Huebler Cue

tholman10511

Registered
Did Paul Huebler ever make a custom shop cue without putting his name on the cue.
I have a two piece custom cue I acquired around 30 years ago in a pool hall and it looks like a Huebler chess series but I'm not sure. If I get verification he built cues unsigned I will post pics.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Paul Huebler ever make a custom shop cue without putting his name on the cue.
I have a two piece custom cue I acquired around 30 years ago in a pool hall and it looks like a Huebler chess series but I'm not sure. If I get verification he built cues unsigned I will post pics.

There were cues out of the Huebler custom shop.....they were marked under the bumper with the year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HueblerFan#1

Registered
He didn't sign every cue, if the original bumper is on the cue it will say custom shop and typically the year... lets see the cue, its hard not to recognize a chess cue from him

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marked something like this if it from the custom shop...
eff8b40816d0392b193de2f5192e0e3a.jpg

tholman10511

Registered
Ok, I've never had the bumper off. I'm out of town till Friday but when I get home I will upload some pics.

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue ID

Looks to be possibly one of, if not first of the checkerboard custom cues by Huebler. Would be in the 70s. At this time I do not think the date was engraved on his customs. Could have been with Meuccis help? Not a Chess cue. This possibly could be quite collectible to Huebler enthusiasts. I would like to own it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Well, it looks typical of a Huebler checkerboard design. However, that bumper looks way off. Paul used a brown bumper, and it didn't occupy the entire outer space of the buttplate. Not sure.

All the best,
WW

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it looks typical of a Huebler checkerboard design. However, that bumper looks way off. Paul used a brown bumper, and it didn't occupy the entire outer space of the buttplate. Not sure.

All the best,
WW

^^^^^^
This. It looks like a copy to me. Paul's work was very clean, and even the diamond in the butt sleeve looks off. Would need to be seen in person, but my guess is it's not the real deal.

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, are there inserts in the shafts that the joint pin screws into? If so are they nylon or metal?

tholman10511

Registered
I believe they are nylon and it must be the photo making the work not look clean. I am a finish carpenter of 30+ years. This work is very clean

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nylon inserts in the shaft indicated Huebler. It definitely is a Huebler pattern, and maybe your photos are not so good.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Definitely looks like Pauls' early work. I believe the cue was probably bumper-less, to begin with. Someone added that bumper to protect it, but not Paul. Like stated above, he only used brown bumpers.

onefastmfn71

21 oz ebony....old school
Silver Member

Paul used black bumpers in the early days. First they were small pill bumpers, then he started using a larger size.

Attachments

• RH Brochure.jpg
    RH Brochure.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 396
  • Renaissance_H1_H14_b.jpg
    Renaissance_H1_H14_b.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 545

tholman10511

Registered
I don't know the age, it was used when I bought it 34 years ago. Guy said he paid around 400 for it new

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A beautiful old cue. I wasn't sure on it being a Huebler just looking at the buttcap/bumper and the width of the veneers looked a little off, but seems it is. I am not sure if you are just looking for info, or considering selling it, but if the latter I am sure there are people on here that would make good offers on it. Count me among them.