Straight Stroke? close your eyes

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If this has been posted before I did not see it.
A good 100 ball runner in 14.1 that was old in the 1950's told me a good way to check if your mechanics are good is, not just hitting a rail and coming back. Set up shots 3 or 4' from the pocket at first, with the QB at least 2' away from OB. When you feel you have the shot locked in, close your eyes and fire it in. Open eyes right after the follow through so you can see which side of the pocket you missed on...if you did miss.

Anytime I'm missing more long shots than normal for me, I check my stroke this way. It helps me. Johnnyt

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Thanks for the tip. This is something that those "stroke trainers" can't and don't help with.

getsome01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

johnnyt, your giving out some big secrets now. this is so true......... this will fix your stroke. learn what it feels like to stroke a ball correctly with your eyes closed.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
By taking away one of your senses,the other senses are amplified. So by closing your eyes, your feel and awareness for your stroke are amplified. Really helps speed up the process of grooving a straight stroke into your muscle memory.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
If this has been posted before I did not see it.
A good 100 ball runner in 14.1 that was old in the 1950's told me a good way to check if your mechanics are good is, not just hitting a rail and coming back. Set up shots 3 or 4' from the pocket at first, with the QB at least 2' away from OB. When you feel you have the shot locked in, close your eyes and fire it in. Open eyes right after the follow through so you can see which side of the pocket you missed on...if you did miss.

Anytime I'm missing more long shots than normal for me, I check my stroke this way. It helps me. Johnnyt

I do this drill when I fall out of stroke....A couple things I might add....When you "lock in" on the aim don't just close your eyes...try and maintain that "last" image when your eyes are closed.....IMO this helps build the "quiet eye" when you shoot with your eyes open. It also helps keep you from jumping up....with your eyes closed you will be fully aware of any unecessary movement.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I often have my students close their eyes when trying to develop a consistent repeatable stroke. Once you know where your grip hand is supposed to finish, it actually makes learning a good straight stroke a bit easier.

Steve

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
By taking away one of your senses,the other senses are amplified. So by closing your eyes, your feel and awareness for your stroke are amplified. Really helps speed up the process of grooving a straight stroke into your muscle memory.

I never really thought about that part of it. I know I know how to make balls, so when I'm not it's either I have somehow picked up a bad habit (usually leaning off balance because of old age pains), or if I'm poccking balls with eyes closed it turns out to be some mental thing or not linning up right during pre-shot. Johnnyt

Gammaray

Wanna Play Sum?
Silver Member

So that's why SVB plays so good! :D