Would you pay $75 to have your shaft converted to reduced deflection ?

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I would

It will be drilled at least 5" . Carbon fiber tube will be used for tenon.
New lightweight but durable ferrule will be installed. Carbon fiber pad will be added.
The same length as your ferrule now. Less if you don't mind the shaft being a little shorter .
Premium tips are extra of course .

The shaft will lose at least 1/10th MM in diameter up front.

Joey,
This is something I would like to do. I am having a cue made and the cue maker
does not make LD shafts. I was having them made 13mm, that is the size I want.
so you tell me what size to have them made, so when you are finished they will
be 13mm. I will send them unplayed to you.
thanks,
jack

BurritoBandido

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a break cue that I rarely use because I do not like the tip/ferrule combo, however I really love the balance and weight of the cue. Could that shaft be tuned and have the tip replaced so that I can use it as a playing cue?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a break cue that I rarely use because I do not like the tip/ferrule combo, however I really love the balance and weight of the cue. Could that shaft be tuned and have the tip replaced so that I can use it as a playing cue?

:thumbup:

Yes, no problem.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2001 Rick Howard has 2 shafts. I had a Westinghouse Micarta ferrule & Chandivert Champion tip that I had been saving installed on 1 shaft and an Ivory ferrule/milkdud installed on the other. Then I had Keith Josey turn down both to 12.75mm. I thought long & hard about making any changes.
Everything is laser straight and these changes very much, IMO, improved the feel and performance. I could not have been more satisfied. I think it could have just as easily messed these shafts up. I feel fortunate but the only thing from now on is tips when needed!

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he is saying

You have a cue you like, but it has to much deflection.Joey who is a premier
cue maker can change your shaft to a LD shaft for a very reasonable price.
If this service is not something you are interested in then there is no reason
to respond. If you answer no because that seems to high say so, if you don't
think he is capable of doing it, say that. To say no I don't want any one messing
up my shafts is ridiculous. You obviously are not interested in the service, so
why respond. That is like calling up a guy that paints cars and telling him,I'm
not letting anyone paint my car I like the way it is.
jack

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Hell no. Buying a whole new shaft at 500 bucks or less is a better option IMO just so my current shaft remains as it currently is.

Wilk

Registered
I have been doing this for around a year now for my friends and family cues. Haven't quite got out of the experimenting stage yet. I have learned that the longer the carbon fiber tenon is, its controls the stiffness, and flexpoint in the shaft. However I am still trying to find the right combination of inner/outer diameter of the carbon fiber tenon. Anyone have any recommendations, and probably more importantly why you recommend those dimensions?

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Yeah, I'd probably give it a whirl. If you're actually doing this, please shoot me a PM.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with cues made by knowledgable cue makers and I want their cues to play the way their cues play. Otherwise, I would just use a decent production cue and call it a day.

There is very few cuemakers as knowledgable as joey and just google him and/or kerry zylr if you want to know who he is and PLAYABILITY in cues and shafts. I certainly would do this,my only concern would be losing too much of my shaft diameter,if i could be assured not to lose more than 1-2 tenths of a mm then yes for sure.i have owned cues by almost all of the florida makers( showman,rick howard,nitti,mobley,NOT a searing lol,can,t afford) and joey builds a BETTER hitting cue than all those even though i do like ricks HIT alot. I,m just assuming you might play one of those.