The Legend of The Viffer

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David Peat also has the distinction of winning the Louie Roberts Award at DCC, an award for being in action the most for the tournament. His pool nickname is Dippy, if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
David Peat also has the distinction of winning the Louie Roberts Award at DCC, an award for being in action the most for the tournament. His pool nickname is Dippy, if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minor nitpick:

Dippy Dave won the Action & Entertainment Award. The award wasn’t about “most action.” The entertainment value of the action to the individual voters was the key.

Freddie <~~~ A&E needs resurrecting

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having seen his antics in person during the SVB v Alex match in the TAR Studio, I'm glad these rare threads are all we ever hear of him anymore. :rolleyes:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having seen his antics in person during the SVB v Alex match in the TAR Studio, I'm glad these rare threads are all we ever hear of him anymore. :rolleyes:

There are two sure-fire ways to get attention in this world, if you are a guy have lots of money, if you are a girl be hot. You can also just be loud and annoying without either of those but then you are just loud and annoying. If you combine the first with the second you get fame.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another thoroughly disgusting human being. More garbage has spewed from his mouth than from the mouth of the Hudson river.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Another thoroughly disgusting human being. More garbage has spewed from his mouth than from the mouth of the Hudson river.

LOL. Is this guy actually a gambler, or does he just like action, win or lose? Did he get an inheritance or something that he's trying to piss away ?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Is this guy actually a gambler, or does he just like action, win or lose? Did he get an inheritance or something that he's trying to piss away ?

He made a ton of money during the early days of online poker. He had to have brain surgery which affected his vision. Started playing online from a hospital bed is what I was told.

I saw him play quite a bit at Pool Sharks close to ten years ago. He knew what to do on a pool table but had problems with execution. He was playing races to 8 in one pocket switching off between Corey Deuel and Gabe Owen. I believe he got 16-4 for 10k. He lost every set I watched but they were all hill hill.

I also saw quite a bit of his infamous match with Scott Frost. Don't have the time to type up what happened in that one but there are probably threads on it somewhere.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He made a ton of money during the early days of online poker. He had to have brain surgery which affected his vision. Started playing online from a hospital bed is what I was told.

I saw him play quite a bit at Pool Sharks close to ten years ago. He knew what to do on a pool table but had problems with execution. He was playing races to 8 in one pocket switching off between Corey Deuel and Gabe Owen. I believe he got 16-4 for 10k. He lost every set I watched but they were all hill hill.

I also saw quite a bit of his infamous match with Scott Frost. Don't have the time to type up what happened in that one but there are probably threads on it somewhere.

No way that guy made his money playing poker. He had to get a huge inheritance or trust fund

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
he won more than most realized

Dave won more than most realized. He and Scott went at it for days, or nights, best I recall. Dave was/is moving in another world from pool players. I watched him drop $150,000 of his own money throwing out a silly bluff early in a poker game just to show the other players how wild he would play. A short time later he had the big stack. A freaking wild man they couldn't read with the big stack, not what the other players at the table wanted to see.

When his wild ride in pool was over with I doubt his financial swing was as large as that from many a night at the poker table. He waved all that cash at hungry pool players and they flocked to him. More than one got himself in a bad game and found that Dave wasn't completely helpless on a pool table.

Hu

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way that guy made his money playing poker. He had to get a huge inheritance or trust fund

I heard he grew up relatively poor in Ohio. I think Chris Bartram would know more about him. Anyone could make money playing poker in the early 2000s. The games were a joke.

It was funny to watch him play on poker after dark. He plays real loose and loves to overbet the pot. Kind of like Dwan and Doyle. Gives lots of action and ends up getting paid off a lot because his bluffing frequencies are so high.

I remember once I asked him if he would trade 1k cash if I sent him 1k on pokerstars. He said he would do 1k cash for 1,300 pokerstars. I laughed and thought I really hope he loses all his money to pro pool players.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Not everybody is all bad, Jay....lot of guys at the Rack were like that...
...but they dealt excitement.

Chris Bartram speaks well of him....he even went to Vegas to gamble with him...
...the deal fell through....Dippy covered his expenses.
A hustler took a shot with his toothpick at Dippy’s lumber yard...
...he lost everything...including his cue, to cover his last airbarrel...
..after a few days, Dippy went to one of his friends...said give him his cue back...
...man’s gotta have his tools

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not everybody is all bad, Jay....lot of guys at the Rack were like that...
...but they dealt excitement.

