The "why" of the success of CTE and the coaching of Stan Shuffett

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The misunderstood pivot in CTE aiming

Stan Shuffett today says............

"Yes, CTE is a pivoting system, but the pivot is very, very misunderstood.
I can shoot 1,000 shots using CTE in slo-mo and never exhibit even one hint of anything that resembles a pivoting of my cue.
Some of the CTE critics are delusional if they think that CTE practitioners can be tagged or not tagged as such by what can be observed about how one uses their cue during alignment.
A cue is nothing more than an extension of one’s hand that is used for aligning to what the eyes see.
CTE is a visual task that occurs independently of the cueing instrument."

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
And the fact remains, Jose didn't have to use english but did anyway. And lining up with right english and shooting with left, guess what, the cue has to pivot.

Stan Shuffett today says............

"...Some of the CTE critics are delusional if they think that CTE practitioners can be tagged or not tagged as such by what can be observed about how one uses their cue during alignment."
lol

pj
chgo

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The profundity is there....believe and receive

The critics will someday be FORCED into accepting this.....or lose to everyone they play. It cannot be stopped....no matter how hard the critics try.

"CTE is a visual task that occurs independently of the cueing instrument."

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The critics will someday be FORCED into accepting this.....or lose to everyone they play. It cannot be stopped....no matter how hard the critics try.

"CTE is a visual task that occurs independently of the cueing instrument."

May I ask what speed you play? I assure you I am not being smart and you certainly don't have to answer, but I am genuinely curious. I myself am a solid C player I would imagine... SL-5 in APA 8 ball, have a few break and runs a month during my matches, position play and pattern play leave a lot to be desired. Like many, cue ball control (not ball pocketing), is my biggest weakness.

I lost last night to an SL7. I didn't miss a single ball that I had a realistic chance of making. The few balls I did miss were the result of hooking myself from over running position by a few inches, or by getting a little out of line on successive shots until I eventually could not recover. They guy I was playing missed one makeable shot all night. I lost 6 games to 3 (9 games) and the entire match was I think under 20 innings.

Just curious on your thoughts on how much benefit CTE would be to a guy like me, who doesn't really struggle pocketing balls, but has a big issue seeing where whitey will go and being able to put it where I want it consistently. Thanks in advance.

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May I ask what speed you play? I assure you I am not being smart and you certainly don't have to answer, but I am genuinely curious. I myself am a solid C player I would imagine... SL-5 in APA 8 ball, have a few break and runs a month during my matches, position play and pattern play leave a lot to be desired. Like many, cue ball control (not ball pocketing), is my biggest weakness.

I lost last night to an SL7. I didn't miss a single ball that I had a realistic chance of making. The few balls I did miss were the result of hooking myself from over running position by a few inches, or by getting a little out of line on successive shots until I eventually could not recover. They guy I was playing missed one makeable shot all night. I lost 6 games to 3 (9 games) and the entire match was I think under 20 innings.

Just curious on your thoughts on how much benefit CTE would be to a guy like me, who doesn't really struggle pocketing balls, but has a big issue seeing where whitey will go and being able to put it where I want it consistently. Thanks in advance.
I will wiegh in. The advantage of a solid system like cte or similar is your confidence goes up because once the system is learned, consistancy goes up. Thus you are not focusing so much on pocketing the ball but shift to what you want to do with the cueball. The stroke also improves because you can let the cue go knowing the ball is going in. This unleashes more possibilities of position play.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I will wiegh in. The advantage of a solid system like cte or similar is your confidence goes up because once the system is learned, consistancy goes up. Thus you are not focusing so much on pocketing the ball but shift to what you want to do with the cueball. The stroke also improves because you can let the cue go knowing the ball is going in. This unleashes more possibilities of position play.

How do you know where the cue ball is going if you don't visualize the ghost ball or the tangent line ?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you know where the cue ball is going if you don't visualize the ghost ball or the tangent line ?

A reasonable question, considering that with some pivot systems it has been said that you don't look straight over your cue/stroke line because your vision is not aligned directly behind the cb. But I would guess after you get your final shot line you would have to pay attention to exactly where the cb is headed so you'll know what you need to do in order to maneuver the it from the current shot to the next shot. Aiming is only part of the process of playing pool, so CTE users would simply have to do what everyone else does -- use other visual methods to determine what to do with the cb, and then tweak your aim (based on experience) in order to compensate for any english applied.

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its natural to see the tangent line before you even begin your preshot routine. Thats done as part of shot selection. Knowing and seeing the different shots for position play. Most everyone starts out playing gb. So should be natural. Once thats determined i get my perception for the shot then bend over and execute.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its natural to see the tangent line before you even begin your preshot routine. Thats done as part of shot selection. Knowing and seeing the different shots for position play. Most everyone starts out playing gb. So should be natural. Once thats determined i get my perception for the shot then bend over and execute.

Where and when do you work in the pivot? Do you pivot to the spot on the CB where you will "impart" the necessary jazz on the CB to get your desired poz?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member

If you see the tangent line standing up, then all you need to do is go down on the center of the cue ball.
You will be dead on if your tangent line is correct.
Why then complicate the whole process ?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you see the tangent line standing up, then all you need to do is go down on the center of the cue ball.

"So oft express'd, but ne'er so well."

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If that worked for me I would be doing it. Im tall so having more visuals ensures my perception is accurate. Im not a cte only guy. I think of your game is excelling then stick to what works for you. A great player i know said he sees the path the cue ball is taking. That's what cte helps me with. It could also be that if your vision is not great then cte or similar systems help find the shot line.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
If that worked for me I would be doing it. Im tall so having more visuals ensures my perception is accurate. Im not a cte only guy. I think of your game is excelling then stick to what works for you. A great player i know said he sees the path the cue ball is taking. That's what cte helps me with. It could also be that if your vision is not great then cte or similar systems help find the shot line.

If your eyes are bad, I have no idea how you can aim the side or center of the cue ball to ABC in the OB then pivot.

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your eyes are bad, I have no idea how you can aim the side or center of the cue ball to ABC in the OB then pivot.
My eyes are not bad but not perfect either. But ccb to edge of ob and cb edge to ab or c is easier to get right for me. I dont conciously aim directly at a b or c. But I do seem to be able to play good with different systems. But i still say go with whatever works for a person. I say put your money wher your mouth is and less arguing. Thats what great players do. Are you in the fargo rate sys.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Then your eyes are better than mine because there is no way for me to see the edge of cb to any point in the ob accurately.