Gotta Love the Philippines

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James Aranas goes home to the Philippines and gets drilled by a kid (Kyle Amoroto) who just turned 17 years old last week in a big money match. Needless to say, the Philippines' roster is deep!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any idea if/when Aranas will be back in the USA? I was surprised he isn't on the player list for the US Open 9-Ball Championship in April.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
They should start a rivalry match like the Mosconi cup. The "Reyes Cup" :thumbup:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any idea if/when Aranas will be back in the USA? I was surprised he isn't on the player list for the US Open 9-Ball Championship in April.

He’ll only be in the Philippines for a month or so. He didn’t sign up for the US Open because he’ll be defending his title at SBE on the same dates.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James Aranas goes home to the Philippines and gets drilled by a kid (Kyle Amoroto) who just turned 17 years old last week in a big money match. Needless to say, the Philippines' roster is deep!

Word on the streets is the kid is playing pretty good d, now that he can reach almost the whole table.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Kyle's home court. Huge advantage.

James is rusty on wet tables right now. :D
Wet table and bodies everywhere breathing on hit.

I expect DD to pick up a lot more local speed then next few weeks.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Here are some Filipino kids playing what they call “Pool”.
A rectangle version being played by kids, some under 10 years old.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8PeWN2iHU
***This is why Filipinos are great players.***

Equator to Equator Shooting.

Last edited:

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Kyle in a recent video interview by his manager; Rolly, that Kyle is supposedly tentative on playing Raga and that he's afraid of Biado...after what I saw, I think he plays both even.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He’ll only be in the Philippines for a month or so. He didn’t sign up for the US Open because he’ll be defending his title at SBE on the same dates.

Strange decision indeed. Hard to believe anyone with any confidence at all would skip the US Open for something as trivial as the SBE event. His confidence must have hit bottom.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Strange decision indeed. Hard to believe anyone with any confidence at all would skip the US Open for something as trivial as the SBE event. His confidence must have hit bottom.

Very smart decision $$$ wise.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Very smart decision $$$ wise.

Not like Aranas is anything close to a lock to win at SBE. He'll surely face a credible field that could include guys like Dechaine, Sossei and other top players from the Northeast.

Second place at SBE pays $5,000. At the US Open, everyone who reaches Stage 2 will cash for at least that amount.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Not like Aranas is anything close to a lock to win at SBE. He'll surely face a credible field that could include guys like Dechaine, Sossei and other top players from the Northeast.

Second place at SBE pays $5,000. At the US Open, everyone who reaches Stage 2 will cash for at least that amount.

Maybe he was given some incentive to skip out on the bigger event to bring some excitement as last years winner? I don’t know if anyone would bother but ?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Maybe he was given some incentive to skip out on the bigger event to bring some excitement as last years winner? I don’t know if anyone would bother but ?

Not likely. I'd hardly call Aranas a drawing card and it's really hard to imagine Allen Hopkins paying an appearance fee to anybody.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It sucks but I think they made the right decision.

The chances of winning the SBE are significantly higher than making it to Stage 2 (final 16) of the US Open.

Lodging in Vegas is significantly higher than lodging in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is a few hour drive from Virginia whereas Vegas requires cross country airfare.

SBE entry fee is $500, US Open entry fee is $1,000.

Then you also have to figure in the travel expenses of his backer Roy.

SBE has a lot of action going on in the back rooms. I'm sure DD wants to get his money back from that Dominican Burrito guy lol. Honestly, I'm not sure how this compares to the US Open action rooms.

Lastly, the US Open is building momentum. Last year the payouts weren't that great but the tournament was very successful. This year it is already sold out. Taking a year off allows the prize money to build up to significant levels and allows DD to mature and come back stronger.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

If you think sossei is a threat, what do you think the field at the US Open is?

SBE is the much better choice, especially when you add in the gambling.