How would you handle this?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player 2 loses. He forfeited the game by moving the one after his scratch.
His inning was over after the scratch, Player 1 had the table, BIH.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so two guys were gambling at the local pool hall last night. They know each other well and gamble often. Player 1 is obviously the better player and is winning easily. Fast forward to the final set. Player 1 is now giving player 2 a considerable amount of weight and it goes hill-hill. Player 2 scratches on the break and the 1-9 combo is lined up pretty nicely. On his way to his seat, player 2 intentionally moves the one ball against the rail, making the combo impossible to even attempt. He says “There’s no rule stating that I cannot do this and it’s just ball in hand.” After some words Player 1 just takes ball in hand and ends up winning the set. This one just rubbed me the wrong way and wanted to hear how some of you would have dealt with something like this. Thanks!

They know each other well and gamble often. Player 1 is obviously the better player and is winning easily.

If I'm player 1 I don't complain because player 2 appears to be a steady paycheck. I doubt player 2 would have done that unless he knew player 1 pretty well because it could lead to trouble therefore if I was a third party I would stay out of it.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy is a fish. He was just letting off steam because even he knows he can't we in.

You think people would ask for more weight. I'm playing anybody with a proper spot.

A lot of people in pool don't know how to behave. If you gamble you will see it all. You have to know your limit for nonsense and take a stand when you've reached it. As the better player you will always have the advantage. Any moves they pull are a good sign of weakness.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I'd say Player 1 has the nuts and is willing to put up with this BS apparently.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This

Player 1 has the option of leaving the ball or moving it back where it was … no??

This is how we always played it in local Tournaments. Someone moves an object ball the opposing player can move it back or leave it where it is.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
intentional foul

In any real match this is loss of game.

As a third party it's not your fight.

If I was playing with a guy so unsophisticated he doesn't understand this is unacceptable it would depend on the arena. In a tournament I'd get the tournament director. If I was playing for any amount of money that was 'friendly' ($50 or less) I'd probably either play it out as is or just forfeit the set, and then never play them again either way. It's not worth it.

For example, I was playing a guy $10 sets for practice one time and I was up 9 sets or something. He pulled a major move like that and I just told him I would forfeit the last set and take $80 but we were done playing. Of course he stiffed me out of the $80 then. Fine. I haven't dealt with him since and he isn't welcome in the pool rooms I go.

Bottom line, there's right and wrong, and then there's a time and a place to pick a fight. People like that just need to be cut out of your life. Unless they're both really low level players and just don't understand you can't make up rules and move balls with your hands.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Player 1: "So Player 2, let me ask you something. Is your dental insurance premiums up to date?"

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I was a tournament director to intentionally disturb the balls was a concession of that came.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so two guys were gambling at the local pool hall last night. They know each other well and gamble often. Player 1 is obviously the better player and is winning easily. Fast forward to the final set. Player 1 is now giving player 2 a considerable amount of weight and it goes hill-hill. Player 2 scratches on the break and the 1-9 combo is lined up pretty nicely. On his way to his seat, player 2 intentionally moves the one ball against the rail, making the combo impossible to even attempt. He says “There’s no rule stating that I cannot do this and it’s just ball in hand.” After some words Player 1 just takes ball in hand and ends up winning the set. This one just rubbed me the wrong way and wanted to hear how some of you would have dealt with something like this. Thanks!
This one is as simple as it gets - Not allowed - unsportsmanlike - immediate loss of game - no discussion. It is however, between them, and no one else need get involved.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sneak outside and let the air out of a few of his tires!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would consider it a concession and take the money. but it does connect to a similar question some guy asked me, how fouly can an intentional foul be? my response was that it's limited to the cue striking the cue ball

It is limited by how big and mean your opponent is.

If you are willing to not only lose your money, but get an ass-whipping as well, go ahead Punk and make somebody's day.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of your business was the correct answer But, if someone did that to me , if I was just robbing them anyway, I would make a joke of it , if it was a close game for serious money , he forfeited the game when he picked the ball up.
If he didn't like it ,I would stuff him in a wood chipper, and ask him if he was sure, that was how he wanted to play it.
Sometimes you have to let idiots know you are the serious type.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite what people are saying, situations like this affect the ownership and every patron of the room.

Player 2 should be suspended from the room. If he continues this type of behavior after being allowed back, he should be banned.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure there is .. player 1 gets to the Move the ball back if it’s considered and accidental moving and then player 2 gets his ass kicked and if I’m the owner told to never come back.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like it is none of your business, as uninvolved player 3, no?

If your ok with people pulling that shit on people you should be thrown out to. I’m ready for gambling to completely disappear from pool so the game can may be become more then just a low life hustler image.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In poker we call it "tapping the fish bowl". Or more specially DON'T tap the fish bowl. If you gotta put up with a little shenanigans to keep the action flowing, then you do.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
If your ok with people pulling that shit on people you should be thrown out to. I’m ready for gambling to completely disappear from pool so the game can may be become more then just a low life hustler image.

Lmao, you really think ending pool gambling would do that? That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

He didn't "pull" anything. If it had been a serious game that'd be different, but obviously since a fight or argument didn't play out, player 1 didn't give a rat's ass.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is called 'keeping a customer'. If that's what he needs to cross the finish line and get it out of his pocket, sometimes that's the cost of playing with suckers.