Thin CA works best

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Cut my left thumb in the kitchen yesterday. Tried to go the local ER. There was a 2-hour wait.
Left and fixed it myself. Let is coagulate then threw in thin CA in there.
Went to an Urgent Care clinic today to get it looked at.
The doctor said he couldn't have done it better. LOL
He just cleaned it and taped it. Gave me an anti-thenaous shot and sent me home.

Yes, it's cue making related.
I used Loctite Red CA. Haha!
I'm on limited duty today as it still throbs .

Attachments

• IMG_20170111_172132.jpg
    IMG_20170111_172132.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do a lot of hand tool work. I've never hurt myself with a powertool, but have had stitches multiple times from hand tool slips. For a while, I knew all the staff at my local ER. I always took a little pride when they commented on how clean the cut was, like a scalpel.

What bit ya', anyhow?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen people close wounds a variety of ways. Glue, duct tape, electrical tape...tampons can be used to plug a bullet wound.

This ain't rocket science. :wink::D:thumbup:

CA works great, we do use it. I would recommend a clear thin CA though. A colored CA may leave you with a "Tattoo".

I hope it heals nicely for you. Watch for signs of infection (increasing redness, puss, pain). If the pain starts to increase enormously then go get it looked at again immediately.

FYI- I HATE finger tip wounds...they always gave me the willies. LOL! :eek::eek::eek:

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
thin seeps in my cut too fast and burns like hell, on top of pain from cut, medium zap-a-gap works wonders. That's a more than a "little" cut you got there, looks like you could have easily list the whole tip, glad it wasn't any worse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I use the thin also, with a quick squirt of accelerator. My fingers tend to split on the nail edge in winter, so a little CA, then accel. and the pain stops almost immediately.
Dave

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joey
You need to go online & look up this;
Porter`s Liniment Salve (white/green letter tin can)
http://www.porterssalve.com/
I`ve used this stuff forever. Used to buy it locally at my drug store for like $6 bucks a tin.
They quit carrying it, now you gotta buy it from the company in OH or ebay.
For a cut like yours, smear the slave on the cut, wrap it up, leave it wrapped for 4 or 5 days. This stuff works amazing Hope this helps you out buddy

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
My kids are immune to blood & gore. They know the drill when I come to the house yelling, "get the glue!" That means it's bad enough that I need a third hand to help. It amazes me how quickly a would heals if you get it closed & glued right away.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I occasionally split a nail when I stick my finger into the spinning chuck............ just CA the split back together and go on..................

Kim

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Injury

Ouch! The nerve ending in your fingers are very sensitive.
I hope you had your safety glasses on tho'

Thanks for sharing, hope it gives viewers that mind of being safe and preventing or seeing accidental injuries before they happen.

Rob.M

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I'm feeling much better today. I'm gonna tape it up and work on the lathe tonight.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of a work related accident that happened about two years back. I was cleaning up some welds at work with an angle grinder with a Vision flap disc and my glove got sucked in between the disc and the cover around it. The grinder took away the nail from my finger and tore up the fingertip pretty well. Called an ambulance to patch it up, got taken to the ER where I waited for some 3 hours waiting for a nurse to clean it up from the metal debris left in the wound. Atleast I had time to watch Mikas run of 226 in straight pool :) It turns out there is a massive amount of nerves under fingernails, it hurt a bit cleaning the wound and even a few weeks after because it got inflammed later on :thumbup: As of today the fingernail has grown back but it looks a bit weird. Its also very sensitive to cold and pressure. Finger itself moves and functions though so I'm happy with it :grin:

Below is a link to a picture a few days later after the brief meeting with the angle grinder. It isnt too graphic but for good manners I wont post it with img tags.
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r586/Silencedi/20150317_101828.jpg

Too bad I didnt have any CA on hand, maybe it would've been a DIY fix :thumbup:

Stay safe :wink:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cut my left thumb in the kitchen yesterday. Tried to go the local ER. There was a 2-hour wait.
Left and fixed it myself. Let is coagulate then threw in thin CA in there.
Went to an Urgent Care clinic today to get it looked at.
The doctor said he couldn't have done it better. LOL
He just cleaned it and taped it. Gave me an anti-thenaous shot and sent me home.

Yes, it's cue making related.
I used Loctite Red CA. Haha!
I'm on limited duty today as it still throbs .

Ouch! Glad it wasn't worse. I wish you a speedy recovery JB.
Best regards.
Joe P.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a very big concern Joey, I am sure others have the same concern.

IS THE KNIFE OK?

Since you already put the CA on, why not put a tip on like the original pool players did?

Here is a link to show how it's done,

https://youtu.be/dEhOvRtbVYk

Last edited:

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Wounds

I've used "New Skin" for wounds for decades. Same as CA but it is medical grade with some good smelling stuff--CVS or Walgreens. CA was used in Vietnam to patch up many GI's.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I've used "New Skin" for wounds for decades. Same as CA but it is medical grade with some good smelling stuff--CVS or Walgreens. CA was used in Vietnam to patch up many GI's.

Thanks Bob.
I'll get one tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the concerns.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a very big concern Joey, I am sure others have the same concern.

IS THE KNIFE OK?

On the occasions I've sliced myself with a nice, sharp chisel, I'm always sure to wipe off the knife and put a little oil on it before doing anything else. Blood rusts steal almost instantly...learned that lesson the hard way.