View Single Post
Old
  (#74)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

06-28-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Tucker View Post
Many moons ago when I was first starting a well meaning cue maker gave me some advice and told me it would make sealing the cue quick and easy. Since he had been around a while and I was new I just took it for face value and tried it. Sure enough I had the cue sealed and perfectly flat in a matter of minutes. Shot the clear coat, buffed it and sent the cue on it's way. Got a call a few days later that there was a problem with the finish lifting. Got the cue back and sure enough I could peal all the clear coat off with no effort. It had absolutely no adhesion whatsoever.

My first though is that I was duped but after a few questions I found out he was shooting lacquer and I was shooting urethane.

After that I learned to thoroughly test any new technique or product before incorporating/using in my cues.
You learned well Padawan. The sneaky you made a couple years back has one of the best finishes of all the cues I own, and it has nicely survived the transition from hot muggy Florida to dry cold Saskatchewan. People comment on the finish. The only one that might be better is the Blackcreek (thanks Travis). Others are nice but do not compare (I have only a small sample of cuemakers in my sneaky collection, certainly there are many others who have top notch finishes).

I guess my real point is that a cues finish is one of the most noticeable attributes, be it good or bad (I have both and wish my desire for a cuemakers work was not stronger than my desire to have several cues re-finished ). It is a skill / technique worth the time and effort to get right in my opinion as a customer.

Another good thread, thanks to all who have participated.

Dave

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Last edited by DaveK; 06-28-2018 at 11:45 AM.