Which carbon shaft

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a matter of personal preference so I'd recommend either going to a trade show and seeing if some of the vendors there have one's that you can try out or ask around to your friends and or other players you know and try the different styles.

I purchased a Revo, shot with it for a while, tried a Jacoby while I had my Revo and it didn't suit me and then tried a Becue and liked it a great deal.

Ended up selling the Revo and currently use the Becue - but it all comes down to feel and what you like personally.

And my experience was the opposite. I sold my Prime M and kept the Revo

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12.75mm shaft equals .5019 in the imperial measurement system. Im pretty sure their American reading micrometers are capable of making a .502 shaft.

Just like every one elses is. :thumbup:

Seriously, did you ever measure a 12.75mm shaft made by Meucci?

I can tell you 90% of the time they will be under.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And my experience was the opposite. I sold my Prime M and kept the Revo

And I sold a custom cue that Richard Black made for me because I bought a production McDermott that I thought played better for me.

To each, their own.

I bought a Becue off a guy who had a REVO also. I tried them both and I thought the Becue played much better. Maybe it played better because the whole cue is carbon fiber.

Cues "feel" differently to different players. That goes for wood and carbon fiber. To me, the Becue feels and plays more like a wood shaft. I don't really care about which shaft has the least deflection...a little deflection is okay with me. I go by "feel", "hit", and how well the shaft "communicates" with me.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the point of this forum anymore lol! My god

Apparently to ask the same question about what everyone's favorite new carbon fiber shaft is several times a week. Because reading the forum is..... too much like work.

Oh, and since again no one knows the person asking, the answers might change from ask-er to ask-er. :thumbup:

Lets not forget selling gizmos and gadgets that no one actually needs. Theres that too. :duck:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe, although my testing is not complete to give a definte answer, but I believe that all CF shafts will play differently after 1000 hours of play because it's the filing material which will change/breakdown/loosen/alter over time and therefore effect the hit/feel/performance of the shaft.

Now, depending on what brand of CF shaft you are looking at, there are different filling materials being utilized in order to fill the hollow void that is the CF shaft. Only time will tell which filling material will be best for the long term. I have a hunch but I can't say for sure to give a definite answer.

However, players will start to notice a difference in their CF shaft in time....with some filling material it might be as little as 300 hours of use....with others it might go 1,000+....but again, the tech is too new to give defined answers. Shafts go through a lot of abuse. Even wood shafts have a shelf life under heavy play, and so will carbon fiber.

Now, if you were a sponsored pro and you get new shafts at any time...CF will be just fine because you are playing with a fresh cue at request. But if you are investing in a one time shaft, be aware, there will be a change over time and that's where I think the business model will be for CF shaft sales in the future. But will also lead to a lot of false reports and speculation. If a player hits with a year old predator revo that was heavily used, then picks up a fresh Cuetec and hits with it and likes the sound and feel better....it might be because of the filing material breakdown and not the initial construction.

Just my two cents

Im waiting, as i have had the same thoughts since I recieved my revo 12.4 as an anniversary present from my wife on 12/2017.

This has been my experience:

My revo has had VERY, VERY heavy play time under all sorts of conditions. This is a very, very accurate account of what its held up to as I do and have always kept track of my practice, ghost play and most of my matches on video and / or keyed into a VB program I wrote to track progress.

Ive got 3,200 hours of table (drills and ghost play) time with my revo.

955 hours in 10 ball.
260 hours of 9 ball.
140 hours of banks.
1230 hours of 14.1.
615 hours of various drills.

There is more time in matches or just hitting balls at public rooms but, not many because i don't get out much since my wife has been sick.

I would venture to say i have another 50 to 60 hours of table time in public rooms ....mostly private matches but, there was a few tournaments over the last 18 months.

So, adding all that up, it is ~3250 hours of very serious play.

My opponents have ranged from Josh roberts, Danny Smith, Hennessy, Cliff, Warren K., Casper, Alex P., Dennis O.....to amateurs like myself.

Most all of my matches was for cash, not tournament play so, my cue was not babied in the least.

Ive played people that didn't allow jump cues so i had to jump full cue with my revo. Not often, but, enough times for it to prove itself to me...thus far.