Chris Bartram sneaks well of him....he even went to Vegas to gamble with him...
...the deal fell through....Dippy covered his expenses.
A hustler took a shot with his toothpick at Dippy’s lumber yard...
...he lost everything...including his cue, to cover his last airbarrel...
..after a few days, Dippy went to one of his friends...said give him his cue back...
...man’s gotta have his tools

I have a lot of respect for Chris Bartram. I guess there's something I missed during my encounters with Dippy Dave. I found him to be crude and obnoxious. I also spent time with many poolroom degenerates over the years and most of them had some respect for women and were careful not to cross certain lines. Sure they would say most anything to make a game but you knew it was in jest. I'm not sure I can say that about Dippy. I've seen him be personally malicious to others and demeaning of women on a very nasty level. The fact that he gambles high does not impress me. I've probably bet more in one day on a real estate deal than he'll ever come close to in any poker game. And I've gone all-in opening a couple of poolrooms that if it didn't pan out I would be broke! I have zero respect for him.

People like you and Michael Andros I have a very high regard for, just by how you handle yourself on here, and I've never met either of you in person as far as i know.

Last edited:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member

That's hilarious Jay. Thanks for the laugh! I know you've seen more poolroom and poker degenerates than most. Lol.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
that's why I laugh about gamblers

I have a lot of respect for Chris Bartram. I guess there's something I missed during my encounters with Dippy Dave. I found him to be crude and obnoxious. I also spent time with many poolroom degenerates over the years and most of them had some respect for women and were careful not to cross certain lines. Sure they would say most anything to make a game but you knew it was in jest. I'm not sure I can say that about Dippy. I've seen him be personally malicious to others and demeaning of women on a very nasty level. The fact that he gambles high does not impress me. I've probably bet more in one day on a real estate deal than he'll ever come close to in any poker game. And I've gone all-in opening a couple of poolrooms that if it didn't pan out I would be broke! I have zero respect for him.

People like you and Michael Andros I have a very high regard for, just by how you handle yourself on here, and I've never met either of you in person as far as i know.

Every businessman is a gambler as you know, often going all in at worse odds than most pool players are getting. Took me five years to pay off the ten year loan to build one business. Sold that, threw in almost all of that cash and borrowed a $100K to open the next business. When I was buying and selling small pieces of land I was always rolling the dice a little too. I have lost count of the businesses I owned or partnered in. That was gambling. A few dollars on the ponies or a pool game, not so much!

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every businessman is a gambler as you know, often going all in at worse odds than most pool players are getting. Took me five years to pay off the ten year loan to build one business. Sold that, threw in almost all of that cash and borrowed a $100K to open the next business. When I was buying and selling small pieces of land I was always rolling the dice a little too. I have lost count of the businesses I owned or partnered in. That was gambling. A few dollars on the ponies or a pool game, not so much!

Hu

You get it Hu. There's gambling and then there's GAMBLING! Sounds like we've done both. :wink:

P.S. I've lost big but won bigger. So I've been fortunate overall. Some people I know lost big and never recovered. They went down the drain so to speak. One guy I knew owned a big trucking company but got caught up playing high stakes Hold'em with the big boys. He ended up in losing his business and his family, living in a little apartment in Venice, CA and driving a motor scooter for transportation. Another wealthy dentist lost everything behind gambling in Vegas and went off the deep end, finally committing suicide. Sad, but true.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
seen too many times

You get it Hu. There's gambling and then there's GAMBLING! Sounds like we've done both. :wink:

P.S. I've lost big but won bigger. So I've been fortunate overall. Some people I know lost big and never recovered. They went down the drain so to speak. One guy I knew owned a big trucking company but got caught up playing high stakes Hold'em with the big boys. He ended up in losing his business and his family, living in a little apartment in Venice, CA and driving a motor scooter for transportation. Another wealthy dentist lost everything behind gambling in Vegas and went off the deep end, finally committing suicide. Sad, but true.

Black-Balled, the cartoon is pretty much spot on! Dippy is only about 1/4 as dippy as he makes out.

Jay, Like you, I know too many sad gambling stories. Back when the banks were bundling and peddling mortgages as fast as they could the local bank took two mortgages on a friend's home knowing the man had a bad heart. Left his widow bankrupt. No mortgage cancellation insurance when the bank knew they were peddling the mortgages. The same bank made me buy loan coverage insurance when I borrowed $2500 for sixty days one morning. I know a handful more people that lost all gambling, some with a lot to lose.

One kinda funny story, a man was playing the ponies. He had access to the company checking account so he would cash five hundred and thousand dollar checks at the track, sometimes several times a day. The company finally noticed when the checking account was over a hundred thousand light. Putting the guy in prison wouldn't get the money back so instead they let him pay installments, while he was working on his tools helping build the Alaska pipeline! Guy wen from big wheel to journeyman in a flash. Took him several years to pay back the money. Cold! Cold in more ways than one.

I will say the man was braver or dumber than anyone I ever knew. Another time he was building a metal building. Wrote the whole crew a hot check to meet payroll. Needless to say, they were hot. He told them it was all a big mistake, he would cover both weeks at the end of the week. The end of the week he wrote them hot checks for both weeks work. That completed the building so if he survived he was golden. Somehow he survived! Had he written me hot checks for two weeks hard work and long hours I think I might have taken him fishing.

Hu