First time today with a Tim Scruggs Cue!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, just a little background, I have been playing for 55 years, collecting cues for 20 years, and settled in on five customs- now 6 with my new Scruggs- after owning maybe 50+ customs and high end productions over the years. I still run 40s in 14.1 regularly and can run multiple 9 ball racks. Old school as I do not play with any LD/ CF shafts- only the maple shafts that come with my cues. My "go to" player is my Richard Black "Split Diamond" model from 2003 that I bought directly from Richard Black. Some of my customs have included: Capone, JW, Gilbert,Skip Weston, Drzuricky, Palmer, Rambow, Gracio, Downey, etc.

I have always heard such great things about Tim Scruggs cues- how they play- and last week I bought one - I just had to see for myself! My cue arrived on Sat., but I could not get to a table until today- many of you can appreciate the anticipation this weekend- waiting for Monday to arrive- all weekend my thoughts just kept going back to being at the table and hoping the cue would not disappoint!

Well this morning came and I admit- I was like a seven year old on Christmas morning! When I got to a table this morning and began screwing the cue together, as with EVERY custom cue I ever owned, the anticipation as to how it would play is almost overwhelming. ALWAYS hoping that this new cue will be the BEST I ever played!

Well- I can cheerfully say tonight that Tim Scruggs makes one hell of a great playing cue- in my opinion. The cue has great balance and moves through my bridge hand like a sharp knife through soft butter. The hit was crisp, but just soft enough to give back great feedback on the follow through as the cue tip leaves the cue ball. Draw and follow were effortless. I preformed the standard deflection tests and this cue showed virtually NO deflection on a center ball right or left english application- the cue ball continued to strike the center of the object ball at the end of the table on a straight shot.

This Scruggs cue is a "FANCY" SP - or you could just call it a four point full splice cue with a Bocote wood base into a straight grain maple forearm. It has a black butt cap and black joint collars. The joint is Piloted Ivory 5/16 14 joint screw. Standard Scruggs maple shaft with an ivory ferrule and what looks like a Triangle tip. 12.75 MM tip and total weight of 19.3ounces at 58 1/2 inches. The cue is in mint/like new condition- like it hit maybe a few racks at one time.
I am a BELIEVER in Scruggs cues as per my personal experience today! This one is a keeper and a player!

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,125
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,131

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on getting a wonderful cue from Tim, a great cue-maker.
There’s been 3-4 of these fancy SP cues with ivory & other white joints
listed on the Forum. I’ve wanted to get one but CA has banned ivory
so I missed out. This is a true player’s cue & from Tim, so “Bravissimo”.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on getting a wonderful cue from Tim, a great cue-maker.
There’s been 3-4 of these fancy SP cues with ivory & other white joints
listed on the Forum. I’ve wanted to get one but CA has banned ivory
so I missed out. This is a true player’s cue & from Tim, so “Bravissimo”.

The odds on CA doing anything to crack down on you buying a single cue with ivory ferrules or ivory joint is basically zero.

How do you know if a Scuggs sneaky was actually made by Tim and not Bob? Are there different markings?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if Bob made it- it has a TS logo on the bottom - so whatever, it plays great! this may very well be my first choice in a game of consequence at this point. I wonder if the PILOTED ivory joint makes a difference in how well it plays? The shaft screws in very tight into the ivory joint.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP:

Congrats on the TS sneaky.....

I've owned and played with several a TS's cues. There are very few cues that play better than his sneaky cues.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if Bob made it- it has a TS logo on the bottom - so whatever, it plays great! this may very well be my first choice in a game of consequence at this point. I wonder if the PILOTED ivory joint makes a difference in how well it plays? The shaft screws in very tight into the ivory joint.

Yes...., IMO, it makes a big difference....huge.

Congrats,

Jeff

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a few Scruggs and the piloted joints were the best, imo. But I never had one with ivory.

It is a hunk of ivory, yes? Not a sleeved joint?

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice snag Mike. Player there. I have always had a 'thing' for sneakies and have had many but never a TS.

Had as close as you supposedly can get with a nice true SP ( no collars or butt cap) Coco Frey. Felt real nice. Heard Bob built allot of Tim's SP's.

I could go for a old TS true SP that was well played, but rarely come up. Think folks hold onto them.

Enjoy,

-Kat,

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Tim is on my top 5 favorite cuemakers of all time. I had a fancy sneaky from him a few years back, and still regret that I sold it. I'm playing with a Frey now :smilewinkgrin:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own two Tim Scruggs cues, one has some nice
inlay work, the other is a plain four pointer which
Is my daily player. Tim made IMO the most consistent
great hitting cues, every one I’ve tried has ‘that’ hit.

