picking the right cue tip for you

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
Been trying a lot of different tips and it feels like its affected my game. I generally have liked a stiff hit. IMO there is more than one way and a combination of things to get that. woods joint style tapper joint material and tip hardness whats the difference in using a stiff hitting cue with a soft tip verse a softer hitting cue with a hard tip. how does it effect spin does one setup work better for a certain playing style. soft stroke finesse or a power stroke like to move the cue ball lots. Sorry if this is a duplicat post somehow and please no negativity which seems impossible these days.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Without any negativity implied, you just have to try out as many tip types, tip hardness's, and tip lengths as you can. When that process is complete, you will doubtless have settled in on one that works best for your particular style of play. :smile:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If I could make a suggestion, now would be a good opportunity for you to try out one of Tom Hay's new tips. It's a layered tip and comes in all the available hardness's.
Word is that it installs and shapes beautifully, which I always considered the hallmark of a good tip. Check out his website.
Also. Try a medium first. If you don't like it your decision is simple. Either hard, or soft. :smile:

P.S. And, learn to play One Pocket. You'll thank me and Grady, later.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, a hit that's stiff primarily due to a densely grained or thick-taper shaft is not the equivalent of a hit that's stiff because of a harder tip. They may feel similar to your hand but way the cue ball comes off will just have different mechanics.

The question of the right tip hardness (other than obviously tied to the method of cue ball control you most like to use) is based on your cue properties including shaft weight, diameter, and overall cue weight. For instance, with a harder-hitting shaft or heavier cue, you'd need to go with a much softer tip to be able to maximize spin on slow-speed shots, whereas with a lighter cue with a thinner shaft, you actually want a medium-to-hard tip to get the cue ball moving enough that the spin isn't gone by time the cue ball reaches the object ball.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I already have the new SIB Tom Hayes tips on order. I've tried a lot of tips and cues LD and none 11.5 to 13mm I have been leaning towards stiff hit medium to hard tips but for some reason primarily my ability to draw the cue ball has gone down a lot. been thinking about going back to a soft tip and have never tried a super soft

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Your experience

I already have the new SIB Tom Hayes tips on order. I've tried a lot of tips and cues LD and none 11.5 to 13mm I have been leaning towards stiff hit medium to hard tips but for some reason primarily my ability to draw the cue ball has gone down a lot. been thinking about going back to a soft tip and have never tried a super soft

Every ones opinion on which tip is the best is different.
Always has been , my best guess is it will always be that way too.............

Nearest I can tell, most pros can shoot with anything and still play pretty dam good.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I agree with you. Its hard to say that any 2 people have the same stroke and feel is subjective just like vision. what I think hits stiff might be soft to someone who shoots with something that's a tank.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Ive there & tried that with so many combos its crazy. After years & years of trying everything & going thru hundreds of cues & combos i think i have a formula that works best for me.

Ivory Joint, ivory ferrule (maple shaft, definitely NOT ld), 12.75 mm shaft.
2 tips i favor are Ultraskin Pro or Kamui clear black soft.

Just tried out a cyborg black soft and its similar to my liking and have been enjoying it.
Going to try out Tom's new SIB pros soon. My package was stolen or put in wrong box on Monday, so the SIB testing got pushed back a little.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Getting lazy with soft tips

I agree with you. Its hard to say that any 2 people have the same stroke and feel is subjective just like vision. what I think hits stiff might be soft to someone who shoots with something that's a tank.

Kick this around .

Some tips like kamui softs have allot of grip . so much grip hitting center of cue may not seem that important as a big priority of your shot.

I have 4 shafts for my main player and have another 20 shafts that will fit my main player .
At any time I can play with a cue that has a different tip on it, and its not a issue because I practice hitting center cue ball.

Put a piece of scotch tape over your tip and don't chalk up .
Practice hitting center of cue ball and what tip you use becomes less important .
You force your self to shoot natural leaves or cue ball position without using spin .
Problem is tons of new players don't know how to hit center of cue ball.
Even good players need to tune themselves up every once in a while and do drills hitting center of cue ball.

Ps I think I can get more draw using a hard plastic tip then I can with a Kamui soft ..
But I think I have more control with the Kamui tip .....