How would you handle this?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so two guys were gambling at the local pool hall last night. They know each other well and gamble often. Player 1 is obviously the better player and is winning easily. Fast forward to the final set. Player 1 is now giving player 2 a considerable amount of weight and it goes hill-hill. Player 2 scratches on the break and the 1-9 combo is lined up pretty nicely. On his way to his seat, player 2 intentionally moves the one ball against the rail, making the combo impossible to even attempt. He says “There’s no rule stating that I cannot do this and it’s just ball in hand.” After some words Player 1 just takes ball in hand and ends up winning the set. This one just rubbed me the wrong way and wanted to hear how some of you would have dealt with something like this. Thanks!

Generally speaking, when a player moves a ball, the other guy gets to put it back where he thinks it was.

I have had many an opponent put it back where it strongly favored them v the neighborhood where it actually was and there's nothing I can do about it because I moved the damned ball in the first place. So if I'm Player 1, I'm putting it back right up again the nine for an unmissable combo.

Game over.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite what people are saying, situations like this affect the ownership and every patron of the room.

Player 2 should be suspended from the room. If he continues this type of behavior after being allowed back, he should be banned.

in a tournament maybe, but if a "friendly" game between friends, they can play however they want. they can play the whole game with their bare hands if they want (as long as they are not damaging the equipment)

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On his way to his seat, player 2 intentionally moves the one ball against the rail, making the combo impossible to even attempt. He says “There’s no rule stating that I cannot do this and it’s just ball in hand.” After some words Player 1 just takes ball in hand and ends up winning the set. This one just rubbed me the wrong way and wanted to hear how some of you would have dealt with something like this. Thanks!

I assume you're asking how should player 2 have dealt with this :p:p

He lost the set, so obviously he didn't move the 1 ball to the right location, should have used his hand and frozen the 1 ball to another ball :thumbup:

sarcasm off

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Ok, so two guys were gambling at the local pool hall last night. They know each other well and gamble often. Player 1 is obviously the better player and is winning easily. Fast forward to the final set. Player 1 is now giving player 2 a considerable amount of weight and it goes hill-hill. Player 2 scratches on the break and the 1-9 combo is lined up pretty nicely. On his way to his seat, player 2 intentionally moves the one ball against the rail, making the combo impossible to even attempt. He says “There’s no rule stating that I cannot do this and it’s just ball in hand.” After some words Player 1 just takes ball in hand and ends up winning the set. This one just rubbed me the wrong way and wanted to hear how some of you would have dealt with something like this. Thanks!

Well I'd probably of argued a bit, shown him the rule on moving balls, and moved on about life. If I was consistently taking his money I might ignore it.

If I was fed up, I'd just quit playing him.