I am having is that 1) the cue is "full of ivory" and I don't know how to look up the laws to selling ivory cues in Florida. 2) I contacted Richard Black about the cue and is apparently worth a lot. I don't feel comfortable doing some type of online payment and then shipping it out. I am familiar with how easy it is for some buyers to scam and still keep the item. I think the only way to sell it, would be pick up, cash only. Any advice before I list it would be very greatly appreciated.

Well I am in the same boat you are. I contacted a dealer/cue seller an d his value of my cue which is loaded with ivory was $2500.00 and he said I might expect as low as $1500 - $1700. I never did business with him.

I expect in the $6500 range for my cue and based upon many opinions I feel it will go eventually. No hurry here. I get compliments and requests to look at it everywhere. Recently two play gentlemen that both own cues in the value range of my cue said my cue was far nicer looking than theirs. So I am sure of the value of my cue.

As to the dealer that lowballed me I could care less. In all likelihood I will sell locally so I do not have to go through all the rhetoric and time needed to market it.

My recommendations for sellers would be Bill Grassley, ( not sure anyone has sold as many cues as him) and the other would be Jamie Wernsman in no particular order, BTW. I have done business with both and it would probably be a coin flip between the two.

Good luck with your cue!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Colorado and if I had some cues to sell and could not sell them to the locals I would use Cuesblues because he is local to me.
Ted sells and buys a lot of cues and knows how to do it for out of area buyers.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I don't know one way or the other but just about everybody in the thread that is linked to below seemed to think that even before the buyer's premium the cues sold for above market value and that she made out better than should have been expected. Curious if you can give any more detail.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=174785

I didn't read that link but I was there for both auctipns and bought quite a few cues.
Of course they sold for substantially less than the original cost when Bert bought the cues, but more than certain people wanted to soend.
If your intent was to rob it didn't happen, and selling each cue one at a time would have brought substantially more at the end of the day.

There were tons of issues with many of those cue, some were even returned, and Vince the auction house owner actually took them back.
We all hung out together and played pool for several months after the auction, Vinces wife was a trip.
Going to the auction on a Sunday became a thing to do...like the gun & Nazi auctions.

Many cues were not stored very well, and I suspect many had issues when Bert purchased them.
The amount Mrs Kellernan received was a little under what a dealer would have paid for the entire lot, and that is the direction she should have gone had she cared.
She obviously didn't care and there were many collections Bert owned worth far more than the cue collection.
Bert had very eclectic tastes, many of the cues weren't for everybody, many valuable cues never made it to the auction, and some even sold for more than they were worth.

The guys who went into it solely to make money did quite well, I just bought the cues I wanted regardless of value, and when I sold them I didn't lose or make a big profit.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have a bunch of cues i want to sell
all from respected cuemakers,,scruggs /gilbert/webb/ eddie cohen/tad /josswest/gina/bobby hunter/searing
most 4 point 4 veneer
some with modest inlays
some ivory joints and /or inlays
ie no szambotis or bushkas
who do you think has the best turnover of cues and gives the buyer the best prices ??
pms ok

Hi Larry;

You've already rec'd some good advice in this thread and I'll try to add/reinforce a little more.

Establishing *realistic* prices for what you are looking to sell is a necessary first step. The cue market, generally speaking, is down and so pricing accordingly will be important along with a few other things like:

Detailed and accurate descriptions along with complete specs - don't make prospective buyers chase after you to get add'l info that should have been included in your first post.

Pictures can make or break a sale - get very good quality pics. Recently I was sincerely interested in a high end cue here on az and the pics were so crappy that I couldn't tell for sure if it was linen or leather wrap - this was a $3.5k cue. Of course I could have messaged the seller for clarification or better pics but I lost interest and moved on. Make it easy for customers to do biz with you.

As has been pointed out, there are low-ballers, guys wanting to trade even though you specified in BOLD RED; NO TRADES, and the 200 questioners, and vanishing actors, etc, etc. It's part of the selling landscape and you just accept this is a part of selling.

While you can certainly do better financially selling the cues on your own, for some people, and you may well be one of them, the convenience of handing this job off to someone who is capable and trustworthy can have a big appeal. :smile:

If you would like me to help with establishing values, I'd be happy to; just give me a call.

best,
brian kc

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
people should use pictures ,good pictures and complete instructions

I don't foollow that rule because I am a professional salesman

I use ads to make the phone ring

I then qualify my prospects

Its not talking them into something that I do

Its finding out if i have anything they would like

Also by requiring people to call I cull out the ones who are tire kickers or picture watchers only

so by the time my phone rings I usually sell something

If you are not comfortable with this interaction,then put your info out there so they either want it or not

And when or if they ask routine questions like will you take less
You can confidently say,no I won't and I'll tell you why.

This cue is ;already priced right,all you need to do is pay for it and you already have a bargain priced cue

of course if you are high,good by sale

The trouble with dealers that I have found is this,a very able customer calls on your cue with the cash,but he can make more by selling his own so the dealer directs your customer to his product

And he is getting 20% for what,now he tells you that you are too high
They also have the ability to take trades and this usually means two sets of books

Not all dealers are like this ,but some of the better named ones I have used
are.

Now Kicken chicken has been very honest with me in dealings as have others,I don't really know is they take consignments.If they do,you might try them

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
people should use pictures ,good pictures and complete instructions

I don't foollow that rule because I am a professional salesman

I use ads to make the phone ring

I then qualify my prospects

Its not talking them into something that I do

Its finding out if i have anything they would like

Also by requiring people to call I cull out the ones who are tire kickers or picture watchers only

so by the time my phone rings I usually sell something

If you are not comfortable with this interaction,then put your info out there so they either want it or not

And when or if they ask routine questions like will you take less
You can confidently say,no I won't and I'll tell you why.

This cue is ;already priced right,all you need to do is pay for it and you already have a bargain priced cue

of course if you are high,good by sale

The trouble with dealers that I have found is this,a very able customer calls on your cue with the cash,but he can make more by selling his own so the dealer directs your customer to his product

And he is getting 20% for what,now he tells you that you are too high
They also have the ability to take trades and this usually means two sets of books

Not all dealers are like this ,but some of the better named ones I have used
are.

Now Kicken chicken has been very honest with me in dealings as have others,I don't really know is they take consignments.If they do,you might try them

A lot of that makes sense and I wish it were that easy for normal people.
Dean, you can pull it off because you are far from normal, and I highly doubt you get the stupid questions like "what is the balance point."

I like the part about the "picture watchers."
My problem is the question asking fools who have no intention of buying anything even if they make a deal.
There are a handful of guys who go around asking the same questions over and over, even negotiate deals before they disappear
I've seen similar behavior since my first days on AZ back in 2006, but with social media a new wave of these guys are coming at me from all over the world.
There must be something I do to attract them because I let it go for a while before I cut it off completely.
The sure sign that you have one of these flakes on your hands is the balance point question.
In 12 straight years of doing this stuff, quite a bit in the last 6 years, I have never sold a cue to a guy who asked what the balance point is.
I don't and won't respond to the balance point question, which is a cop-out question.
No serious buyer has ever asked me about the balance point.

I really wish I could do things they way you do, and others who have tried it have failed miserably, because it only works for you.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Has anyone ever taken a poll on a cue value? Maybe $200 increments to determine a perceived market value? Obviously you would have to toss high and low values due to bias, but the middle may be accurate.