John Schmidt - How high will he go?

How high will he go

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel any record attempt like what JS is doing should be squeaky clean and just like the DCC 14.1 Challenge comply with the all balls foul rule.

If it's good enough for the DCC 14.1 Challenge -- the closest formal competition to what he's doing -- it should be good enough for his attempts. It should also be noted that the DCC 14.1 Challenge is far from a pool event in a bar.

Lou Figueroa
Here is the facts.Check out the shot at 21:28 https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8 . The 7 ball moves when he places his bridge hand down on the table. All straight pool events are all ball fouls and always have been with NO exception so high runs are the same rule. I kind of know this from 30+ years of playing straight pool and playing in the World Championships quite a few times.

So to be clear to everyone John made 434 balls in a row but he DID NOT run 434 balls in a row. His run 100% stopped when he fouled the 7 ball.That's the rule and that's the outcome. His run started again with the next break ball in the next rack. So his run is -122 for a total of 312 for his run NOT 434. If John disputes this or if John claims that his 434 is legitimate than he is clearly cheating. Also to note at 1 point he left the cueball just outside the rack instead of inside the rack and he picked the cue ball up and shot behind the headstring. Another no-no.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the facts.Check out the shot at 21:28 https://youtu.be/lf9hRHdA0A8 . The 7 ball moves when he places his bridge hand down on the table. All straight pool events are all ball fouls and always have been with NO exception so high runs are the same rule. I kind of know this from 30+ years of playing straight pool and playing in the World Championships quite a few times.

So to be clear to everyone John made 434 balls in a row but he DID NOT run 434 balls in a row. His run 100% stopped when he fouled the 7 ball.That's the rule and that's the outcome. His run started again with the next break ball in the next rack. So his run is -122 for a total of 312 for his run NOT 434. If John disputes this or if John claims that his 434 is legitimate than he is clearly cheating. Also to note at 1 point he left the cue just outside the rack instead of inside the rack and he picked the cue ball up and shot behind the headstring. Another no-no.

if john breaks the record and it's squeaky clean, on video, will you acknowledge him as the straight pool high run record holder?

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So to be clear to everyone John made 434 balls in a row but he DID NOT run 434 balls in a row. His run 100% stopped when he fouled the 7 ball.That's the rule and that's the outcome. His run started again with the next break ball in the next rack. So his run is -122 for a total of 312 for his run NOT 434. If John disputes this or if John claims that his 434 is legitimate than he is clearly cheating. Also to note at 1 point he left the cue just outside the rack instead of inside the rack and he picked the cue ball up and shot behind the headstring. Another no-no.
What are you seeing? I looked at it twice and can't see any movement.

jchance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you seeing? I looked at it twice and can't see any movement.

There definitely appears to be a slight wobble of the 7 ball to the left and then back to the right, presumably from the cue very gently touching it. I didn't see it on first viewing either, had to watch a few times.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
John was less than 100 away until something unintentionally
got on the cue ball when it was cleaned which caused an odd scratch.

I'm still wonder what the monetary benefit is. Has someone offered cash for a new record?
I'd probably buy a DVD of it but I'm one of a limited audience.

Jay Helfert did offer 10k, years ago, but with some stipulations.

I don't know if the table John plays on will qualify since he's specifying "moderately tough pockets".
Just one guy's opinion but, he should scrap that requirement.

John tends to play on easy equipment, and honestly the record is still valid on 5 inch pockets.
If Jay is betting dvd/stream sales will top $10,000, I think those sales will be exactly the same
regardless of the pocket cut.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Also to note at 1 point he left the cueball just outside the rack instead of inside the rack and he picked the cue ball up and shot behind the headstring.

Bobby, do you have a timestamp for this one? If it really was outside the rack that would be pretty egregious.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's around 5 hours without a mistake. I am guessing between 450 and 500.

Mosconi said his 526 took 2 hours and 10 minutes. That's an average of 4.0 balls per minute.

Schmidt often plays at about that same pace. His 434 took about 2 hours 5½ minutes, or 3.5 balls per minute. He averaged well over 4 balls/min. for the first 14 racks, then a bit under 3 balls/min. for the last 17 racks.

So even if John runs 600, I don't think it will take anywhere near 5 hours unless he takes an extended break (timeout) somewhere along the way.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Schmidt often plays at about that same pace. His 434 took about 2 hours 5½ minutes, or 3.5 balls per minute. He averaged well over 4 balls/min. for the first 14 racks, then a bit under 3 balls/min. for the last 17 racks. ...
John has said that he just free-wheels through the first couple of hundred (to save energy) and then gets serious. I wish I could free-wheel through a couple of hundred.:frown:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And the speed record (so far as I know) is 150 (and out) by Lou Butera in a tournament match in 21 minutes, which would be an hour and 14 minutes for 527.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you aloud to take a break during this run in straight pool or do you have to steady play.
I think it's entirely reasonable to take a potty break during the run.

In the old days there were some matches in which they would play a single very long game, maybe to 1500. When the session target was reached, say one player got to a total of 300, he would run out the rack to the break shot, the cue ball and the break shot would be marked, and the position would be restored at the start of the next session.

The ball-mark method was used at the Derby City 14.1 when a player was called to some other match during a run.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
And the speed record (so far as I know) is 150 (and out) by Lou Butera in a tournament match in 21 minutes, which would be an hour and 14 minutes for 527.

If Machinegun started quick like Schmitty, he would be even quicker....
...at his House of Champions he was clocked running a 100 in ten minutes...
...racking included.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read about some talking about using the tournament rules for John's attempts. The thing is, Willie didn't do his run at a tournament. He did his run at an exhibition and on a table that would be considered more of a home table and not a tournament table.

So why are we wanting John to adhere to tournament conditions when Willie didn't?

Just my 2 cents.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay Helfert did offer 10k, years ago, but with some stipulations.

I don't know if the table John plays on will qualify since he's specifying "moderately tough pockets".
Just one guy's opinion but, he should scrap that requirement.

John tends to play on easy equipment, and honestly the record is still valid on 5 inch pockets.
If Jay is betting dvd/stream sales will top $10,000, I think those sales will be exactly the same
regardless of the pocket cut.

If it isn't in writing then it's not a real offer. You are correct about one thing - pocket cut won't matter if he gets to 527.

If I hit the lottery I'd put up some big money to have players make a run at it and if enough top players got together with big money at stake the record would eventually fall.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I read about some talking about using the tournament rules for John's attempts. The thing is, Willie didn't do his run at a tournament. He did his run at an exhibition and on a table that would be considered more of a home table and not a tournament table.

So why are we wanting John to adhere to tournament conditions when Willie didn't?

Just my 2 cents.
Here is what makes 100% sense so keep your 2 cents.lol. Willie Mosconi would have broke 800 3-4 times. Mosconi never once had a table set up for weeks just to do high runs like John is doing. Mosconi would go from place to place run 100 or 125 or 150 and quit. If Mosconi continued just 10% of his exhibition runs 800 would have 100% happened especially with Simonis cloth and a table made as easy as the ones John is playing on.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If it isn't in writing then it's not a real offer. You are correct about one thing - pocket cut won't matter if he gets to 527.

If I hit the lottery I'd put up some big money to have players make a run at it and if enough top players got together with big money at stake the record would eventually fall.

The offer is recorded on the WEB...and Jay has an excellent record for honoring his offers.