Quick question about mounting a Diamond table light

Kurzweil

Registered
So I recently got a 9ft. Diamond Pro-Am, and will soon be mounting the light over it (with the help of an electrician).

I know that it's not a good idea to stand on the table itself, but can a board be laid across the rails, or will we need to put a scaffold over the table?

Kurzweil

Registered
That's a good point. I did suggest that, but the electrician didn't sound crazy about it, appearing more inclined to make a big production out of it with a scaffold and charge me more. ;) I'm mainly curious how other people have done it, as I'm surely not the first to install the light after the table's in place.

Two ladders and a couple of scaffold boards.

Why take the risk?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hung my light myself by standing on top of my GC. I put the vinyl cover on (first and last time, ha ha), and layed some folded bath towels on top where I rested the heavy light on the table. I think the biggest danger, is dropping a tool on the table, and cutting the cloth.

Since then, I've stood on the table dozens of times, to take an overhead picture of a layout. When I do that, I wear socks only, and jump right up on the cloth. Never had any issues.

<=== Not a table mechanic, or electrician, but worked great for me:)

*Edit:
1. I avoid the slate seams when I stand on the table. If you have a 1 piece slate Diamond, then no need to worry about that.
2. My light was not as big a the Diamond light, but it was still a heavy wood fluorescent style light made by Brunswick (not their GC light). I was able to hang it solo, by resting one end on the table (on top of the folded bath towels), lifting the other end, and hooking the 2 chains to the ceiling hooks. Then lifting the end on the table and hooking its 2 chains to the hooks.

Last edited:

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely scaffolding over the table. That's what I did with the help of two ladders. You don't want to ruin your table or have it re-leveled.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Ah crap!!!!!
I love laying stuff out especially at work.
Best way is to lay out and mount BEFORE you get your table!
That's what I did with my Diamond light.
Nice because I could also use 2 jack stands. (Easier when fllush mounting) It's not light.
Too late for that route though.
Be careful. Good luck.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
That's a good point. I did suggest that, but the electrician didn't sound crazy about it, appearing more inclined to make a big production out of it with a scaffold and charge me more. ;) I'm mainly curious how other people have done it, as I'm surely not the first to install the light after the table's in place.
OK.
How about four ladders and scaffolding boards.

The problem is the scaffolding sections are really large.
Ask for the smallest footprint stands.
Check the rental yards

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are really going to have 2 to 4 ladders, and scaffolding? Where will you get all that? I'd think you're more likely to fall off of that contraption and break your neck, than ruin the slate level standing on the table.

To each his own:)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've gotten up on many tables with my socks on to change light bulbs and hang new lights. Never had a problem either. I'm not jumping up and down, just moving around carefully to do the job. The hardest part is getting down without breaking my neck. I've only fallen once in forty years and was lucky that I landed on my butt and not my head. :rolleyes:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks Glen.
Now, if it's a 3 piece what would you recommend?

That's a horse of a different color because of the seams, and the potential of popping a seam standing on the slates. In that case, put some towels on the rails and lay a couple of 2"×6"s across the rails from side to side, then you have something to stand on.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just stand on the damn pool table, you can't do anything to it, it's a 1 piece slate....no seams!

Glen, I'll never forget when you hung the full size Diamond light over my table. I told you that I had an electrician and his helper coming to do it and you said no problem, just go back in my office and you would take care of it yourself. Maybe forty five minutes later you told me to come take a look and there was my light hanging perfectly over the table, well strapped to the ceiling above, where it has remained in the ensuing years. It was even hooked into the electricity with a switch to turn it off and on. To this day I have no idea how you did that so fast and so well and completely by yourself. That light is one heavy MF'er!

I like to recount this story to friends when telling them how you single handily set up my Diamond table (and light). I particularly liked the way you brought it in on the dolly, wheeling it over one step, and asked me to stand on the dolly while you set it down. I stood there dutifully while you slowly lowered the table into place in my living room by yourself. You were holding the full weight of that table as you let it down. I'm thinking this guy is a BULL! :thumbup: