How much does it cost?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If you sleep in a tree and just walk everywhere and eat the air it’s cheap af! But your probably more the glamping gotta bathe and eat meat and such I’ll bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't have bills at home and don't mind sleeping in your car often...and don't care about tomorrow and don't mind wearing the same clothes multiple times between washing and carrying all your shit with you all the time and don't have any losses...

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It all depends on how you want to travel. A nice hotel in most areas is $150 or sleep in your car at a rest stop. The car option is free in summer but you may need to start it to run the heater in winter. So lodging is somewhere between zero and $45,000. I suspect food, transportation and income have the same basic range of variation.

It sounds like a pretty expensive fantasy camp to me. For that kind of money you can probably be a cowboy or race car driver or maybe a goat herder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Race car driver is a no-go. I had a buddy who was invited to join a real big domestic race team- open wheel, step down from f1, I forget what the class name was- and he had to bring like 150k in sponsor money with him.

Ow

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to do it. Do it.

Don't let other people's fear keep you from doing something you want to.

There are ways to do this on the cheap. I don't know where you live but iirc you used to live in Cali and then Washington state right? Sorry if I have you confused with someone else.

Immersion is the best. I drove around in my 1st get tundra (2001) with a topper on the back and a real twin mattress. I'd stay at national park campgrounds in between cities for $15-20/night - they have showers and restrooms. The real mattress is key. RV Mattresses/air mattresses/camping mattresses suck. I heard recently though that national parks may have raised their camping rates. In that case I would just stay at state park or BLM campgrounds.

Then spend money on a real hotel room when you are playing and need the sleep/shower etc...

Stay sober so you can drive after a night of playing. It's pretty cool to play until 2-2:30 in the am at some bar and have a pocket full of $5 bills and then just get in the truck and head out of town to the next camp spot, get there, watch the sun come up and then sleep for a few hours. Make sure you bring a fishing pole :)

You can probably buy a used pickup in good shape with 100K miles fairly cheap and sell it when you are done for minimum loss. It used to be that every tournament you went to had several RVs and trucks with campers in the parking lot because many players used to travel tournament to tournament this way.

In your situation it's completely doable. Areas like Phoenix and Denver have a lot of local weekly tournaments. It might make sense to go somewhere with good action and set up a second base of operations. Then when you're not in the field you can just live there and get in a second local pool scene. This will give you a lot of new players to compete with. Then travel to tournaments from whichever 'home' is closer to the event. If you book flights in advance you can fly anywhere in the country for less than $200.

If I were going to do this I would hit up the west coast swing events that are going on now, the Wyoming Open, the Junior Norris in Texas, The Dave Peonia in Concord, CA and the Rumrunner in Las Vegas for sure. If you can play in a BCA league and get qualified to play in the BCA regional events thats another venue to play in.

If you are a good player and play well for the weekend there are enough amateurs in these tournaments that you can cash if you get a decent draw.

Take the west coast swing events, for example, even though there are top pros there is almost always a tough amateur in the top 4-5 spots. This year Chris McDaniel from Denver is doing well in the West Coast Swing one pocket. A couple years ago local player Jason Williams got in the finals of the 10-ball.

The experience is priceless. It will help your pool game and you'll meet a lot of great pool players - pro and amateur both - that you will run into all over the country. It's a lot of fun to hang out at these tournaments too.

This is definitely a west coast centric post. If you're not in the west finding campgrounds and things might be much harder.

Great advice! It sounds super fun.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m going to go on a little rant here but I have seen a rare few guys in my lifetime work a full time job and still find time to totally immerse themself in sports and become national class athletes.All you need is drive.Everybody I know around here that is good can be found on a pool table somewhere every night of the week.You just work ,play pool ,and sleep.And then if you are showing that you are on the edge of maybe being something, you take the leap and go after it.I think the “drop everything and 24/7 pool and you will be a pro” is a myth.The people I knew/know that went to a very high level just loved the sport and played for years and years until they just kind of separated above the local really good guys at some point and the only way to find out how far they could go was to take on national class competition.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I think I'm going to get a sweet van so I can do this. I will save tons of money

Yeah no you won’t... because you’ll be spending it on weed man....living in a van down by the river....those papers they ain’t for writing your psr....they for rolling doobies when you living in a van down by the river

Lol hope I’m not dating myself with that Farley joke

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a night manager job at McDonalds. McDonalds will pay better at first, and it will pay better in the long term too! (Hell, doesn't have to be night manager, fry guy will probably pay better also).

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
travel around within a few hours driving distance of home and play in pool rooms for cash. if you cant crush all the players then you wont do anything but lose badly in tournaments unless they are small entry fee local ones. your dream will be dashed. and you wont get enough playing time in to improve.

you will get better faster as well playing for cash against unknown players. and can actually win if you quit when its obvious you arent the better player or made a good game.

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Wow 100k a year with 6 months off. Where do I sign up?? If your boss is reading this I will do it for 90k a year w 5 months off. Just kidding. If you are in that situation why care what others say do what you want. I get 3300 monthly retirement and I am considering traveling full time too. I have extra things I do while traveling that makes 5-700 weekly. Nothing illegal of course. Good luck. Just do it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How much does it cost for you guys to live the pool player life, going from tournament to tournament. Is there anyone out here that can give me an accurate or estimated costs of life on road? I want to try this out.

