The History of Cue Cases?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has really been a fun read+

My cases started with Brunswick( mainly the cardboard box but also the Hustler style ) ,Palmer,Fellini,Ann Gore, Kelli,,Mc Dermott,Centennial,Its George,Del Webb,Oneal
Thomas,Greg Price,Rusty Thomas,King,JB(allsorts)

Of the Brunswick ,or gunsmith Hustler cases which have the most romance,I have to give credit to
JB for my favorite,Rusty Melton gets the nod for the tooling cases,and Oneal for the suitcase style

All of these cases for me personally convicts me of a misspent youth

Of all the cases i had,i never had a Justise or Flowers,no reflection on these guys
If there were a hall of fame case maker,both of these guys would be there

Thanks for the thread
Dean

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member

My cases started with Brunswick( mainly the cardboard box but also the Hustler style ) ,Palmer,Fellini,Ann Gore, Kelli,,Mc Dermott,Centennial,Its George,Del Webb,Oneal

Of the Brunswick ,or gunsmith Hustler cases which have the most romance,I have to give credit to
JB for my favorite,Rusty Melton gets the nod for the tooling cases,and Oneal for the suitcase style

Of all the cases i had,i never had a Justise or Flowers,no reflection on these guys

Thanks for the thread
Dean

Nice post!
Will Prout

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Chopdoc,
I have a case with the identical round push-in latch.
I've owned for 25+ years.
Smooth black, in unused like new condition.
I picked it up along the way because of the latch.
I have no answer as to the maker, but can attest now that
there are at least two of them! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will Prout

I have pictures of a smooth black one in my files.

I have seen these before and thought I knew what they were but just can't think of what they were and I have no notes on them, just pictures.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early Schon my guess.

Looks to be the same size as a Schon and many case makers used different latches at some point.

Indeed latches have varied on some maker's cases. But this one is unusual and I have seen only three or four.

And some makers never varied latches AFAIK. Such as Fellini...I never saw any of them that used a latch other than the traditional diary lock.

Schon? Maybe...I still don't know...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the thread
Dean

I dig this thread, and your contributions here are excellent. I respect your opinions and experiences. And when you put things in terms of "romance" I can't help but think we share an appreciation of such things that transcends technical matters.

I love the history, the "romance", the nostalgia.

A cue or case need not be famous or fancy to capture such qualities.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well guys, I have the case in hand.

It is a treasure.

It needs a little cleaning but will be looking very nice soon. Aside from needeing cleaned, the condition is excellent.

The leather seams are flawless and in general the case is of excellent quality in both materials and construction.

The latch mechanism is wonderful. Inside the lid where the pin engages there is even a little grommet to prevent wearing the plastic.

The lining is in excellent condition, but loose and needs re-glued, only a tiny bit of glue remains holding it. This actually makes me happy as I will get a look inside at the latch mechanism.

I have only seen a couple of these, I am still hoping to ID it. The dimensions of the tubes don't match anything I have.

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is a treasure.

It needs a little cleaning but will be looking very nice soon. Aside from needeing cleaned, the condition is excellent.

The leather seams are flawless and in general the case is of excellent quality in both materials and construction.

The latch mechanism is wonderful. Inside the lit where the pin engages there is even a little grommet to prevent wearing the plastic.

The lining is in excellent condition, but loose and needs re-glued, only a tiny bit of glue remains holding it. This actually makes me happy as I will get a look inside at the latch mechanism.

I have only seen a couple of these, I am still hoping to ID it. The dimensions of the tubes don't match anything I have.

What is the OD? Do you have a Schon to compare?

Measure it for your answer. IBUYCUES dated it to the early days of tube style slip joint cases and the other characteristics says it's an early Schon before the diary lock. Consider the quality and execution and it all adds up. The last piece of this puzzle are the dimensions. IBUYCUES can confirm if you both have the same size case.

Post some pics of the lock mechanism and the slip joint, the ends too.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the OD? Do you have a Schon to compare?

