Regarding Mezz Sonic Break Tip

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a Mezz Power Break Kai break cue, which I got in yesterday. I was assured by the Seyberts account rep as well as the Mezzusa account rep that the Sonic tip that comes on it, unlike some phenolic tips, will not do any visible damage to a cue ball. My definition of visible damage is leaving any permanent marks or scars on the cue ball.

I practiced with it last night for the first time, using a brand new just out of the package Pro Cup Measle ball - as I wanted to be able to definitively tell if the tip was imparting any permanent scars on the cue ball. I probably broke around 30 times with it, at various break speeds. I very much liked the solid feel of the cue and tip.

However, after doing a thorough cleaning and polishing of the new cue ball following my session, I am noticing some faint half moon shaped yellowish scars on the surface of the cue ball, I can only assume were left from the Sonic tip. I'm planning to continue using the same new cue ball exclusively when I'm practicing with this this break cue/tip, so I'll easily be able to notice if more of these scars continue to show up permanently on the new measle cue ball.

If I do confirm that is indeed the case, I may consider sending the shaft back to be re-tipped with a Samsara break tip. Just curious as to what others who have used this Mezz Sonic tip have experienced in regards to permanent marks it puts on the cue balls?

As a room owner/manager, I'm certainly more sensitive to this issue than a player who is playing at their local poolroom, as I try to keep our nearly new measle cue balls we use exclusively for our weekly 9-ball tournaments in as good a condition as absolutely possible.

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I think if you have a hard enough break, it is probably possible to damage the cue ball with just about any hard tip. With a softer tip, you would probably damage the tip or the cue first. That said, my so-so break is as far as I can tell unable to damage a cue ball with the sonic tip and I have been using them for the last 7 or 8 years.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will agree with Masayoshi and I will also add that it is bound to happen. It’s just a matter of time when the marks will show on the cb.

I have used the measle cb while practicing my break with a PB PRO with an H shaft & Sonic tip and I have observed the same thing.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will agree with Masayoshi and I will also add that it is bound to happen. It’s just a matter of time when the marks will show on the cb.

I have used the measle cb while practicing my break with a PB PRO with an H shaft & Sonic tip and I have observed the same thing.
To confirm, when you say you observe the same thing, do you mean the half moon yellowish scars? And when you say it's just a matter of time before the scars show up, this was the very first time this tip was used on a brand new cue ball - so it certainly didn't take a matter of time - it occurred the first time!

My break is solid and I absolutely never miscue on my break, but I wouldn't say my break is particularly hard compared to many hard breakers - likely in the low 20s mph range, whereas our harder breakers can register in the mid to upper 20s mph range.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To confirm, when you say you observe the same thing, do you mean the half moon yellowish scars? And when you say it's just a matter of time before the scars show up, this was the very first time this tip was used on a brand new cue ball - so it certainly didn't take a matter of time - it occurred the first time!

My break is solid and I absolutely never miscue on my break, but I wouldn't say my break is particularly hard compared to many hard breakers - likely in the low 20s mph range, whereas our harder breakers can register in the mid to upper 20s mph range.

Yes I am referring to the yellow marks.

I said it’s just a matter of time because some can’t hit the cb square/solid & close to the center...so for those people the wear will show later than yours or mine. We probably have a similar break as I do hit the cb well and I don’t have a fast/hard break either. I do pop & squat the cb close to the center of the table.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I am referring to the yellow marks.

I said it’s just a matter of time because some can’t hit the cb square/solid & close to the center...so for those people the wear will show later than yours or mine. We probably have a similar break as I do hit the cb well and I don’t have a fast/hard break either. I do pop & squat the cb close to the center of the table.
I would think off-center hits on the cue ball, when breaking hard, would cause even worse scars on the cue balls than a solid hit near the center of the cue ball?

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the same marks on cueball, using Mezz Kai with Sonic tip. However, i like that tip is a good mix of phenolic power and good cueball control. Any other phenolic tip will leave the same marks, my jump cue with phenolic tip leaves more ugly marks on cueball.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
The samsara or gator tip leaves less marks on the cue ball than the Sonic, I reckoned.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like using either a WB or Ultraskin HH for breaking. Get good ball speed and no marks that i can see. I'm also cheap when it comes to tips. ;)

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if the Hammerhead tip by Outsville leaves marks on the cue ball?

Hammerhead somewhat close to Sonic tip, but it doesn't leave as much marks as the Sonic unless u miss cue a lot. But if u break normally, I've never seen my cueballs having any marks.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hammerhead somewhat close to Sonic tip, but it doesn't leave as much marks as the Sonic unless u miss cue a lot. But if u break normally, I've never seen my cueballs having any marks.
Timothy, I see you have a Mezz break cue and I assume you've tried both the Sonic and the Hammerhead tips. Which do you prefer between the two tips, and why? Also, which shaft do you prefer between the Mezz Pro H and the Mezz Pro R, and why? - Thanks!

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use the Mezz PB1 butt, I have the original D1 shaft and both Pro-R and Pro-H shaft.

Timothy, I see you have a Mezz break cue and I assume you've tried both the Sonic and the Hammerhead tips. Which do you prefer between the two tips, and why?

There are advantage in every break tips. I’d say the best tip for my break is the hammerhead.

The hammerhead is better than Sonic imo. Even with miss cue or bad stroke your hammerhead tip does not burn or change its shape even after long use, but with the sonic, it does change it shape or turn conical if u extend your stroke along the table cloth. So imo you need more maintenance with the sonic tip. With the hammerhead u just need to scuff the tip occasionally to let it hold chalk better. There is more control and power with the hammerhead imo too, sound is louder too.

If u like control, I think hammerhead is better, or the first gen Samsara j/b tip, the ones with packaging are the new ones, I felt they do not break as good as the first gen. A good alternative of the samsara is Gator tip. (You can contact cueaddicts on here)

Also, which shaft do you prefer between the Mezz Pro H and the Mezz Pro R, and why? - Thanks!

Pro R imo. Pro H takes time to get used to but it certainly can smash racks with lesser effort compared to the Pro R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the Mezz PB1 butt, I have the original D1 shaft and both Pro-R and Pro-H shaft.

There are advantage in every break tips. I’d say the best tip for my break is the hammerhead.

The hammerhead is better than Sonic imo. Even with miss cue or bad stroke your hammerhead tip does not burn or change its shape even after long use, but with the sonic, it does change it shape or turn conical if u extend your stroke along the table cloth. So imo you need more maintenance with the sonic tip. With the hammerhead u just need to scuff the tip occasionally to let it hold chalk better. There is more control and power with the hammerhead imo too, sound is louder too.

If u like control, I think hammerhead is better, or the first gen Samsara j/b tip, the ones with packaging are the new ones, I felt they do not break as good as the first gen. A good alternative of the samsara is Gator tip. (You can contact cueaddicts on here)

Pro R imo. Pro H takes time to get used to but it certainly can smash racks with lesser effort compared to the Pro R.

Yeah, I don't quite understand the concept of the 4" shorter butt on the power break II butt, which means the break cue is only 54" as opposed to the standard 58". I'm 6'5", so that wouldn't work for me. So in your opinion, would a Deep Impact II shaft play any significantly different than the Deep Impact Pro R shaft?

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't quite understand the concept of the 4" shorter butt on the power break II butt, which means the break cue is only 54" as opposed to the standard 58". I'm 6'5", so that wouldn't work for me. So in your opinion, would a Deep Impact II shaft play any significantly different than the Deep Impact Pro R shaft?

D2 or D1 shafts are not as stiff as the Pro R shaft, you’ll more control with the D2 or D1 shaft imo. But more power for the pro R.