What's your estimated fargo rating if you beat 9 ball ghost more often than not?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are numerous factors as to what rules you play vs the ghost which greatly affect how hard it is. Of course what size table and pockets you're playing on? Do you use a template rack or not? Do you rack high with the 9-ball on the spot or not? Do you lose if you scratch on the break? Can you win by playing the 9-ball early or do you still have to run out all remaining balls on the table?

When I play the ghost, I play by the strictest rules possible and on an extremely tight table, so my chance of beating the ghost in a race to 11 has generally been very small - so when I occasionally happen to pull it off, it makes it far more rewarding! I've found the biggest obstacle /frustration for me when playing the ghost is either scratching on the break, or when even on a good hard break, the balls just by chance get tied up, making it very hard to run them. Once in a while I've literally had no shot at making even the very first ball, even with ball-in-hand!

For sure, lots of factors. If any 625 speed in the greater Phoenix area would like to try the ghost a race to 9 on a standard 9’ Diamond, they’d have action wiith me betting on the ghost. Any rack, any pattern racking they’d like, BIH after the break. Standard 9-ball rules otherwise.

JC

Coos Cues
https://www.facebook.com/RoysBasement/videos/358405401420445/

Just watched Kristina play 10b giving this Justin Kent guy +3 race to 8 10b.

She has a killer 10b break. I think I saw her break dry only once out of 7. Ran a bunch of racks. Kent might've shot 3 times on the first set. Won 8-3.

Her Fargo 702 might be underrated.

Man what a display that was. Very sound player.

However the guy Kent is very weak. I could give him 8-5 and rob him and I'm a 600 fargo.

JC

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d personally bet against a 700 or lower player on a 9’ Pro Cut Diamond playing the 9 ball ghost and feel like I have the best of it.

A bucket 9’ GC I think would be even money.

JC

Coos Cues
I’d personally bet against a 700 or lower player on a 9’ Pro Cut Diamond playing the 9 ball ghost and feel like I have the best of it.

A bucket 9’ GC I think would be even money.

That Tkach lady will beat the 9 ball ghost for weeks on end @ 702

Count on it.

JC

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Count on it.

JC
I have to question the value of the fargo rankings when I see that there are currently 18 female players in the world who (according to Fargo) would be favored in a match vs Allison Fisher.

JC

Coos Cues
I have to question the value of the fargo rankings when I see that there are currently 18 female players in the world who (according to Fargo) would be favored in a match vs Allison Fisher.

Allison isn't what she once was. I believe there are that many. Did you watch that Russian gal Tkach? Reminds me of Allison in her prime. The female game is way up from days gone by worldwide.

JC

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post it up on the sticky thread about the 2019 ghost challenge.

I figured I would be the sucker and go ahead and try the ghost on a 9' Diamond.
I posted the video in the ghost challenge thread if anyone needs a good laugh.
I've been laughed at before so don't hold back. Anyway it was fun. Almost got really lucky at the end but I was glad I didn't win that game. I've been struggling some over the last couple weeks so maybe the challenge will help me get back in stroke.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Fargo doesn't track potting %, winning % etc... just game win/loss, it should be easy to rate the ghost. I have a feeling the ghost's speed is around the 660 range. I have played the ghost many, many long races over the years. When I play around a 700 level, race to 30 on tight 9ft, ghost is under 20 wins. A couple years ago I was down to 620's Fargo. The ghost was winning by nearly the same score (30-20 range). Thats what I'm basing the rating on.

Reactions: JC

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Fargo doesn't track potting %, winning % etc... just game win/loss, it should be easy to rate the ghost. I have a feeling the ghost's speed is around the 660 range. I have played the ghost many, many long races over the years. When I play around a 700 level, race to 30 on tight 9ft, ghost is under 20 wins. A couple years ago I was down to 620's Fargo. The ghost was winning by nearly the same score (30-20 range). Thats what I'm basing the rating on.

What caused your rating to drop so much?

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What caused your rating to drop so much?

I took 5 years off from pool. When I started again, it was straight to tournaments and no practice. I'm back to 640's but playing, I feel, closer to 700 range at moment. Fargo seems to drop rating much quicker than gain. Great for me cause I can sandbag a Fargo event at the moment.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Count on it.

JC

I think her Fargo rating is lagging her actual speed, as she is young and rapidly improving. I'd say a player who has plateaued for several years and is stuck at 700 would lose in the long run on a 9' Pro Cut diamond.

Locally, 15 or so years ago when Josh Brothers was committed to pool and the best player in all of Philly, we bet against him on a double shimmed 9' GC. He lost. I think Fargo shows him about 730 last time I checked a while back, but I don't believe it was established.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
And she did it without ball in hand.

JC

Tkach is amazing. I wonder if her coach is the coach of the "The Billiard Boys" from Russia. Same coach for our Mosconi team.

JC

Coos Cues
I think her Fargo rating is lagging her actual speed, as she is young and rapidly improving. I'd say a player who has plateaued for several years and is stuck at 700 would lose in the long run on a 9' Pro Cut diamond.

Locally, 15 or so years ago when Josh Brothers was committed to pool and the best player in all of Philly, we bet against him on a double shimmed 9' GC. He lost. I think Fargo shows him about 730 last time I checked a while back, but I don't believe it was established.

Well it sounds like we have the potential for action here.:)

JC

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tkach is amazing. I wonder if her coach is the coach of the "The Billiard Boys" from Russia. Same coach for our Mosconi team.

Well she stays with the Roy's basement crew. None stop playing with all the world class Phillipine players can't hurt. Probably how she got so good at the 10b break.

Tkach was the world's junior 9ball champ.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
That’s true, which is why I said “feel”. Much like playing blackjack. You have good runs and bad runs.

Say I beat the ghost 7-4 in a race to 7. Next set ghost beats me 2-7. We are .5 in sets but not .5 in games. Still I “feel” like I played even. After all, I have a strong opinion of my game.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I have never seen a math problem with a line for "feelings" must be that common core stuff.
Jason