View Single Post
Old
  (#19)
Casual Observer
Viva... yeah whatever
Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-07-2019, 03:06 PM

I'm torn on this issue. So many of the homeless folks out there have acute mental illnesses and/or addictions. On one hand, not forcing then off the streets into institutions for treatment and sustenance seems heartless. On the other hand, forcing them to violates their liberty. I can't stand the government's never-ending and insatiable appetite for stripping citizens of their liberty (particularity the Left, they're just evil in that regard).
I travel a lot and have been to a number of different countries. Homelessness isn't an exclusively American problem, but I feel it is uniquely American in some ways- particularly in terms of politics.
Vegas is one of the worst places of all. I've been there dozens of times and it's always been an issue. The homeless there just seem worse off to me. I chalk it up primarily due to the ease with which they can get booze. It'd be worse if they had a bottle return policy, but it's already severe.
I understand why we stopped the policy of involuntary institutionalization for the mentally ill a few decades ago. But, as is always the case with government action, there are (supposedly) unintended consequences; one of which is what you see on the streets of Vegas and in cities all across the country.
I've been guilty of buying a tallboy for homeless a few times in the past, but have stopped doing it. Instead, I'll occasionally pick up a sandwich if I'm close to a convenience store or Wal Greens for a homeless person. I like beer as much as the next guy, but just feel better about given them food instead.

"...And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw..."

Neil Peart

...I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine...
Atlas Shrugged