Having been through all ^^^^^^ hours of drills, ghost play, cheap action to sometimes, not so cheap action, the revo im using is still performing exactly as it did the day my wife gave it to me.

My luck, after writing this, the damn thing will explode when i hit the next stun shot
..hope not!

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently to ask the same question about what everyone's favorite new carbon fiber shaft is several times a week. Because reading the forum is..... too much like work.

Oh, and since again no one knows the person asking, the answers might change from ask-er to ask-er. :thumbup:

Lets not forget selling gizmos and gadgets that no one actually needs. Theres that too. :duck:

Forum used to be for helping.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played for a few months with a Revo. But I liked my Mezz Ex Pro better. Then I won a cuetec Cynergy shaft. Been playing with it for a few months now. Once I changed the tip. I love it. I would buy another one tomorrow if it messed up or stolen.

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played for a few months with a Revo. But I liked my Mezz Ex Pro better. Then I won a cuetec Cynergy shaft. Been playing with it for a few months now. Once I changed the tip. I love it. I would buy another one tomorrow if it messed up or stolen.

How does the Cynergy compare to the EX-Pro?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im waiting, as i have had the same thoughts since I recieved my revo 12.4 as an anniversary present from my wife on 12/2017.

This has been my experience:

My revo has had VERY, VERY heavy play time under all sorts of conditions. This is a very, very accurate account of what its held up to as I do and have always kept track of my practice, ghost play and most of my matches on video and / or keyed into a VB program I wrote to track progress.

Ive got 3,200 hours of table (drills and ghost play) time with my revo.

955 hours in 10 ball.
260 hours of 9 ball.
140 hours of banks.
1230 hours of 14.1.
615 hours of various drills.

There is more time in matches or just hitting balls at public rooms but, not many because i don't get out much since my wife has been sick.

I would venture to say i have another 50 to 60 hours of table time in public rooms ....mostly private matches but, there was a few tournaments over the last 18 months.

So, adding all that up, it is ~3250 hours of very serious play.

My opponents have ranged from Josh roberts, Danny Smith, Hennessy, Cliff, Warren K., Casper, Alex P., Dennis O.....to amateurs like myself.

Most all of my matches was for cash, not tournament play so, my cue was not babied in the least.

Ive played people that didn't allow jump cues so i had to jump full cue with my revo. Not often, but, enough times for it to prove itself to me...thus far.

Having been through all ^^^^^^ hours of drills, ghost play, cheap action to sometimes, not so cheap action, the revo im using is still performing exactly as it did the day my wife gave it to me.

My luck, after writing this, the damn thing will explode when i hit the next stun shot
..hope not!

Wow, congrats on the massive amount of hours and to keep them logged. Well done. You are in the perfect position to test the theory out. If you ever get a chance to hit with a brand new, out of the box Revo 12.4...with the tip make and model and thickness to where you want it...then let is know your thoughts in comparison. Since you are used to the shaft, you might be able to pick up the difference...does a fresh shaft hit more solid? Sound different?

Let me commend you once again for your epic record keeping. I used to have more time, but the 3rd kid and overtime at work has slowed me down on table time as of late. I plan to get up to speed again soon.

Last edited:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shhhhhhhhhh

Everybody knows the opinion of a bunch of strangers is the absolute best way to choose anything. :thumbup:

It would appear that your knowledge is so vast that you have nothing
more to learn.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, congrats on the massive amount of hours and to keep them logged. Well done. You are in the perfect position to test the theory out. If you ever get a chance to hit with a brand new, out of the box Revo 12.4...with the tip make and model and thickness to where you want it...then let is know your thoughts in comparison. Since you are used to the shaft, you might be able to pick up the difference...does a fresh shaft hit more solid? Sound different?

Let me commend you once again for your epic record keeping. I used to have more time, but the 3rd kid and overtime at work has slowed me down on table time as of late. I plan to get up to speed again soon.

Yeah, I spent most all of my time for 18 solid months doing:

Playing pool
Eating
Sleeping

lol....not always in that order.

Anyways, I'm retired so, all i got is time "normally" but, as of late, with wife having had a few surgeries and another family member having cancer, well, lets just say my "time", not to mention, my "priorities" have changed.

