Panjo and Marketplace changes part 2

goatroper

Registered
i dont agree on the sub forum , from a buyers point of view , it takes me 10 seconds if that to see every thing for sale............i might not be in the market for a 1500.00 dollar cue but i see it advertised and i have to have it , and buy it . Stores dont make it hard to find items for sale , they make it easier.......or i wasnt looking for an accessory , but i viewed it when i was looking for a cue , and then i buy it............i like the feature that exists where if im looking for a Runde cue for sale i use the search feature , if im looking for a whitten cue case for sale , the search feature makes it easy for the buyer. the problem i see if im looking for a 1000.00 to 2000.00 cue it might advertised in 500.00 to a 1000.00 section , it would be easy for the buyer to miss a cue they want..........i dont think that would be good for the seller or the buyer...........i buy my cues based on if i like or want a specific cue not on whether its a cue from a certain price range ......ive bought several cues on here just browsing the " for sale" section , i wasnt even in the market for a cue , but just happen to see it and bought it..........i dont see myself or a lot of other people going to each subforum to brows just to see what is for sale........." one stop shopping" works great..... AZ Billiards has been a great place to purchase and feed my pool habit , ive bought some great items on here , and met some great people...........!!! Thanks for listening to my two cents worth .

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,

It looks great, but I'm not a fan of sub forums at this point..

The Wanted/For Sale needs action, and there aren't enough sellers now to keep page 1 moving.. Your going to see a slower forum Now with the OP being the only person able to bump a thread every 48 hours..

If you absolutely have to create a sub forum put the Ebay, and Wanted guys together..

I've found Ebay for the most part to be a dumping ground (No offense Kevin, you were one of the few exceptions)

After 6 years of replying to hundreds of the Wanted guys I've found that 95% of the guys starting a thread looking for something particular are Jack-offs (no offense to the 5%) .. I quit replying to these types of threads 2 years ago..

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont agree on the sub forum , from a buyers point of view , it takes me 10 seconds if that to see every thing for sale............i might not be in the market for a 1500.00 dollar cue but i see it advertised and i have to have it , and buy it . Stores dont make it hard to find items for sale , they make it easier.......or i wasnt looking for an accessory , but i viewed it when i was looking for a cue , and then i buy it............i like the feature that exists where if im looking for a Runde cue for sale i use the search feature , if im looking for a whitten cue case for sale , the search feature makes it easy for the buyer. the problem i see if im looking for a 1000.00 to 2000.00 cue it might advertised in 500.00 to a 1000.00 section , it would be easy for the buyer to miss a cue they want..........i dont think that would be good for the seller or the buyer...........i buy my cues based on if i like or want a specific cue not on whether its a cue from a certain price range ......ive bought several cues on here just browsing the " for sale" section , i wasnt even in the market for a cue , but just happen to see it and bought it..........i dont see myself or a lot of other people going to each subforum to brows just to see what is for sale........." one stop shopping" works great..... AZ Billiards has been a great place to purchase and feed my pool habit , ive bought some great items on here , and met some great people...........!!! Thanks for listening to my two cents worth .

Great post!!! You get it!!!

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumping

Well we are back at it. 12 of the 25 threads on the first page were bumped there by someone who is not the original poster. I get to see the same cues over and over again. Glad you guys got the action you so desperately longed for....

Kot_Bigemot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we are back at it. 12 of the 25 threads on the first page were bumped there by someone who is not the original poster. I get to see the same cues over and over again. Glad you guys got the action you so desperately longed for....
I have to agree. A**holes are bumping their friend's posts.....again.
How about this? You bump a post, you get some sort of penalty. Say, ban for a week? Or to post for a week?
Something needs to be done.
I still think that idea of ONLY OP allowed to bump is the best.

Kot_Bigemot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And here are some examples:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=4986943#post4986943
Yeah, that cue is so beautiful.....You just had to post it to bump the threat! REALLY?????
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=4986947#post4986947
Another one.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=4986717#post4986717
Everyone must know he got some chalk...
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=4986474#post4986474
Yeah, like nobody knows who the cue maker is....PLEASE!

And the list can go on. Meaningless, UNNECESSARY bumps.

Now, here is what I would suggest we all put in our for sale posts. Great idea. Right in description.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=383228

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You can change the thread sorting order to "Thread Start Time" to see all the new threads at the top.

As for the "spam bumping" going on, perhaps Mike is still in the process of lining up additional moderators who will address these bumpers with warnings or bannings.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
OK, it looks like we are still up in the air over proposed subforum changes.

I don't see any real push-back on the "only OPs can bump threads" change, so it is done.

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Moving this out to the main forum, because the new bump rules also apply to this thread.

Mike

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Moving this out to the main forum, because the new bump rules also apply to this thread.

Mike

Mike, would the same hold true for the other sticky threads (like buyer/seller transaction report)? Also, any way possible to get the "rules stickies" combined or condensed? There are a lot and it would greatly clean up the look of that part of the forum to do that, imo.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I too feel there are too many sticky's, but that's another point.
Normally I only use the "New" button anyway so then it doesn't matter.

If I am correct, bronze and silver are both free memberships, only gold costs money.
If that is correct, 2 and 5 threads per 30 days is way too much IMO. People that need
more then 1 thread per 2 months or so are for the vast majority trying to make a couple
bucks here and there. Even the most hardcore I-want-a-new-playing cue-so-have-to-sell-my-old-one
rarely do it more often then that.

