Thread: Aiming systems
View Single Post
Old
  (#176)
av84fun
Banned
av84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-03-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJR
I took a look at this late last night. I don't think I'm following you at all. You are talking about cutting into the right corner pocket? The first shot is a normal cut, not a back cut but I figure you are using it as a base. If you are, then moving the object ball two ball widths to the right, that is the opposite direction that it needs to go to become a back cut.

As far as the "Superbowl" shot, well that has always been one of my standard practice shot. I don't miss that one very often. Not really a back cut as I'm referring to them.

What I do see here is that every shot you are talking about part of the cut tip (stick) is pointing at the object ball. If you refer to my problem shot, it specifies that the problem begins when no part of the stick is pointing at the object ball.

JR
Right JR. I wanted to establish a baseline. But maybe we need to define the term "back cut" so we are on the same page.

One pool glossery defines back cut as:
Back cut
A cut shot in which if a line were drawn from the cue ball to the rail behind the targeted object ball, perpendicular to that rail, the object ball would lie beyond the line with respect to the pocket being targeted.[5]

A more visual definition might be a shot where the pocket is not located within the most forward component of your peripheral vision.

In either case, the shot where the CB is moved 3 balls to the right would be a back cut..but yes...in the "spot shot" example, the OB would have to be moved slightly to the LEFT or the CB slightly to the RIGHT to qualify.

But whatever your definition of "back cut" might be is cool with me. If you'd like just give me a shot set up and I'll conform the system to it and we can go from there.

As for Shot #2 as I described it, the OB would be THREE balls to the right i.e. if you place 2 balls next to the original ball and then put the CB next to the 2nd ball then the CB would occupay a space three balls to the right. BUT I WROTE "2" balls which was a typo. But I am not tracking with you when you suggest that moving the OB to the LEFT

Quote:
What I do see here is that every shot you are talking about part of the cut tip (stick) is pointing at the object ball. If you refer to my problem shot, it specifies that the problem begins when no part of the stick is pointing at the object ball.
First, let's abandon the word "stick" and just refer to the tip...and specifically a laser beam as wide as the tip shining on some part of the OB.

With that visual, there is only ONE shot that calls for that beam to not touch some portion of the OB (in TP5, granted only the very edge of the tip touches the very edge of the OB but it is a "touch" in exactly the same sense as frozen balls "touch."

Only the specialty shot, TP6 which is to be used only for the most extreme cuts, is slightly offset from the OB.

Quote:
If you are, then moving the object ball two ball widths to the right, that is the opposite direction that it needs to go to become a back cut.
Right. If you move the CB in either direction, you eventually can get a back cut. BUT, you would have to move the CB WAY to the LEFT to get a back cut by any definition. Moving the CB 3-4 balls LEFT produces a nearly straight in shot. You would have to move it 8-9 balls left to get a back cut...so, I just did that.

I set the CB as the 9th ball to the left of the original CB which would (it seems to me) would be the initial border of a back cut.

Doing so creates a LOC that points between the 1st and diamonds on the rigtht side rail. That would normally call for TP4 (with the laser beam half on and half off the right edge of the OB) but one of the Exceptions points out that because the RIGHT point of the right corner blocks the OB's path to the back center of the pocket, then you have to adjust ONE TP thinner...or TP5 which requires the LEFT edge of the laser beam to "freeze" next to the RIGHT edge of the OB.

I just did that and the shot went every time.

Please let me know if this is starting to make sense. (and please forgive any glitches in my explanations. I am responding to A LOT of similar questions in PMs)

But again, please just give me a set up that conforms to your back cut definition.

THANKS!
Jim