14.1 high runs... be honest

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm asking because of the "EXPERTS" that keep taking shots at the 14.1 event. ME: 37 balls. I'm FAR from a player at 14.1 but i like it and appreciate the skill needed.
Currently at 62 years old, I had a 14.1 high run of 98 nearly 20 years ago, a run of around 84 5-6 years ago and a run of 56 a couple years ago. I ran 42 at the beginning of this year, but can't remember running much more than 28 since then, even though I practice nothing but 14.1 when practicing by myself at night, roughly 3 times a week, 2-3 hours each session. Very frustrating to deal with accepting the reality of gradually losing my pool game as I age! After reading the threads here, my new goal is to try to run my age!

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play a lot of pool and really worked on my game. I have a Brunswick Anniversary with 4.5 inch pockets and Black Diamond rails. 4 summers back I only played straight pool at home. I watched some videos and matches.

I ran 168 and over 100 four other times.

Knowing the table speed well helped.
Playing the racks by the book and the best break shots is the key.

I've ran 12 racks of 8 ball on a barbox and 7 racks of 9 ball on a Gold Crown with about 4.75 inch corners.

I don't play that much so I don't expect I'd break these personal bests. Last week I did run 4 racks of 9 ball on a Diamond Pro Am with. 4.5 inch corners.

Dave Matlock posts here? Cool!

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Howdy Bill

While talkin' tooooooooooo a bunch of pool players, one says, ''be honest''. That's like saying ''I got a sure bet'' on a gamble :). :thumbup:

easy there Bigfoot - not all pool/billiard players are dishonest - 351 (under two hrs). But hey a yard stick for lunatics is one point of view. :) oh and video proof IS available to "the people" - i.e. open public.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play 14.1 regularly; maybe a few times a year. My high run is 23 on 4" pockets.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats world class shooting.
Who are you?

Very much so. I would like to know as well. wow. Most of us that have either broke 100 or so have only done it once with a few 40's to 60's here and there. But, to break big numbers multiple times is at the very least pro level.

Also, the 12 BnR's of bar box 8 ball is without a doubt top tier status.

:eek::bow-down:

Jeff

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of honest answers here. Not so many have run over 100 balls, including me. When I played (and gambled) a lot at pool in my 20's and 30's, Straight Pool was just not an action game. Still I liked to practice 14.1 to work on my cue ball. I could regularly make runs in the 40's and occasionally 50's with a high run of 63. I did have one run of 72 in a money game for $50 with the college champion from U. of Florida when I was in my 20's. In the terminology of the day I was a 40 or 50 ball runner. A shortstop in other words.

The last time I tried to practice Straights, maybe five years ago, I couldn't get to 30 balls.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very much so. I would like to know as well. wow. Most of us that have either broke 100 or so have only done it once with a few 40's to 60's here and there. But, to break big numbers multiple times is at the very least pro level.

Also, the 12 BnR's of bar box 8 ball is without a doubt top tier status.

:eek::bow-down:

Jeff

Something about the way he stated it, I think we are missing information of a "spin" nature. Ive driven a golf ball over a 1,000 yards.

Down the Freeway.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I ran a 98 in April. I was glad to see that I could still run my age, even if only barely.:wink:

I’ve had a few 98s....always too straight on the break ball...
...missed them trying to fabricate an angle.
But two of them were for the dough...called safe and drew to the end rail...
...once the guy complained...called me a grinder for not going for the hundred...
...told him “I’m going for the 100s at all times...the ones in your pocket.”

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
My best was 30 balls on the nose on a 9ft Brunswick. Ran lots of 20's, play safe, another 20 but I have never been able to string together a big run. The game is so hard to play well.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a small community. For most of us, our live pool buddies would never let us live it down if we were telling tales here.

Very much so, pool is an extremely small community.

As for people we know being hard on us if we was dishonest or should I say (most people) miss remember.... lol......heck, I by accident typed 165 as my lifetime high run a while back and within an hour I was called by a friend on here and he asked if I knew I had typed 165 instead of 156 because he knows what my numbers are.

To serious 14.1 players, it is obvious that something "may" be amiss when another "serious" 14.1 player says he/she cant remember their high run. Sure, there are some that have played so much for so many years they may be a tad off but "most" serious 14.1 players will never forget the number, the table, what cue they used, the room, if there was a bet and even who watched (in general).

Some things just stay with you and most serious 14.1 players respect the game and other straight players to much to be dishonest about something that "seems" so trivial but, in reality is very important if you are indeed a serious 14.1 player.

Like most, I try to the best of my knowledge to always tell the truth even if it is not in my favor to do so.

I'm sure most, if not all are the same way.

Jeff

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
27 is my high run and admittedly I need to learn more about the game. I did play in a straight pool league for a year a couple years ago and had never played the game before. I haven’t played since either although I had come to the conclusion that there is no better game. It’s hard to beat the feeling of leaving a successful break ball, pocketing it, having the cue ball smash into the rack and continuing your run.
Watching bits and pieces of the Tournament has renewed my interest and I’m going to start practicing and learning the game immediately. I’ve set a goal of a 50 ball run by January 1, 2020 on my GC with 4.5” pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Hell yeah Blues. I wish you no bad rolls. I’ve got the 50 goal as well

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I ever practiced 14.1 about 7 years ago I ran a 52. I have played it probably 30 time since then and haven’t topped 30.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats world class shooting.
Who are you?

World class if I could do it all the time.

Of the 3 i think the straight pool run was the best. It took a lot of focus and execution.

The 9 ball run, I was playing that game constantly. I'd run 4 and then I ran 5. When I ran 7 I was shooting the best I had in my life and was practicing the break. If you can intentionally make a ball and get on the 1, the odds of running out go up exponentially. Some layouts are supposed to be run-out. I wish I had that run taped or even remember much of it. I just don't remember much when I play. I do know it was for $10 abd I was spotting the 7 out!

The 8 ball run of 12 on s barbox is just one of those things. It's an easy Gabe and table. If you watch pros on barboxes they run-out like 80 percent on an open table.

I own a pool hall in Syracuse and that has dropped my game significantly. I still play real good and love the game.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To serious 14.1 players, it is obvious that something "may" be amiss when another "serious" 14.1 player says he/she cant remember their high run.

This is funny. I claimed my high run as "Mid fifties" precisely because I have no idea what it was. Happened when I was first getting into straight pool, and I had just assumed I'd be running 50+ every couple of sessions. Didn't seem noteworthy at the time.

I was wrong.