10 foot Diamond with 4-1/8" corner pockets

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I never liked tables that were too tight...........Until I found this table in Sun City West.
What a practice table. I learn more from my misses, so I should be learning a lot. I am up to a run of 5 in 9 ball now........Balls that is.

I went to the Ice House in Tempe a couple of weeks ago and checked out the 10 foot Diamond there. The corners are 4-1/4". I told the guy shooting on it that it was a nice table but a little loose.;):eek:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never liked tables that were too tight...........Until I found this table in Sun City West.
What a practice table. I learn more from my misses, so I should be learning a lot. I am up to a run of 5 in 9 ball now........Balls that is.

I went to the Ice House in Tempe a couple of weeks ago and checked out the 10 foot Diamond there. The corners are 4-1/4". I told the guy shooting on it that it was a nice table but a little loose.;):eek:
If you can learn to play runout pool on that table, you can surely play on anything - Good Luck! I have a 10-foot table that had 4-1/4" corners that we recently changed to 4-1/2" corners. Still plays very tough, but much fairer and is more enjoyable to play on.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
If you can learn to play runout pool on that table, you can surely play on anything - Good Luck! I have a 10-foot table that had 4-1/4" corners that we recently changed to 4-1/2" corners. Still plays very tough, but much fairer and is more enjoyable to play on.

I have been using it for shot making practice, using my own variation of Colin's potting drill.
Colin_drill.JPG

I start with shot number 2 since 1 is too tough to start with. I play the left hand against the right and just try to make each shot one time. A successful shot moves that hand to the next shot. Make and keep shooting. Starting out I could not even complete all 16 shots with either hand in an hour and a half(when I would start to lose focus). Now (4 weeks later) I am at just around an hour to complete all 16(with 4 in a row being my high run) and usually it is a dead heat between right and left at the end. A good practice session.

This table is tough but fair.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Check out Dave's table difficulty factor thread - the 5th thread down from the top under the main forum page. Once you plug in your table's corner pocket specs, sounds like your table could possibly crack the top 5 toughest tables!

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough...

That table looks so tough I would have trouble shooting the cue ball in a pocket!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Check out Dave's table difficulty factor thread - the 5th thread down from the top under the main forum page. Once you plug in your table's corner pocket specs, sounds like your table could possibly crack the top 5 toughest tables!
I took a ruler with me this morning and I was wrong about the 4 1/8" It is actually 4".

Table Difficulty Factor

Pocket mouth size
Pocket throat size
3 3/8
Shelf depth
1 1/2
Calculate
Table Size Factor: 1.10
Pocket Size Factor: 1.20
Pocket Angle Factor: 1.00
Pocket Shelf Factor: 0.99
Table Difficulty Factor: 1.31
This table is too tough

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a ruler with me this morning and I was wrong about the 4 1/8" It is actually 4".

Table Difficulty Factor

Pocket mouth size
Pocket throat size
3 3/8
Shelf depth
1 1/2
Calculate
This table is too tough

It would be a "fun" table for sure, but I would never ever, ever, want to play a real match on that thing, or even enjoy watching a real match on it. My thing with tight tables past about 4.5 inches is that for most players that are not Jayson Shaw or Appleton, it takes out the nice stroke shots or pocket cheating for shape you can do in pool games. My home table is something like 4.3 inches and that is just enough where you have to aim but is enough that you can also have a bit of room to shoot a mm off at times.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
It would be a "fun" table for sure, but I would never ever, ever, want to play a real match on that thing, or even enjoy watching a real match on it. My thing with tight tables past about 4.5 inches is that for most players that are not Jayson Shaw or Appleton, it takes out the nice stroke shots or pocket cheating for shape you can do in pool games. My home table is something like 4.3 inches and that is just enough where you have to aim but is enough that you can also have a bit of room to shoot a mm off at times.
It is fun to practice the FUN da MENTALs on this table.(now I real eyes what I learned from CJ;))
Every miss I analyze and try to determine if it was an aiming error or execution error.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Table Difficulty Factor

Pocket mouth size
Pocket throat size
3 3/8
Shelf depth
1 1/2
Calculate
This table is too tough
That would put your table as the 4th toughest table in the list, just ahead of the money table at Hard Times! I agree with another poster, that particularly considering this is a 10' table with these pockets will entirely change the way you play the game and would not be recommended if it is the only table you practice on. You will lose all your confidence in your ability to run balls!

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I used to own a GC2 with 3 15/16" pockets.
I was never able to beat the 9 ball ghost on that table. No rifling balls unless they're dead center, no cheating for position, etc. It makes it a bit less fun.
Good on you for keeping at it. My old instructor told me that success makes one want to practice. Smaller pockets = more misses, less success. That can kill what motivates a player to practice.
Personally, I prefer to practice on the closest thing I can get to what I will be gambling on at the hall.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
That would put your table as the 4th toughest table in the list, just ahead of the money table at Hard Times! I agree with another poster, that particularly considering this is a 10' table with these pockets will entirely change the way you play the game and would not be recommended if it is the only table you practice on. You will lose all your confidence in your ability to run balls!

I disagree, can't remember the word for making it a polite disagreement.;)
I have started playing 9 ball on it after a month of practice with only 2 balls.
Every shot is available on this table. I just had a very enjoyable evening playing 9 ball with the old ring game rules. All the shots are there. A ring game would be a gas on this table.....and it would be hard to loose much money.

The shelf got the lowest rating and it is possible to hit a loose shot and have it go back and forth 3 times and still drop(at the right speed).

When I took lessons in the '80s from a road player, one thing he stressed was "first of all be a shot maker."

Once you have the foundation built by practicing the fun da mentals. It is possible to do some amazing fancy work with the cue ball. It is sooooo rewarding to pull those shots off. By practicing in these most severe conditions I condition my mind to accept the most extreme challenges. Not to.............. welllllll ok to brag. I have finished some hill hill matches with extreme winning shots. That is the super bowl moment and feels so good.

I try not to limit myself as to what I could be capable of. Still on a high run of 5 balls. But I could pop 6 or 7 real soon.;)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Sad day

I was the only person that enjoyed playing on Bigfoot. It was too tight for the others so when asked for 4 1/2” pockets Diamond replaced it with a 9 foot table.:shrug: Be careful what you ask for.:eek:

I was told by the mechanic that it was going to Vegas then Derby City. I would love to see professionals playing on it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually since this previous post I made, we changed our 10-foot Gabriel’s pool table back to 4 1/4 inch corners. Don’t ask me why! I still love practicing on it, but it is very humbling!

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These super tight tables will eventually hurt your game. You start
'chinching' balls and not moving whitey . If you can't cut a ball down the rail
and move whitey 2-3 rails, that table will hurt your game.I've seen it
over and over since the 60'. A very good player told me: 'practice on what you
play on' .
Good luck

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
These super tight tables will eventually hurt your game. You start
'chinching' balls and not moving whitey . If you can't cut a ball down the rail
and move whitey 2-3 rails, that table will hurt your game.I've seen it
over and over since the 60'. A very good player told me: 'practice on what you
play on' .
Good luck

I agree....players that learned on normal pockets will have more experience in run-out patterns.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I visited a friend who has one too. I almost made a ball...3 times.

And none of those 3 was the cue ball!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191116-095131.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116-095131.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
I'd love to have a 10' Diamond in my house once it is finished being built, but I'm not a fan of drop pockets on practice tables, so I'm going with a 9' pro-am instead. I'm still envious though. Enjoy your time on the table. Hope I get to shoot on one someday too.