Im hoping at some point, I will get the opportunity to compare a "to my specs" revo to predator's original 12.4 revo.

I will for sure let you know what I find if/when I get one in my hands.

Yep, I'm extremely use to the revo cue I've been using.

To me, it's just like an old maple shaft without deflection.

For several months (several hundred hours), the energy transfer was a huge deal to me but, after mentally and physically adjusting to it, to be honest, I don't feel a difference in energy transfer until I use another cue. At that time, even for just one shot, regardless of type of shot, the energy transfer loss is the first thing I notice and deflection difference would be the second thing.

I have hit with a couple newer 12.4 revos and I've not picked up on a difference other than the tips being a different brand/hardness/age....

The tips did make a slight difference: soft tips took away and hard tips added to the energy but the deflection seemed same to me regardless of tip.

The sound is muted a lot with soft tips but, magnified with harder tips as a person would expect.

Note, Ive not hit with a revo custom with a ferrule yet.

I have however, added a ferrule to mine. It was easier on visuals but, it wasn't worth the tradeoff to me since it added a bit of deflection and after all, I had put a ton of hours into the "no ferrule" version and its no biggie currently.

Free time, yep, I miss it lately.

I remember the days of responsibility to a career family etc...etc.

A good man, heck, even a average man would in no way put pool before his family and his ability to care for them.

Stay the course. Take care of the family because pool will be here when the time comes.

Much respect,

Jeff

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Good grief.
Can we get a sub-forum for carbon shafts like we did for the snake oil aiming systems?
OP, everyone's thoughts on the magic black shafts are EVERYWHERE in the main forum. Did you even try searching/reading the mind- numbing number of posts and threads about them?
Sorry to go on a rant. It just seems like everyone who buys, tries, sees, or thinks about one of these shafts needs to start a thread. I'm just one guy though. Perhaps the other members love talking about these shafts every day ad nauseam.
Rant off. My apologies...

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would appear that your knowledge is so vast that you have nothing
more to learn.

This question is asked several times a week/month.

The answers dont change. But people are apparently too fooking lazy to actually READ the forum.

The best way to know what you like is to try the shafts for yourself, and make an informed decision instead of relying on the opinions of others.

What else ya got? :thumbup:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This question is asked several times a week/month.

The answers dont change. But people are apparently too fooking lazy to actually READ the forum.

The best way to know what you like is to try the shafts for yourself, and make an informed decision instead of relying on the opinions of others.

What else ya got? :thumbup:

Essentially you are correct but it never hurts to hear of the experience of others.
If you read 10 answers, there are probably a couple that just might be able to tell you what to look for. Just my opinion

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Essentially you are correct but it never hurts to hear of the experience of others.
If you read 10 answers, there are probably a couple that just might be able to tell you what to look for. Just my opinion

I have had a revo 12.9 unilock for around 4 months. I have had a meuci carbon fiber for a few weeks. I have shot a few balls with a starky fiber shaft.

The revo has quite a bit of unwanted energy transfer to the cue ball in my opinion. It took quote a bit of getting used too.

The meucci hits a lot softer....more like a wood shaft.

The starky just seemed dead to me. I did not like it at all.

I had the opportunity to try all three before making a decision on what to buy. The first shaft I tried was the starky. I bought the rebo after trying one and before the meucci came out. Once I tried a meucci I decided to buy one of those also.

As others have said...its best to try one before you buy but I understand not every one has that luxury and have to rely on others opinion although what one likes you may hate.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used R12.9 for quite a while.... switched to Cynergy's … less of a pingy hit / noise, seems more solid, like the white ferrule for aiming, like the longer thinner taper, hate the Tiger tips... will switch to Predator Victory soft or mediums soon. JMHO your mileage may vary......

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I have had a Revo for 2 years and personally think the best quality of any carbon fiber shaft is that is don't get dings in the shaft. If you play in bars people will knock your stick over if you lean it against something. I have found the Revo to be really tough.

To be honest though, I play just as good with a 314, z2 or Muecci shaft. I just adapt using my many years experience. There is no shaft going to make you a better player. Period...