Book Finally Coming?

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Not all.

For instance, fractional alignments produce the same angle cuts (e.g., a half ball hit produces a 30-degree cut) at any CB/OB distance - so long as you remember that the cut angle is measured from the CB-to-ghost ball line.

And since CTE is derived from fractional aiming, it probably "works" at all distances too.

pj
chgo

Thanks for the funny post. I've never heard of the GB fraction method before. I thought the fraction gave the GB position.

Set up a 30* cut with less than an inch separation. A half ball hit won't do squat.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Thanks for the funny post. I've never heard of the GB fraction method before. I thought the fraction gave the GB position.

Set up a 30* cut with less than an inch separation. A half ball hit won't do squat.
Which of these cue balls is too close to produce a 30-degree cut?

pj
chgo

half ball.jpg

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
This is gonna be fun........

Using the drawing posted, draw another line that runs through the center of the balls, with the starting point on the arrow line......that line is the OB line to wherever.....

That’s a 150 degree cut shot.......

Oh and notice..........your are not hitting 1/2 a ball........

Just to be fair........

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This is gonna be fun........

Using the drawing posted, draw another line that runs through the center of the balls, with the starting point on the arrow line......that line is the OB line to wherever.....

That’s a 150 degree cut shot.......

Oh and notice..........your are not hitting 1/2 a ball........

Just to be fair........
Start making sense.

pj <- yeah, right
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Even though CTE can be used for combinations, adjustments are not uncommon.

Connie Shuffett

No adjustments necessary I suppose if the two object balls are lined straight into the pocket, right? I mean, the system is supposed to always connect to one of the 8 90° angles on a 2x1 pool table, so unless the two balls in the combo are lined straight toward the pocket it won't work because the 1st ball (the one used go get your visuals) will automatically be sent toward the pocket, not to where it needs to be in order to send the 2nd ball toward the pocket.

justcueit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No adjustments necessary I suppose if the two object balls are lined straight into the pocket, right? I mean, the system is supposed to always connect to one of the 8 90° angles on a 2x1 pool table, so unless the two balls in the combo are lined straight toward the pocket it won't work because the 1st ball (the one used go get your visuals) will automatically be sent toward the pocket, not to where it needs to be in order to send the 2nd ball toward the pocket.

No, straight in or otherwise applies to what Stan said.

Connie Shuffett

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by BC21

No, straight in or otherwise applies to what Stan said.

Connie Shuffett

Straight in makes sense, according to how Stan says the system puts you on the shot line for a center pocket shot. But it's extremely illogical to suggest that the system also works on combos where the balls aren't lined up straight to the pocket.

This is an example of poor PR, ambiguous instructions, ridiculous claims, etc... Here is the correct reply when someone asks if the system works for combos:

CTE PRO1 is used for all shots where a cue ball is used to pocket an object ball. This includes straight in shots, cut shots, and bank shots. Combination shots usually require aiming adjustments outside of the system parameters, unless the object balls just happen to be lined up in such a manner that the 2nd ball in the combination is perfectly aligned between the first ball and the pocket, which does occur on occasion, though not typically.

Saying anything else about combos and CTE is just a turnoff for anyone with basic common sense.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can pretty much toss out distance. For a given close up cue ball-object relation, one of the perceptions will work.

Concerning combinations: Typically the way two balls lay on a table with a cue ball, one of the perceptions will almost always produce a hit. A hit guarantees nothing, but for combinations most players are happy to use the entire width of the pocket. So, many combinations can be pocketed in a slop pocket manner. Who cares? Many combinations will also need adjustments to the perception. Bottom line: CTE is not exact for combinations, but the CTE perceptions will offer a hit and many times will pocket the ball without adjustment.

Stan does not switch to conventional vision when combinations appear.

Connie Shuffett

Straight in makes sense, according to how Stan says the system puts you on the shot line for a center pocket shot. But it's extremely illogical to suggest that the system also works on combos where the balls aren't lined up straight to the pocket.