Measure it for your answer. IBUYCUES dated it to the early days of tube style slip joint cases and the other characteristics says it's an early Schon before the diary lock. Consider the quality and execution and it all adds up. The last piece of this puzzle are the dimensions. IBUYCUES can confirm if you both have the same size case.

Post some pics of the lock mechanism and the slip joint, the ends too.

I'll try to get all that tomorrow.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

It is a treasure.

The latch mechanism is wonderful. Inside the lid where the pin engages there is even a little grommet to prevent wearing the plastic.

I love these kind of cases. It would be nice to see it after you've cleaned it up. Don't know about you, but I like a regimen of possibly Neatsfoot oil, then Lexol, then some Kiwi polish to really make it shine. This one really does look nice.

All the best,
WW

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love these kind of cases. It would be nice to see it after you've cleaned it up. Don't know about you, but I like a regimen of possibly Neatsfoot oil, then Lexol, then some Kiwi polish to really make it shine. This one really does look nice.

All the best,
WW

Looks like it is covered with suede.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

I'm curious if anyone else uses shoe polish on their cases. The only situation I could see doing that would be a shiny smooth hard leather case. Kiwi black shoe polish has ruined many a Hoppe Pro black leather wrap.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'm curious if anyone else uses shoe polish on their cases. The only situation I could see doing that would be a shiny smooth hard leather case. Kiwi black shoe polish has ruined many a Hoppe Pro black leather wrap.

For smooth veg-tanned leather, I recommend it. So does Jack Justis.

All the best,
WW

Rusty Melton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kiwi is great on veg-tan leather. The case you have that I made, I would recommend Kiwi Cordovan or Kiwi Neutral for it. But on black veg-tan I have had terrible luck with Kiwi, it seems to pull the black color out of the leather every time I have used it.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kiwi is great on veg-tan leather. The case you have that I made, I would recommend Kiwi Cordovan or Kiwi Neutral for it. But on black veg-tan I have had terrible luck with Kiwi, it seems to pull the black color out of the leather every time I have used it.

I use Saphir neutral

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I have pictures of a smooth black one in my files.

I have seen these before and thought I knew what they were but just can't think of what they were and I have no notes on them, just pictures.

Hi Chopdoc,

I dug out my case with the round latch.
I've owned the case for 25+ years, and can attest to the rarity.
I just wanted to add some pictures to the thread.
The button latch is straightforward; when pushed in, you can see
the metal "dot" that depresses and releases the lid. :thumbup:

Will Prout

Attachments

• 20180120_210130_resized_1.jpg
    20180120_210130_resized_1.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 20180120_210159_resized_1.jpg
    20180120_210159_resized_1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 20180120_210239_resized_1.jpg
    20180120_210239_resized_1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 20180120_210218_resized_1.jpg
    20180120_210218_resized_1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20180120_210305_resized_1.jpg
    20180120_210305_resized_1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use Kiwi shoe polish on my brown Fellini case.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks (WW also) - I am sort of surprised you recommend Kiwi but glad to learn something new. I haven't touched yours yet, as it arrived in great condition. I have been using Mother's on cases and wraps. I have good methods for refurbishing cases, but not for new scuffs and cuts that expose raw leather. I have been ignoring them but recently roughed up a smooth mottled brown case. I had planned to use a little dye, sheen and Mother's, but now might try Kiwi.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Chopdoc,

I dug out my case with the round latch.
I've owned the case for 25+ years, and can attest to the rarity.
I just wanted to add some pictures to the thread.
The button latch is straightforward; when pushed in, you can see
the metal "dot" that depresses and releases the lid. :thumbup:

Will Prout

Really nice example. Thank you for posting it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure doesn't look like suede to me. To shiny. But only Doc knows for sure.

All the best,
WW

It is suede.

The top of the case is just worn shiny as sued gets sometimes.

It can be cleaned/restored.

You can actually finish/polish sued, which is controversial, some say you cant...but you can.

If for some reason this case could not be cleaned up I would finish it in a polished smooth black.