New TV Show for Pool?

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Hi folks,

A friend of mine, Larry Nathan, got the idea to spread his love of pool to every day viewers who might be interested in picking up a cue, so we shot 3 episodes and this is the first one that got produced, although it was the 2nd one we shot. (The first one, I covered fundamentals, and the 3rd one I discussed tangent lines.)

Here is what I posted on Facebook and I hope everyone will share it:

Here is our TV show that we are hoping to take nationally and go viral. This is a pilot for a TV series we are hoping gets picked up nationally. Please share and show network execs that it is something mainstream America would watch weekly! It's geared to beginners and intermediates. It's the brainchild of Larry Nathan and used local talent (you can search for more of Jesse Allred's videos on YouTube) and a piece from Darren Appleton. If there is good response we have 2 other episodes shot and ready to go, so please watch, share, and make it go viral!!

Please comment with feedback and remember, none of us used scripts! Please share on your wall and help further the cause of getting more people exposed to pool! Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GEs0TA3AfWw

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Hi folks,

A friend of mine, Larry Nathan, got the idea to spread his love of pool to every day viewers who might be interested in picking up a cue, so we shot 3 episodes and this is the first one that got produced, although it was the 2nd one we shot. (The first one, I covered fundamentals, and the 3rd one I discussed tangent lines.)

Here is our TV show that we are hoping to take nationally and go viral. This is a pilot for a TV series we are hoping gets picked up nationally. Please share and show network execs that it is something mainstream America would watch weekly! It's geared to beginners and intermediates. It's the brainchild of Larry Nathan and used local talent (you can search for more of Jesse Allred's videos on YouTube) and a piece from Darren Appleton. If there is good response we have 2 other episodes shot and ready to go, so please watch, share, and make it go viral!!

Please comment with feedback and remember, none of us used scripts! Please share on your wall and help further the cause of getting more people exposed to pool! Thanks!

This is like "Tool Time" or "this old home"! A lot of basic instruction!

Cool

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's tasteful and well done. It projects a much better image of pool, one that is quite different than the stereotypical men-only smoke-filled rooms frequented by scallywags and scoundrels.

Industry members whining and complaining about how pro pool players don't do squat for their business should try to help out this effort, but they're too busy greasing the palm of other industry members, instead of giving back to the sport. They have already sh*t-canned professional pool. Shame on them.

Men ruined pool from the get-go. Maybe it's time for women to take over.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi folks,

First off, I think what you have done was excellent. I may have expressed some of the information differently but the quality of the production was very well done. I for the longest time have felt that a pool series on PBS with instruction would be a natural. They have everything on there from painting, sewing to gardening. If you watch PBS you will notice that a lot of what is on there often was shot years ago. That is the great thing about information it can be timeless. Once you have the production in the can you can market it over and over.

Another was to present the information is as an informercial. There used to be a guy who sold Guitars on HSN. named Esteban. The shows were well done. They consisted of him playing and in the interim they pitched his guitars. I always watched when he was on for the music. Unfortunately the guitars were junk but the sales concept was good. The mix of entertainment and selling.

Now think of the same thing except with pool. A company like McDermott or Muicci could do it. Selling their cues as they have pros giving instruction and match play. To me it seems like a natural. Or in your case maybe the BCA leagues system promoting their leagues.

There are a lot of ideas out there for pool that have never been explored.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I applaud the effort and commend the dedication it took to put this all together. This is the kind of marketing that will help pool.

In another post I mentioned bringing pool to shopping malls across the country. Erect a table, get a pro with some autographed pictures, challenge some mall shoppers to a game of 8 ball for prizes and with enough exposure, pool will re-surge big time.

Promoting your TV show along with this will take it even farther. Putting the two together will certainly get local and network news coverage.

This is good for all in the pool industry. Table mfgs, cue mfgs, and on and on ...

Any of you out there with deep pockets, step up ... get behind these guys and help them kick start this thing. This was a great effort put together for pool. I hope it works!

--------------------------------

*** On a side note *** It was nice to see this young fellow demonstrating how to aim. You see you guys, I've been harping on this technique for over 40 years. It was taught to me by a guy who ran hundreds from behind the counter of our local pool room while talking on the phone and checking customers in and out. I remember him saying, "if ya wanna run balls, ya can't be missing", and he showed me ths way of setting up. :thumbup:

( It may be the only technique you don't need a college degree and protractor for, and it works just as well with any english)

Good work young man!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Any of you out there with deep pockets, step up ... get behind these guys and help them kick start this thing. This was a great effort put together for pool. I hope it works!

They should make a KickStarter for it. If every AZ member tossed them $3 they would be financed.

Incentive-based donating, with multiple tiers, ala PBS fundraisers with totebags and CD's, only market-driven gifts, like free cues or accessories at each tier. Genius fundraising in the modern age.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
First off, I think what you have done was excellent. I may have expressed some of the information differently but the quality of the production was very well done. I for the longest time have felt that a pool series on PBS with instruction would be a natural. They have everything on there from painting, sewing to gardening. If you watch PBS you will notice that a lot of what is on there often was shot years ago. That is the great thing about information it can be timeless. Once you have the production in the can you can market it over and over.

Another was to present the information is as an informercial. There used to be a guy who sold Guitars on HSN. named Esteban. The shows were well done. They consisted of him playing and in the interim they pitched his guitars. I always watched when he was on for the music. Unfortunately the guitars were junk but the sales concept was good. The mix of entertainment and selling.

Now think of the same thing except with pool. A company like McDermott or Muicci could do it. Selling their cues as they have pros giving instruction and match play. To me it seems like a natural. Or in your case maybe the BCA leagues system promoting their leagues.

