View Single Post
Old
  (#6)
SloMoHolic
When will then be now?
SloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond reputeSloMoHolic has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
I really like the idea of pool on FX or Spike. AND there are chess clubs in high schools and middle schools. They say it helps kids think. I say put a kid on a pool table and teach him Geometry and physics. Most geometry teachers now are football or basketball coaches that let you slide by on grades anyway. Throw 8 pool tables in a room and let class begin. Hands on learning.
Hi Allen,

If I may, I'd like to cross-post a comment I made earlier today, in another thread, only because I think it is pertinent to your comment. Here's the other thread:

Is the "hustler" image good or bad for the game?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=321888

I agree with you 100%. My (now ex-) wife was a high school physics teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMoHolic View Post
A few years ago, my wife and I tried to start a Billiards Club at the high school where she was a science teacher. We had several hundred students sign the petition, we had an arrangement all set up with a local "family" pool hall, and we had administrative (ie by-laws), instructional, and league support from the BEF.

But we ran into two major roadblocks that kept the Club from ever forming.

1. Many of the parents would not allow their children in a pool hall because of the seedy image of pool.

2. Most of the administrators at the high school (and the district head office) would not endorse the Club because of the seedy image of pool.

It was heartbreaking because we had put so much work into it, and because so many kids were excited about learning to play pool. I'm sure some of them will eventually learn to play, but many will not.

Incidentally, two years after our failed attempt, the pool hall that had been so generous to the effort suddenly closed their doors. The building is now used as a small shopping center.

I can see how the "seedy" reputation of pool attracts some folks to the game, but from our perspective, it sure kept a lot of folks away from the game.

-Blake