help Identify this lathe

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked this lathe up today at an auction and can't find any markings on it.
Can someone tell me from my horrible pics what it is?

Thanks

Attachments

• lathe1.jpg
    lathe1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 951
  • lathe2.jpg
    lathe2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 952
  • lathe3.jpg
    lathe3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 934

nineballer6977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lathe identity

Looks to me like it is a homemade machine, I've been a toolmaker for 20 + years and that doesn't look like a production made machine

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
It may not be totally homemade but I don't think you'll find parts for it.
The only thing I recognize is the Sherline drive but that's certainly not a Sherline lathe.
For that matter, without a tool-post, what you have is a spinner.
It could be setup to do shaft cleanings, possibly T/Ds if you can figure a way to cut the ferrule.
Mount a foot-control and you could do linen wraps, leather and cork also of course.
Prep-sanding and finish work could be done also.
You've got under a grand in it right? Lol

KJ

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may not be totally homemade but I don't think you'll find parts for it.
The only thing I recognize is the Sherline drive but that's certainly not a Sherline lathe.
For that matter, without a tool-post, what you have is a spinner.
It could be setup to do shaft cleanings, possibly T/Ds if you can figure a way to cut the ferrule.
Mount a foot-control and you could do linen wraps, leather and cork also of course.
Prep-sanding and finish work could be done also.
You've got under a grand in it right? Lol

KJ

it does have a cutter on the post on the end of the lathe. I will try and post a pic of it.
Oh yes well under a grand.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is a porper 1st model Q-lathe they work great for quick tip installs
have one use still in the shop today only thing ive had to do is bought timken bearings parts are get harder to get and now porper haveing all call go to mueller the last time i need a collet here is the link

http://www.muellers.com/Small-Adjustable-Collet,937.html

video on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45OTBp13xY

Thank you that's definitely the one. Wish I had gotten some of the accessories with it but for what I paid its all good.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is an early Porper lathe. It is not as early as the A Model, but came shortly after. Porper later abandoned that collet system and introduced the lathe they make with the wood box to replace that one.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump this up to the top.

Finally become honest with myself that I will never do anything with this.

So is there any interest in buying this lathe?

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Bump this up to the top.

Finally become honest with myself that I will never do anything with this.

So is there any interest in buying this lathe?

I do have an interest in it. How much and where are you located. Is the extention bar removable? I would assume it is but have to ask.

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I had my trailer with a Mid America pro lathe in it, I used to have one of these that I would take onsite when I did tables at bars, clubs, diners and what not. Made for a fantastic additional service on top of servicing the pool table. I would Charge $15 to re-tip a house cue, or would give them a bulk price to re-tip multiples. Worked really well for that simple task and honestly paid for itself in probably the first 6 months I owned it.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I had my trailer with a Mid America pro lathe in it, I used to have one of these that I would take onsite when I did tables at bars, clubs, diners and what not. Made for a fantastic additional service on top of servicing the pool table. I would Charge $15 to re-tip a house cue, or would give them a bulk price to re-tip multiples. Worked really well for that simple task and honestly paid for itself in probably the first 6 months I owned it.

Thanks for your input on this lathe. I wish I had more time to play around with it but I have too much going on.

I'm in Tampa right now and the lathe is in CT so I can close any deal just yet.
My plan is to swing home before the expo and grab the lathe and bring it with me. Hopefully some of the people that showed interest will be coming to the expo also and can pick it up there.