This is an example of poor PR, ambiguous instructions, ridiculous claims, etc... Here is the correct reply when someone asks if the system works for combos:

CTE PRO1 is used for all shots where a cue ball is used to pocket an object ball. This includes straight in shots, cut shots, and bank shots. Combination shots usually require aiming adjustments outside of the system parameters, unless the object balls just happen to be lined up in such a manner that the 2nd ball in the combination is perfectly aligned between the first ball and the pocket, which does occur on occasion, though not typically.

Saying anything else about combos and CTE is just a turnoff for anyone with basic common sense.

Brian, i think you misread the answer for combo's.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
They all produce a 30° cut (minus a little throw), but the one right against the ob will produce a hell of a lot more throw.
The same amount as with any stun hit - less with rotation on the CB.

The question here is whether they're all half ball hits (measured from the CB's line of travel) or all different hits (measured from the CB/OB centerlines). I think we both know the answer to that.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian, i think you misread the answer for combo's.

No. I posted that CTE would only work on combos if both object balls just happen to be lined up straight into the pocket, else adjustments in aim would have to be made. According to Connie, Stan's reply to this was....

"No, straight in or otherwise applies to what Stan said."

And what she was referring to with "what Stan said" is....

"Bottom line: CTE is not exact for combinations, but the CTE perceptions will offer a hit and many times will pocket the ball without adjustment."

The part I put in bold was not needed, and not exactly true. "Rarely" would be more accurate than "many times". Just pointing out one of the reasons Stan has been badgered all these years about some claims he makes that defy logic. It's no knock to CTE to admit that it is not intended for combination shots. No sense in trying to explain why or trying to claim that "many times" CTE works on combos with no adjustments needed, because it's not many times. It's only when the balls are in line straight to a pocket. Be realistic and people will accept things with an open mind. Be unrealistic and you lose a lot of people due to the bs factor.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The same amount as with any stun hit - less with rotation on the CB.

The question here is whether they're all half ball hits (measured from the CB's line of travel) or all different hits (measured from the CB/OB centerlines). I think we both know the answer to that.

pj
chgo

That's correct. I was referencing a rolling cb hit, and there would be no roll from that close, so stun is unavoidable. Mathematically speaking, they all produce a 30° angle.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
There’s no “think” to it. He just looked at the words minus any comprehension.

Connie Shuffett

That's the problem with some of what Stan says about CTE. He uses words that are difficult to comprehend because they lack reason and logic. CTE involves visuals between the cb and ob, which supposedly connects the ob to a pocket every time. Introducing a 3rd ball, like with a combination shot, interferes with the ob's path to its connected pocket. This means you have to tweak or adjust your CTE perception, or simply use a different aiming method, to pocket combos. It's that simple, and it shouldn't be something Stan has to spin in order to preserve the integrity of CTE. Be honest, be real, and more people will listen.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. I posted that CTE would only work on combos if both object balls just happen to be lined up straight into the pocket, else adjustments in aim would have to be made. According to Connie, Stan's reply to this was....

"No, straight in or otherwise applies to what Stan said."

And what she was referring to with "what Stan said" is....

"Bottom line: CTE is not exact for combinations, but the CTE perceptions will offer a hit and many times will pocket the ball without adjustment."

The part I put in bold was not needed, and not exactly true. "Rarely" would be more accurate than "many times". Just pointing out one of the reasons Stan has been badgered all these years about some claims he makes that defy logic. It's no knock to CTE to admit that it is not intended for combination shots. No sense in trying to explain why or trying to claim that "many times" CTE works on combos with no adjustments needed, because it's not many times. It's only when the balls are in line straight to a pocket. Be realistic and people will accept things with an open mind. Be unrealistic and you lose a lot of people due to the bs factor.
"Concerning combinations: Typically the way two balls lay on a table with a cue ball, one of the perceptions will almost always produce a hit. A hit guarantees nothing, but for combinations most players are happy to use the entire width of the pocket. So, many combinations can be pocketed in a slop pocket manner. Who cares? Many combinations will also need adjustments to the perception. Bottom line: CTE is not exact for combinations, but the CTE perceptions will offer a hit and many times will pocket the ball without adjustment."
Seems you just want to put a spin on it. Most combos are straight in. Others require a small adjustment. The rest you should probably just play safe. So "many times" would be quite accurate when describing how often you can use CTE with combos.