John Schmidt - How high will he go?

How high will he go

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This month Mr. 400 will try to break Mosconi's 526 record. Mid March 2019, 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for (how many?) weeks.

I wish him the best of luck. How high will he go?

It is supposed to be streamed live. Post a link here when it does.

I didn’t see the choice I would vote on.

Freddie <~~~ 600+ !

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give $10K and a week I bet Dennis, Filler, or Melling would taken down that 526 on the same table Schmidt ran that 400+ on.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is determined to break Mosconi's record and imo he will! Of course it is different eras and much different conditions (too many to list here) but a 527 or more will be just that, the longest recorded and witnessed run of Straight Pool of all time. The fact that it is so hard to do and John has had to make so many attempts is testament to how skilled Mosconi truly was.

Not to mention he basicly walked if off the street said here I am and ran 526 , could you imagine how many balls he might have run if he took a month to set a mark on these tables cleaning and polishing balls ,

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it would take a much bigger prize than 100k for the pros at large to all go after the record like John is. I put the number at 1 million. Otherwise, they will all stay in bed.

Imo:)

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler did 280+ and Dennis did 260+ on a tough tough Diamond on just a few days of attempts under a very constrained time frame.

They're just as capable and maybe even more so than JS.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think John has the skills to run as many balls as he wants, until his arm falls off.

The biggest obstacle, besides the usual need for constant focus, will be ducking all
the potential bad luck/bad rolls.

A break shot with only a 3% risk of distaster is still unlikely for just 10 racks...
About 50/50 to happen through the course of 20 racks...
Just about inevitable if he ever hits 40+ racks.

I think he's shown he can hit 400 when focused and with a lot of tries,
but so many things have to go right to hit another 100+ on top of that.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it would take a much bigger prize than 100k for the pros at large to all go after the record like John is. I put the number at 1 million. Otherwise, they will all stay in bed.

Imo:)

All the pros you know personally must live in a different universe than all the pros I know.

All but the VERY ELITE would be all over the 100k. I'm not so sure the cream of the crop would turn their nose up at 100k.

Remember, most of the elite players only get "part" of what they win in action matches.

The 100k scenario would mean they get it all and very few pros haul off that kind of $$$ unless your talking months and months of traveling and grinding.

Sure, there have been occasions where some make bank but it's very rare.

Remember who backs these pros:

Professional gamblers...... lol..... they dont take chances (gamble).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don’t think so. Most will know it’s out of reach for them. They would only do it if already at another tournament as a bonus.

What I mean is they won’t drop everything like Schmidt has and call on help from their family and friends and sponsors like Schmidt has laid out in his podcast for a tiny chance of winning 100k. For 1 million, yes. But not 100k, they will stay in bed.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don’t think so. Most will know it’s out of reach for them. They would only do it if already at another tournament as a bonus.

What I mean is they won’t drop everything like Schmidt has and call on help from their family and friends and sponsors like Schmidt has laid out in his podcast for a tiny chance of winning 100k. For 1 million, yes. But not 100k, they will stay in bed.

If they had any chance of beating the record, they would absolutely do it for 100k

But there's probably less than a handful of people that could beat it. Even for 1 million.

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He may run 800 who knows but its not the same thing as Mosconi's record. Mosconi walked in cold and ran 526 on wool cloth.If Mosconi did what John is doing he probably had run a thousand. Having said that I wish John best of luck and glad he is taking the challenge on!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He may run 800 who knows but its not the same thing as Mosconi's record. Mosconi walked in cold and ran 526 on wool cloth.If Mosconi did what John is doing he probably had run a thousand. Having said that I wish John best of luck and glad he is taking the challenge on!
Well, actually, Mosconi probably had half an hour on the table before he started. I find slow cloth easier to play 14.1 on because I try to play close, short position. And, of course, Mosconi was playing with his own set of shiny, polished balls.

Of course it's not exactly the same thing. John won't be playing with a Rambow, either. Or with clay balls. Or Brunswick chalk. Or on a 4x8, which for someone who plays close, short position is a lot easier than a 4.5x9.

It will, however, qualify as an exhibition high run at pool. That's what Mosconi's record is for.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does it have to be on a 9 foot table? Didn't Mosconi do it on an 8 footer ?
And is it conceivable that running 600 is slightly more difficult on an 8 footer?

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John was less than 100 away until something unintentionally got on the cue ball when it was cleaned which caused an odd scratch.

I'm still wonder what the monetary benefit is. Has someone offered cash for a new record? I'd probably buy a DVD of it but I'm one of a limited audience.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John is a good friend of mine and I'm pulling for him to break the record. Him breaking the record will probably make my poster of Mosconi setting the record worthless. I have number 98 of 526.
John, you will owe me one of your posters when you break the record.

IMG_0913.JPG

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John was less than 100 away until something unintentionally got on the cue ball when it was cleaned which caused an odd scratch.

I'm still wonder what the monetary benefit is. Has someone offered cash for a new record? I'd probably buy a DVD of it but I'm one of a limited audience.

I watched that shot many times over. He may have suffered an unfortunate debris problem, but he hit that shot unbelievably wrong to begin with. That much spin/power, along with losing control of the cueball. It was destined to end that way. Way to much careless breaking of the rack. He almost scratched like 5 other times because he lost control of the cue ball on a break shot. Luck only goes so far.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched that shot many times over. He may have suffered an unfortunate debris problem, but he hit that shot unbelievably wrong to begin with. That much spin/power, along with losing control of the cueball. It was destined to end that way. Way to much careless breaking of the rack. He almost scratched like 5 other times because he lost control of the cue ball on a break shot. Luck only goes so far.
Except he fouled long before that shot. No one seems to want to acknowledge that.