For all those that have doubted my ideas to help improve this sport.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Here's something for you to think about, seeing how you don't quite understand, which is why you posted your snide remark;)

Maybe I'm just stupid enough to sponsor some $20,000 added Pros only 16 player Pro Tour stops, promoting single elimination, race to 21, with match time limits of 3 hrs, and pay ALL the players, 9-16 $500 ea, 5-8th $1,000 ea, 3-4th $2,000 ea 2nd $4,000 1st $8,000 on a Saturday.....as a way of promoting my new adhesive....I could be that stupid I guess;) what would be even more stupid is if there was no entry fee;)

I'm not that good at math, but.......
$8,000
$4,000
$2,000
$2,000
$1,000
$1,000
$1,000
$500
$500
$500
$500
$500
$500
$500
$500

=

$23,000

Just sayin.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm not that good at math, but.......
$8,000
$4,000
$2,000
$2,000
$1,000
$1,000
$1,000
$500
$500
$500
$500
$500
$500
$500
$500

=

$23,000

Just sayin.[/QUOTE

You left out $1,000.] Each round pays $4,000, Ă— 4 rounds, $16,000 winner gets double the second place payout, $8,000 = $24,000 !

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's just an idea at the point, but the glue sales is already doing fine. But I will say this, in all the years I've been on AZB, none of you have come up with a plan using your own money, but sure have cried about pool is dying, pool is dead, there's no money. And I agree, there is no money to sponsor tournaments so the .amateurs can keep playing against the Pros, but there is money to support the Pros without all the dead weight hanging on them insisting they have a right to play the Pros:rolleyes:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just an idea at the point, but the glue sales is already doing fine. But I will say this, in all the years I've been on AZB, none of you have come up with a plan using your own money, but sure have cried about pool is dying, pool is dead, there's no money. And I agree, there is no money to sponsor tournaments so the .amateurs can keep playing against the Pros, but there is money to support the Pros without all the dead weight hanging on them insisting they have a right to play the Pros:rolleyes:

a) you haven't done a thing yet, and

b) you were already called out about your false claim about having never mentioned pool and your glue together, and ignored it.

It is generally a good idea to actually accomplish the accomplishment before patting yourself on the back for the accomplishment. Being honest about what you've said in the past is a good idea as well.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not true.
Sorry about nitpicking but (at least)Dennis Walsh, Bill Maropulous, Bob Jewett and Dr. Dave have done a lot to promote pool AND used their own money while doing it.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not true.
Sorry about nitpicking but (at least)Dennis Walsh, Bill Maropulous, Bob Jewett and Dr. Dave have done a lot to promote pool AND used their own money while doing it.

Should add renfro, POV pool, big truck, tom hay, probably a few more too.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yeah, I can still remember all the Pro players tournaments they've sponsored now that I think about it:eek:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Yeah, I can still remember all the Pro players tournaments they've sponsored now that I think about it:eek:

Can't speak to the specifics of the others but Bob Jewett was putting at least $10,000 a year for many years out of his own pocket to do the straight pool challenge at the DCC among other things. That is a lot of money over the years directly financing a tournament in full, and he provided the labor to run it too, and he wasn't doing it to try to make any kind of profit either. He is owed a lot of appreciation IMO as are the rest for whatever their contributions have been.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Greg Sullivan and I sponsored the BigFoot Ten Ball Challenge for several years (16K added!). It quickly became the most popular event at DCC.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Sell your product. Make money, why do you care what guys with pool cues worth more than their daughters car sell for. Maybe prioritizing is your issue.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Can't speak to the specifics of the others but Bob Jewett was putting at least $10,000 a year for many years out of his own pocket to do the straight pool challenge at the DCC among other things. That is a lot of money over the years directly financing a tournament in full, and he provided the labor to run it too, and he wasn't doing it to try to make any kind of profit either. He is owed a lot of appreciation IMO as are the rest for whatever their contributions have been.

Yeah, I know, i haven't been doing anything for pool for the last 35 years!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Yeah, I know, i haven't been doing anything for pool for the last 35 years!

I didn't say you haven't, and you have certainly done some great things that have advanced equipment in the game. That doesn't change that you unfairly disparaged a number of guys by saying they haven't done anything for the pros or pro tournaments when at least some of those that were being discussed clearly have. I was just correcting what was obviously a mischaracterization of some people and you realize it was a mischaracterization as well so not sure why you aren't walking that one back. I think we all do, or at least should, have appreciation for all who have contributed to the game in whatever manner, and even more so when it isn't even motivated by profit or recognition.