Random Question

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a very poor analogy. Even someone who is not a car person can easily tell the difference between a Nissan and a BMW/Porsche/Mercedes/Bentley/Saleen/etc. with just a short drive. Whereas the difference between a nice $600 production cue and a $3k Tascarella/Southwest/Black Boar/Zamboti may not be as readily apparent even after a month of use, or maybe ever.

Give me 10 of each, pair each with a production cue and I bet I am right more than I'm wrong.

Oem Altima vs. bimmer? I bet I go 10/10.

Not sure whose team I am on.

dickiev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point Alphadog is that I can use a $600 Nova or $1000 Jim Buss and then use a $2500 Southwest and don't see a difference. That's all I was getting at.
Thanks to the majority for their responses

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point Alphadog is that I can use a $600 Nova or $1000 Jim Buss and then use a $2500 Southwest and don't see a difference. That's all I was getting at.

I get what you are saying.

I also understand what the Alphadog is saying.

Here might be another way of looking at what you are asking:

Why is a NASCAR race car so expensive compared to other cars?

I can drive a Ford mustang around the track at Daytona the same (safe) speed as a NASCAR race car, and I can't tell the difference between the 2. (meaning I can't possibly drive the race car very much faster safely)

Dale Jr. on the other hand can tell the difference.

Does that help?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Value is subjective. That's an important point.

... Subjective value can be a tough idea for some people to grasp. It can be even harder for people to accept. But here’s the hard truth: Value does not inhere in things. Sunsets are not inherently beautiful. Vanilla ice cream is not inherently tasty. Jazz is not universally loved. Prices are objective—that is, publicly observable. We can each walk into a store and see that the avocado is $1.50. But our inner states will determine whether the fatty fruit winds up in any of our baskets.

The implications of this idea are profound. All economics begins and ends with something rather illusive: the private states of people’s minds....

Same with a cue.

Jeff Livingston

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey you even answered your own question?

You can buy a Nova for 600,and then play with it.

You cant buy the others for 600. If you have 2500 you can buy any of the cues or even 2 of the cues.

Now if you cant tell any differance buy the Southwest and sell it for 1000. Buy the Buss try it ,if you dont like it,sell it for 600 and buy the Nova.:wink:

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to settle this i will drive your altima 6 months then your BMW 6 months .Then ill play with your nova 6 months then your SW. I will then give my opinion drive my Fiero(v-8) to play with my R-2 schon.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to settle this i will drive your altima 6 months then your BMW 6 months .Then ill play with your nova 6 months then your SW. I will then give my opinion drive my Fiero(v-8) to play with my R-2 schon.

Mr. Suave where do I sign up for this once in a lifetime oppurtunity?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey you even answered your own question?

You can buy a Nova for 600,and then play with it.

You cant buy the others for 600. If you have 2500 you can buy any of the cues or even 2 of the cues.

Now if you cant tell any differance buy the Southwest and sell it for 1000. Buy the Buss try it ,if you dont like it,sell it for 600 and buy the Nova.:wink:

I'd actually take the buss, of those 3...money be damned!

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Rarity, seasoned wood, quality control, taper, A&B
joint construction as well as overall construction methonds, fit & finish, engineering methods,
application of the negative space ratio, resale value, and collectibility.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
In some cases,,,, not very long.

your focusing like many only on actual "cut/shaping time" forgetting about storage, curing of wood, EQUIPMENT SET UP, sharpening of tools, wait time b/t passes etc.

setting the equipment just to begin wether i'm on a lathe, or even on my chainsaw mill takes much longer than the actual cutting and shaping does....

lets not forget about the time it takes to perform safety checks from time to time during said work.

unless your using lots of precious metals/gemstones and ivory.....the material is the cheapest least costly if you ask me......well unless if your buying everything premade and assembling then sure thats pricey off the get go.

rregardless of how you recieve materials as a maker (premade or just plain lumber) making a quality cue takes a very long time all work start to finish.

Storing of the wood is actually probably the most costly, it takes up alot of space.....and of course you cant just keep the stuff outside generally speaking.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The value of things can be determined in a very subjective manner......for instance...
-----------------------------------------------------
The current monetary worth placed of the basic “elements” in an individual human body is $4.50: $3.50 for the skin and the remainder of the worth assigned in the aggregate to the major elements — $1.00. Almost 100 years have passed and the difference is only 16 cents from Dr. Charlie's long ago calculation!Jan 14, 2010
-----------------------------------------------------------
The cost of the materials in the Mona Lisa would be very low....
...so those who look at things like that....play outta the rack...
...and leave the Szambotis for me

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
the short answer is supply and demand.

the longer answer would go into the reasons that explain supply and demand for certain cues such as quality, craftsmanship, materials, playability, availability, rarity, reputation, etc.

best,
brian kc