Any other things you can help me out with? Tips for saving money? etc

I'd say that for the great majority (maybe 75-80%) of the pool players whose names you see playing in tournaments all over the country it's a losing proposition. They usually have sponsors or backers paying their expenses so they can follow these events. Or they have other sources of income (inheritance, family wealth) to support themselves while on the road. Otherwise it would be impossible for them to maintain this lifestyle.

There may be another 10-15% who manage to scrape by week to week by consistently making top ten finishes (someone like Warren K.). Then there are the elite 5-10% who are the consistent winners. These are the ones (like Shane and Dennis) who are grabbing the top prizes week after week. They are the only ones making a decent living from pro pool. They stake themselves in the smaller events and have backers for any big money endeavors.

All this said, my advice to you is this. If you have adequate resources (say 40-50K in spendable funds) to support yourself for a year on the road, then go for it! You will in all likelihood lose most of that money during the course of the year, but you will have the time of your life. You will become a better player and be able to terrorize your local tournaments afterward. If you actually do well, you may still have a bankroll (like 25K) at the end of the year. That would be a bonus.

If you don't have the necessary savings in disposable income then you best wait until you do. Otherwise you will not last long out there.

The bottom line to all this - ENJOY YOUR LIFE! It will be over before you know it and the opportunities for adventure will be long gone. I quit college (at 20) and an opportunity for a guaranteed future to play pool because I loved to play. I scuffled around for the next eight years gambling at pool on a daily basis. I lived on the cheap and I always had money in my pocket. I actually pumped up my meager bank account to over 10K in the late 1960's, more than most pro players could say. I knew by the time I was 25, that I wanted to own my own pool hall and I got my first place in Bakersfield at age 27! I never looked back after that, finding a way to make a living from pool for the next forty years and at the same time investing for the future.

I never made big money from owning poolrooms or working at tournaments, but thanks to timely investments and some good luck I've retired comfortably now. I can go to tournaments if I like (win or lose) and take vacations when the mood strikes me. I have little to no debt and enough income to support myself and my wife (and dog) for the rest of my life.

I like to say that the poolroom education I got in those early years has benefited me my entire life. I'm a pretty good judge of character and can spot a con man a mile away. Like all of us I have some regrets about the choices I made, but I wouldn't change anything even if I could. I've enjoyed an interesting life so far and managed to help a few people out along the way. That's about all any of us can do. So good luck to you!

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I'd say that for the great majority (maybe 75-80%) of the pool players whose names you see playing in tournaments all over the country it is a losing proposition. They usually have sponsors or backers paying their expenses so they can follow these events. Or they have other sources of income (inheritance, family wealth) to support themselves while on the road. Otherwise it would be impossible for them to maintain this lifestyle.

There may be another 10-15% who manage to scrape by week to week by consistently making top ten finishes (someone like Warren K.). Then there are the elite 5-10% who are the consistent winners. These are the ones (like Shane and Dennis) who are grabbing the top prizes week after week. They are the only ones making a decent living from pro pool. They stake themselves in the smaller events and have backers for any big money endeavors.

All this said, my advice to you is this. If you have adequate resources (say 40-50K in spendable funds) to support yourself for a year on the road, then go for it! You will in all likelihood lose most of that money during the course of the year, but you will have the time of your life. You will become a better player and be able to terrorize your local tournaments afterward. If you actually do well, you may still have a bankroll (like 25K) at the end of the year. That would be a bonus.

If you don't have the necessary savings in disposable income then you best wait until you do. Otherwise you will not last long out there.

The bottom line to all this - ENJOY YOUR LIFE! It will be over before you know it and the opportunities for adventure will be long gone. I quit college (at 20) and an opportunity for a guaranteed future to play pool because I loved to play. I scuffled around for the next eight years gambling at pool on a daily basis. I lived on the cheap and I always had money in my pocket. I actually pumped up my meager bank account to over 10K in the late 1960's, more than most pro players could say. I knew by the time I was 25, that I wanted to own my own pool hall and I got my first place in Bakersfield at age 27! I never looked back after that, finding a way to make a living from pool for the next forty years and at the same time investing for the future.

I never made big money from owning poolrooms or working at tournaments, but thanks to timely investments and some good luck I've retired comfortably now. I can go to tournaments if I like (win or lose) and take vacations when the mood strikes me. I have little to no debt and enough income to support myself and my wife (and dog) for the rest of my life.

I like to say that the poolroom education I got in those early years has benefited me my entire life. I'm a pretty good judge of character and can spot a con man a mile away. Like all of us I have some regrets about the choices I made, but I wouldn't change anything even if I could. I've enjoyed an interesting life so far and managed to help a few people out along the way. That's about all any of us can do. So good luck to you!

Tap tap tap.

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say that for the great majority (maybe 75-80%) of the pool players whose names you see playing in tournaments all over the country it's a losing proposition. They usually have sponsors or backers paying their expenses so they can follow these events. Or they have other sources of income (inheritance, family wealth) to support themselves while on the road. Otherwise it would be impossible for them to maintain this lifestyle.

I like your style sir

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Chip and Joey got 3rd and 5th I believe once at the whitediamonds event and after the Calcutta costs they made like 50$

lol they were staying with me and chip says morning they left

“What do you know biggest paying barbox event in the world, both go top 5 and don’t make nothing....brutal”