2018 WPA World 9 Ball

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starts tomorrow.

What's the format this year? Are they still doing the qualifying rounds and having the "actual" tournament start a little later in the week when they get down to 64 players?

Any official stream?

I really hope that MR's US Open next April is successful, because that could possibly lead to them getting the rights to the World Championship. Just speculation on my part.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starts tomorrow.

What's the format this year? Are they still doing the qualifying rounds and having the "actual" tournament start a little later in the week when they get down to 64 players?

Any official stream?

I really hope that MR's US Open next April is successful, because that could possibly lead to them getting the rights to the World Championship. Just speculation on my part.
WPA is CLUELESS. This has to be the worst promoted event on the planet. I msg'd them on FB about streaming and all i got was some smart-ass reply from some moron Brit. Someone streamed it last year but it was some independent dude not the WPA. For a "World Championship" this whole deal comes across as decidedly low-rent.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPA is CLUELESS. This has to be the worst promoted event on the planet. I msg'd them on FB about streaming and all i got was some smart-ass reply from some moron Brit. Someone streamed it last year but it was some independent dude not the WPA. For a "World Championship" this whole deal comes across as decidedly low-rent.

Agree!

That's why I'm hoping MR gets involved next year. But I honestly don't know if WPA has some sort of hold on the World Championship.

What I do know is that MR won't get involved if they don't think it will be successful. I think that's why the US Open in April is so important.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree!

That's why I'm hoping MR gets involved next year. But I honestly don't know if WPA has some sort of hold on the World Championship.

What I do know is that MR won't get involved if they don't think it will be successful. I think that's why the US Open in April is so important.
MR used to be involved until a scheduling conflict a few years ago(2008 iirc) made Barry split with them. WPA is bush-league compared to what Hearn and Matchroom have done. From '99 to '08, while BH WAS involved, things were rocking. Since he left the WC's have really lost their luster. Too bad. Ian Anderson is not the sharpest tool in the box.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Championship starts this Friday:

Main Event ( Stage 2 ) Group Round 14th till 16th December 2018 (3 Days)
Final Round by 64 players 17th, 19th & 20th December, 2018 ( 3 Days)

All they have listed so far for tv coverage is Al Kass TV Qatar.

I'm curious who got offered one of the 6 BCA allocated spots before all 6 were accepted (https://bca-pool.com/page/109 ?). SVB should be one as he isn't in the "top 24" WPA list for automatic placing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some of the best Pinoy players are not entered, most notably Dennis Orcullo, Warren Kiamco, Roberto Gomez and Lee Vann Corteza, not to mention Efren and Francisco. From the USA, no Skyler or Tyler on the list either. I think some people prefer not to go to Qatar for personal reasons. I know I have no interest in visiting there.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MR used to be involved until a scheduling conflict a few years ago(2008 iirc) made Barry split with them. WPA is bush-league compared to what Hearn and Matchroom have done. From '99 to '08, while BH WAS involved, things were rocking. Since he left the WC's have really lost their luster. Too bad. Ian Anderson is not the sharpest tool in the box.

Oh he's plenty sharp. How else can you explain promoters handing them money for years?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the best Pinoy players are not entered, most notably Dennis Orcullo, Warren Kiamco, Roberto Gomez and Lee Vann Corteza, not to mention Efren and Francisco. From the USA, no Skyler or Tyler on the list either. I think some people prefer not to go to Qatar for personal reasons. I know I have no interest in visiting there.

Any idea if Dennis turned down an invite? I can see him not being over in Asia enough to get one of his federation allocations, but there are 12 wildcards,,,

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree!

When Matchroom used to run the WC and held them in Cardiff they seemed to bell well received by fans and players alike, Corey commented on how the players used to like them during the England v USA match and I know over here getting a few snooker players involved was a smart move as it generated a lot of public interest.

If Matchroom had held onto it, then by now it could be as big as darts (and thats big over here).

But you never know, they clearly have ambitions (as hinted again during the England v USA warmup game), so you never know.

It would be great if Barry Hearn could run a proper tour, like he does with snooker!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Entrants from USA -- Deuel, Lombardo, Hart, Van Boening, Thorpe, Tokoph.

Qualifier event(s) include Chinakhov and Manalo (is he back to playing a lot?). None from USA.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Country with the most entries....Formosa
...Big Ko and Big Chang got back up.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And Tomoo Takano, who just won the All Japan Championship a couple weeks ago, is entered, but has to play in the qualifiers.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a damn shame how they are mistreating the most important individual event in pool.