So, understanding that the long term strategy is to somehow monetize the F/S section I would
suggest no more then 1 new thread per 60 days for non paying members. A gold membership
should allow you maybe 3 per 30 days. If that's not enough for you then you are selling
a whole bunch of stuff here and for that I would create a platinum membership with no
limit on the number of threads and make it $99.95 for a year (which is still a complete bargain IMO).

gr. Dave

Last edited:

Kot_Bigemot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't see any real push-back on the "only OPs can bump threads" change, so it is done.

Mike
Congratulations! Thank you for this change Mike.
Really hope this is not the end of "revolution" on here :thumbup:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
No, definitely not the end. Finishing up my usual "end of the month" project and will then be getting back on these changes as a top priority this week.

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Yes, I have moved those threads out to the main Wanted/For Sale area. Only the sticky threads will be in that area.

Mike

Mike, would the same hold true for the other sticky threads (like buyer/seller transaction report)? Also, any way possible to get the "rules stickies" combined or condensed? There are a lot and it would greatly clean up the look of that part of the forum to do that, imo.

mr5ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all of the stated new ideas/changes are great. I will be openly honest. I have been on here for a little less than a year. I am on here daily. I have tried to sell some things 100% unsuccessfully. I have been completely frustrated by watching others have their "friends" bump my ad down the forum with the fake bumps and have not found up until now a good reason to pay money into a gold membership (even as reasonably priced as it is) due to what appeared to be a lack of moderator caring about this site. No one has previously policed the fake bumps and multiple postings. If these changes are put into effect which i believe will make this site 1000 times better I absolutely would buy a gold membership.

Looking forward to seeing these changes implemented.

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike

Mike

Good changes so far. You've covered the number of threads per month enough already, but still don't address the real problem. Forum default shows 25 threads per page. When one user is responsible for half of the threads on a page at a time is still a problem. Congratulations that they have 15+ things for sale at once. But is it too much to ask to show respect towards other sellers? Let people be limited to one, two, or five active threads at a time. Who cares how many threads you start per month as long as your stuff sells and isn't continually bumped to the front to clog the forum? I know I won't.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
flag add on?

Mike,

I belong to a site that has want to buy, sell, and trade all lumped together. However there are large flags on each thread so you can see instantly if the person is wanting to buy, sell, or trade. The same thing could be done to indicate price ranges instead of what the poster wants to do and save subforums. I'm not a buyer or seller here, or only rarely a buyer, however I have never seen extreme fragmenting by adding forums be beneficial to any site.

The bad news, the other site uses different site management software and it is an add-on for that software that they use to run the classifieds there. Obviously I wouldn't recommend changing site software just to have classifieds work better but it is possible you can do similar with the software you already have or an add-on. I don't know, might be worth looking into.

I think your sale and trade limits are far too generous. You didn't say one item per thread or I have missed it, just read the first and last bit of this thread. Bronze and silver members might be limited to one new thread a week which is still generous. For those genuinely not flipping, we rarely need ad space. For those flipping, they are using your site to make a buck, only fair you get a slice of the pie.

I like a price break on cues at $1000 preferably with flags rather than splitting. One forum for all else hopefully with flags and perhaps a $500 split.

Hu

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
I know many will disagree with me but I'll say what I have in mind anyway:

Leave everything as is cos it's fine.

1) Subsections
I'm not a fan of this because I come on the WFS forum not looking for anything in specific. If I see a good deal I'll buy it! It could be a chalk I never knew I wanted or a cool cue at $400 that I never thought I'd need. It's like going to a garage sale not knowing what's there and finding something you like. I've made several purchases like that...
Breaking these items into subsections be it by pricing or types would eliminate the fun(for me at least) in seeing something cool that I'd buy even when I had to intentions prior to seeing.

I'd go as far as saying that the WTB section doesn't work. I don't even visit that section at all because there's nothing I'm looking to sell actively.
However there might be a user who posted to buy something that I have at a good price which I'd never thought I'd sell but I would have missed it cos I've never thought of selling it so I wouldn't be actively scouring that sub forum.

There maybe something I want that a fellow AZer has no intention of selling until he saw my post as he was just looking around the For Sale section. Perhaps he doesn't go on the WTB section either?

A good solution to this would be working on the "Subject/Title" of thread. Whereby when posting a new thread there is the mandatory option of picking For Sale, For Trade and Want to Buy. These words would automatically appear right beside the intended title on the main page so the poster won't need to repeat in the subject content. Then add the filter option on the page and if anyone only wants to view what's for sale then they can see it easily.

It could work the same for Cues, Case and Others. Just have these mandatory options during the posting of new threads and when done posting there could be small icons beside the post to indicate what's being sold and again it could be filtered accordingly if someone only wants to see cases.

No sure if these options are easy to put together though.

2) Allowing reply posts For Sale thread.

In general I'd agree that too many unnecessary comments ruin the for sale threads (guilty myself) however there has been replies that have helped other AZers from getting conned or cheated.

I can imagine a few lines that would save someone from getting tricked:

"This scammer already sold this cue to me and didn't mail the cue, now he's selling again!!!"

"This cue doesn't belong to him at all, it's my buddy's!"

"Same dirtbag that sent me a bag of dusts instead of the cue we agreed on"

"Check out this thread which he scammed a few AZers www.scammedXxxxx.com ..."

I know these are exaggerations or isn't happening often enough but having the option to question a seller in the post when he doesn't respond to PMs is one of the good thing about the forum where we try to protect each other from a bad deal. It doesn't happen all the time but some self policing is a good thing for the forum too.

3) Larger PM boxes...

I know I know there's already 500 for gold members...but I don't think it's that space consuming on the server to provide more or unlimited PMs? I mean it's all text anyways...its like emails...you never know when you want to refer to or need a specific PM...

All in all I think the place is already great so a huge thanks for all the effort :)

Last edited: