Redesigning the 15 billiard balls

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the exception of 8 ball, all other popular pocket billiard games do not require having solids and stripes.

Non-8ball tournaments have outgrown the use for solids and stripes.

Should there be a re-consideration for how to design the balls?

Would just numbering them be adequate, or should there be multiple versions of the 15 ball set?

Would including more than 15 balls be something to help develop new games?

Would billiard companies consider selling just a 9ball or 10 ball set?

If only someone would come up with a new game and a new set of balls I bet it would really take off.
http://wpbltv.com/

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are already numerous games that are never played, so why would we need another one? No one plays the greatest game of all anymore straight pool

I guess we don't. My vote for greatest game is 61 full rotation, I don't want to watch players feather a rack over and over and over in a 30 minute safety battle.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the exception of 8 ball, all other popular pocket billiard games do not require having solids and stripes.

Non-8ball tournaments have outgrown the use for solids and stripes.

Should there be a re-consideration for how to design the balls?

Would just numbering them be adequate, or should there be multiple versions of the 15 ball set?

Would including more than 15 balls be something to help develop new games?

Would billiard companies consider selling just a 9ball or 10 ball set?

What about 3 ball and 7 ball?

They can make a lot of money by selling the same guy 5 different balls sets instead of 1.

Now more than 15 balls may be interesting, but that can be done by just buying two sets.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Having a training set with different weights.

A lighter weight set for practicing feather and soft touches with the cue.

And a heavier weight set for practicing power and accuracy.

Having different weights to the ball would be a great training aid and help the industry sell new products.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always wanted an option to close the pocket. But pocket blockers are not sold.
Mainly to make a pool table a carom table.

As for creating new billiard games based on a new billiard set design, bonus ball did that.

II have been interested in a set that are silent. No collision noise billiard balls, mostly because it can be an annoying noise for non pool players.

Look on youtube for dan Benicas.... his insert/ blockers work very well.
Not like a true billiard table, but as well as it can work on a pool-table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I wouldn’t want all the balls to change now but I’d like to have my own set of all solid colored balls. Most likely red like snooker. It looks so beautiful with a solid ball, no numbers and nothing breaking up the color to even give the indication that it’s rolling.

For 8 ball I like the reds and yellows, but the set that aramith makes has an 8 on the black. Totally ruins it for me.

But like for 1 pocket or straight pool there is no reason for any color or numbers and personally I could do with a 9-10 ball set for rotation where you just remember what the colors mean. No markings at all. Just need to find 2 cool colors to add to the list.

I think a decent amount of snookers “viewer success” is because the balls are all solid colors and they just look so damn sexy against that green.

Straight pool and banks...I wanna see the video where a shot is called....
...”That ball in the corner.”
:eek:.....and then the fight starts

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the look of centennials... a new “richer” colored version of the same standards would be awesome!
Deeper colors, and unblemishable surface...( hey, if we are dreaming here...)
And add a very thin stripe of black around the edges of the color stripe, that would look awesome

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Straight pool and banks...I wanna see the video where a shot is called....
...”That ball in the corner.”
:eek:.....and then the fight starts

Banks would be easy enough I suppose since one called ball went clean or not. But a dead ball in straight pool I can see some issues arising lol. Still I think overall the beauty of a solid color wins out. I’m a sucker for visuals.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What i always found funny about the so-called tv colors is that i couldn't see them any better than standard colors. I grew up with Centennials and can't stand those pastel balls.

Agreed, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who can identify which
ball I'm looking at by the color alone.. what's a blue stripe, quick?:thumbup:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Redesigning the table? Interesting idea.

I've often thought having a pool table in an arcade setting with pinball style flippers in front of the pockets would be fun. One player shoots while the other controls the flippers. You would want the tips of the flippers when extended to allow a ball to go thru if hit "pretty good". Play would probably get pretty rowdy like air hockey:grin:

Last edited:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At my age and with my existing eye sight I wouldn't mind having the normally dark balls a lighter shade. Might also be due to the lighting in our room, but edges of dark balls at a distance are tough to see. My game is one pocket.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
If were talking about the table:

1) digital display showing entry speed of ball being pocketed

2) digital display showing clearance on each side of the ball being pocketed

Having the above two values, billiard archery could be created.

3) digital scoring for all types of billiards games, with bluetooth connection

4) adjustable pockets

Last edited:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, a 10 Ball Set would lower the price of a high quality set, and readily accommodate 6, 7, 9, & 10 Ball games; which are very fun, legit pool games.

10 Balls of true pro tournament quality, for less money.

Or it could come with 6 Cue Balls (as they wear the most) or 4 Cue Balls, 2 !0 Balls and 3 1 Balls...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, a 10 Ball Set would lower the price of a high quality set, and readily accommodate 6, 7, 9, & 10 Ball games; which are very fun, legit pool games.

10 Balls of true pro tournament quality, for less money.

But who would buy a set of balls that you can't play 8 ball, one pocket, straight pool, rotation, and other games with? 15 balls, you can play it all, 10, nope. Even if the price was exactly 2/3rd of the full set, I don't think people would choose it, or if they did they would soon regret it.