Gold Crown Barn Find

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I get rid of the seam between the outside pedestal caps and the leg panels.

I like the seam!

fastone371 left the ends of the legs in wood grain and painted the center section with white.
He also painted the spanner section white, but I think it would have looked better with the wood grain on the spanner.

Attachments

• A0D060AA-E800-4F8B-B918-E7062DD10869.jpeg
    A0D060AA-E800-4F8B-B918-E7062DD10869.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As to fish eyes, the actual cause is left over silicone and or waxes on the finish to be painted. Very hard to get all traces off with a simple sanding and wipe down before first coat of paint, only takes a trace. They do make special solvents to use with the wipe down before your first paint coat, or they also make an additive that you can add to your paint before spraying, that will help reduce the surface tension. If you already have it, yes then the correct step would be to sand it back somewhat and respray. And 400 grit would be nice, but depending on the depth, you may need to start with 320, and finish with 400. If it is orange peel, and not fish eye, thats something totally different, and usally caused by a misadjustment of your spray gun, as it relates to the amount of air to the thickness of the paint.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As to fish eyes, the actual cause is left over silicone and or waxes on the finish to be painted. Very hard to get all traces off with a simple sanding and wipe down before first coat of paint, only takes a trace. They do make special solvents to use with the wipe down before your first paint coat, or they also make an additive that you can add to your paint before spraying, that will help reduce the surface tension. If you already have it, yes then the correct step would be to sand it back somewhat and respray. And 400 grit would be nice, but depending on the depth, you may need to start with 320, and finish with 400. If it is orange peel, and not fish eye, thats something totally different, and usally caused by a misadjustment of your spray gun, as it relates to the amount of air to the thickness of the paint.

The strange thing is I painted the pedestals, runner, ball box and skirts using the same prep: vacuum, damp cloth followed by a tack cloth. Zero fish eyes on any of those pieces. Weird.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second coat laid down without incident. I spot sanded the fisheyes by hand with 400 then hit the entirety of the panels with 320 using my orbital sander. It came out nice; no sanding marks or fish eyes. I'll scuff and shoot coat 3 in the morning.

48666253537_e720c90ee3_h.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Second coat laid down without incident. I spot sanded the fisheyes by hand with 400 then hit the entirety of the panels with 320 using my orbital sander. It came out nice; no sanding marks or fish eyes. I'll scuff and shoot coat 3 in the morning.

48666253537_e720c90ee3_h.jpg

Lookin AWESOME BROTHER!!! Can't wait to see your finished project!

Trent from Toledo

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That looks really Good! (like the Great White by the way)

I thought you were going to do the table completely in white with silver pocket dress caps.
(great white shark theme).

and then I saw the blue skirts and panels.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought you were going to do the table completely in white with silver pocket dress caps.
(great white shark theme).

and then I saw the blue skirts and panels.

Nope! I need some color. The Brunswick Blue and Brunswick Tangerine scream '60's. Love them both but I like Brunswick Blue a little more.

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking really good Scott. Glad this coat came thru without incident!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking really good Scott. Glad this coat came thru without incident!

Well, I spoke too soon. Some very faint fish eyeing occurred while drying. I think I've narrowed it down to thinning the paint a little too much Planning to scuff and shoot the third coat Weds or Thurs morning with a little thicker paint mixture.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott....Use an HVLP gun and do you have an oil trap in your pressure line? Why not check in with a body shop supplier for fish eye reducer for your paint too? Might help. Sanding the existing fish eyes is important because the contaminent causing the problem is trapped in the finish and will work into the next coat. If it's not oil it's usually silicone probably from a cleaning rag used long ago. Good luck...love the look!! Mitch

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott....Use an HVLP gun and do you have an oil trap in your pressure line? Why not check in with a body shop supplier for fish eye reducer for your paint too? Might help. Sanding the existing fish eyes is important because the contaminent causing the problem is trapped in the finish and will work into the next coat. If it's not oil it's usually silicone probably from a cleaning rag used long ago. Good luck...love the look!! Mitch

Thanks, Mitch! Much appreciated.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's Experience

Greenies Sent

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, good idea using the carpet squares. Easy to replace when stains appear. I'm thinking about using them next time I re-carpet my poolroom.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, good idea using the carpet squares. Easy to replace when stains appear. I'm thinking about using them next time I re-carpet my poolroom.

Thanks, Jerry. I like the look, cost was relatively inexpensive ($250 and my time to install), and to your point, easy to replace if soiled. Prior to the carpet, we were playing on the concrete floor which does a number on balls jumped off the table not to mention your feet and back. The carpet has made it a much more enjoyable environment to play.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I agree 100%, There's a big difference between latex paint and oil based paint when painting over a wood surface.

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
Watching closely Scott

First , want to say Hello to my buddy Baby Huey. Like to play you some of that One Pocket , HaHa , let you off the hook last time . Scott that blue is really nice. I see the problem your having with the fish eyes . Well , I think I'm going to have my brother- in law do the painting for me , seeing he does that for a living ( last 30 years ). As you know , I'm sanding all my wood components all the way down to the bear wood . As per our conversation via text , My skirts are tangerine underneath the white paint like your friends . I'm just not sure which way I'm going as far as color is concerned. Thanks again for helping me out .
Frank

Last edited:

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would love to see the finished product and make an offer. Unless you are determined to kkeep the table then good luck with it and once again looking good.

Bill Incardona