TS sneakies afak were made both by Tim and Bob..
someone told me if a TS sneaky has a Delrin butt
cap with TS logo, then Tim made it.. $.02

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own two Tim Scruggs cues, one has some nice
inlay work, the other is a plain four pointer which
Is my daily player. Tim made IMO the most consistent
great hitting cues, every one I’ve tried has ‘that’ hit.

TS sneakies afak were made both by Tim and Bob..
someone told me if a TS sneaky has a Delrin butt
cap with TS logo, then Tim made it.. $.02

Yes, this one has a black Delrin butt cap with TS logo. Thanks

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Tim Scruggs saying , his bocote into straight grain maple hit the best .

So I guess having a bocote into straight grain maple TS cue with an ivory piloted joint and ivory ferrules at 19.3 ounces total weight- one apparently made by TS himself; I accidentally came across perhaps the very BEST hitting cue combination possible- from an old school standpoint- I will say that it sure feels like it! I have some great hitting customs- Capone, Richard Black, Durzuricky, Downey, Gracio- this fancy SP from Tim is very hard to get out of my playing case now!!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Great cue, Mike
I’ve dealt in Tim’s cues in the 90s....I was keeping one for myself...
...but a friend whined me out of it.

I like Scruggs’ cues....but most of all liked Tim himself...’cause he laughed at my jokes...
...nobody else did...:embarrassed2:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, just a little background, I have been playing for 55 years, collecting cues for 20 years, and settled in on five customs- now 6 with my new Scruggs- after owning maybe 50+ customs and high end productions over the years. I still run 40s in 14.1 regularly and can run multiple 9 ball racks. Old school as I do not play with any LD/ CF shafts- only the maple shafts that come with my cues. My "go to" player is my Richard Black "Split Diamond" model from 2003 that I bought directly from Richard Black. Some of my customs have included: Capone, JW, Gilbert,Skip Weston, Drzuricky, Palmer, Rambow, Gracio, Downey, etc.

I have always heard such great things about Tim Scruggs cues- how they play- and last week I bought one - I just had to see for myself! My cue arrived on Sat., but I could not get to a table until today- many of you can appreciate the anticipation this weekend- waiting for Monday to arrive- all weekend my thoughts just kept going back to being at the table and hoping the cue would not disappoint!

Well this morning came and I admit- I was like a seven year old on Christmas morning! When I got to a table this morning and began screwing the cue together, as with EVERY custom cue I ever owned, the anticipation as to how it would play is almost overwhelming. ALWAYS hoping that this new cue will be the BEST I ever played!

Well- I can cheerfully say tonight that Tim Scruggs makes one hell of a great playing cue- in my opinion. The cue has great balance and moves through my bridge hand like a sharp knife through soft butter. The hit was crisp, but just soft enough to give back great feedback on the follow through as the cue tip leaves the cue ball. Draw and follow were effortless. I preformed the standard deflection tests and this cue showed virtually NO deflection on a center ball right or left english application- the cue ball continued to strike the center of the object ball at the end of the table on a straight shot.

This Scruggs cue is a "FANCY" SP - or you could just call it a four point full splice cue with a Bocote wood base into a straight grain maple forearm. It has a black butt cap and black joint collars. The joint is Piloted Ivory 5/16 14 joint screw. Standard Scruggs maple shaft with an ivory ferrule and what looks like a Triangle tip. 12.75 MM tip and total weight of 19.3ounces at 58 1/2 inches. The cue is in mint/like new condition- like it hit maybe a few racks at one time.
I am a BELIEVER in Scruggs cues as per my personal experience today! This one is a keeper and a player!

That’s a hell of a pole. Congrats.

Best,
Fatboy

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I guess having a bocote into straight grain maple TS cue with an ivory piloted joint and ivory ferrules at 19.3 ounces total weight- one apparently made by TS himself; I accidentally came across perhaps the very BEST hitting cue combination possible- from an old school standpoint- I will say that it sure feels like it! I have some great hitting customs- Capone, Richard Black, Durzuricky, Downey, Gracio- this fancy SP from Tim is very hard to get out of my playing case now!!

Hang on to it!.. they're getting really hard to find, you'd regret it if you
sold it!.. GREAT player cue!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no oubt you have a genuine Tim Scruggs sneaky pete

All scruggs cues were made by Tim,Mike Cochran or Bob Frey

all under the careful eye of Tim to the same demanding specification

Yours is a TS tim Scruggs or he would not put his name on it

Should you or anyone here on AZ want another made the exact same way
Bob Frey can make more the exact same way,just as good but with his logo

These cues have the reputation of being the best hitting cues ever made