There are a lot of ideas out there for pool that have never been explored.

Yes, we wanted to start out with leagues. The first show covered APA, the 2nd originally featured TAP, and the 3rd covered BCA, so he actually edited several things into this one. All I know is the shirt I wore was for the 2nd day, lol. You will see me in the background on opening and also on the speed break contest wearing the 1st day clothes. We also showed drills for every episode but they didn't make it into this one.

Eventually, he wanted to do coverage of 9/10 ball, straight pool (his first love), one pocket, etc.

In the first episode, I had to cover tips, chalking, pool etiquette, stance, grip, and all bridges in only 4 minutes, with Larry's intro taking up 30 seconds, lol. I could probably cover an hour on each subject!

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
They should make a KickStarter for it. If every AZ member tossed them $3 they would be financed.

Incentive-based donating, with multiple tiers, ala PBS fundraisers with totebags and CD's, only market-driven gifts, like free cues or accessories at each tier. Genius fundraising in the modern age.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

2nd this. Good idea.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pilot

Good presentation. Shows pool in a positive light.
No doubt, Larry worked with what he had. Sponsors/producers, if obtained, may want to find a younger player/representative to showcase the sport...

No matter the angle though, we need to present pool AS a sport. One that requires one to condition themselves so as to be able to play for hours at a time (as in league or tourney play). They also need good nutrition that keeps their eyes healthy and their bodies young.

The better pool player is not done at the table but AWAY from the table.

BRUCE LEE SAID IT BEST....."Training is one of the most neglected phases of athletics.
Too much time is given to the development of skill and too little to the development of the individual for participation..."

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Well done Linda.

Excellent pilot show and it can only get better.

If every AZ member tossed them $3 they would be financed.

I'm in for a bit more than $3 if we can get an effort going and a Pay Pal address.

A much better investment in Pool than giving it to scaliwags and scoundrels as Jam mentioned.

At least we know our money won't get spent in the bar or on video machines.

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
Well done Linda.

Excellent pilot show and it can only get better.

I'm in for a bit more than $3 if we can get an effort going and a Pay Pal address.

A much better investment in Pool than giving it to scaliwags and scoundrels as Jam mentioned.

At least we know our money won't get spent in the bar or on video machines.

Thank you. I will talk to Larry about this and see what we can come up with.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, we wanted to start out with leagues. The first show covered APA, the 2nd originally featured TAP, and the 3rd covered BCA, so he actually edited several things into this one. All I know is the shirt I wore was for the 2nd day, lol. You will see me in the background on opening and also on the speed break contest wearing the 1st day clothes. We also showed drills for every episode but they didn't make it into this one.

Eventually, he wanted to do coverage of 9/10 ball, straight pool (his first love), one pocket, etc.

In the first episode, I had to cover tips, chalking, pool etiquette, stance, grip, and all bridges in only 4 minutes, with Larry's intro taking up 30 seconds, lol. I could probably cover an hour on each subject!

Heck, you put together say a 10 or 20 part series. Once you have it in the can you shop it around. Like I said, information is timeless. Once it is done your can market it for years and years. I really like the PBS concept.

I had to come back the phone rang. What I meant by a 10 or 20 part series was, say 20 or 30 minute segments. Each covering a different area that can be shown in an order that can take someone through most of what one would need to know to become an improved player starting with the most basic. Pool is an acquired skill that one develops over time. Much like a musical instrument you can't teach someone everything there is to know in a week and all of a sudden they can play, people progress at their own pace. It would be a lot of work but like I said, once it is done you have a product that is good for many years.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea........needs a lot of work........watched 25 mins, couldn't watch it any longer......had to fast forward thru the rest of the video...........again, a great idea but the narrative approach and overall script was really very weak to the point of disinterest..........Don't give up on the project and give it another attempt but by all means, do revisit your vision for this project.

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good idea, well done. Couple spots had some echo, could of been utube or whatever.
I will check them out. Thank you for doing something good for pool.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Linda, I watched as far as your turn to teach. I have it up on the screen and will finish tonight when I get my chores done for the day.

Any hints for what might be planned for future episodes.

Advanced lessons, guest visits from players, that sort of thing?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I loved the way pool was presented in a positive light. Will it sell on today's TV? I dunno...but doubtful. You see, not enough phony "drama" added. This is not a bad reflection on the pilot. Rather, a sad commentary on what passes for "entertainment" today.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I agree, I can't watch half the crap that passes for entertainment these days.

Maybe in the future, Nathan might be like the Australian Oyster and teach in the buff.

God I hope not. I would hope that people take it for what it is meant to be. An informative show on the game, how to play and how to become involved in league pool.

When you think about it, not everyone knows how to play or the proper contacts in their area to become involved in league play.

I am on our local League committee. At the beginning of every league season, I start to get geared up and part of what I do is to get new teams and in general, people interested in starting out. I help single players that have no contacts get onto teams etc. And because everyone pretty much knows me and has my number, I get roped into sparing on the nights that I am not playing. Wish I could learn to say No once in a while.

I wish the people involved great success as this is one of the things that is needed in pool. Just to generate some new interest in the sport and get the information out there.

I am looking forward to new episodes as there will probably be things for me to learn that would help our league out as well.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nicely done Linda! Thanks for your efforts and the other folks as well. The quality was very high for a first time run and I expect will get even better in the future. Looks like you may be onto something. The pool room looks nice and clean plus all the folks involved are very well dressed. Good for you and for pool!!! :thumbup: