duty shipping from us to canada

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much have you had to pay in duty/import tax blah blah shipping from USA to Canada?

I recently had a cue shipped here from the states, i got the seller to put the item value as 100$ gift, and its been in customs for 4 days now, I'm kind of annoyed and I'm hoping customs isn't going to charge me an arm and a leg for duty if they research how much the cue is actually worth, lol.

so what has your experience been from shipping US to Can????

hejests

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It largely depends how its being shipped. Often, its the brokerage fees that really get you, not so much the duty. UPS for example has crazy high brokerage fees. I always try to get folks to ship via USPS Express because that comes through Canada Post and their brokerage fees are the most reasonable.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It largely depends how its being shipped. Often, its the brokerage fees that really get you, not so much the duty. UPS for example has crazy high brokerage fees. I always try to get folks to ship via USPS Express because that comes through Canada Post and their brokerage fees are the most reasonable.
yes its getting shipped USPS priority

champ2107

Banned
i have had two cues and a shaft sent to me from the states for a total of three different times and never had to pay duty or taxes

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have had two cues and a shaft sent to me from the states for a total of three different times and never had to pay duty or taxes

what was the value listed as? was it shipped through usps? they didnt charge you import tax or anything?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that sporting goods were exempt.

I usually get charged a $15 customs handling fee plus GST on the amount stated.

I won't allow items shipped UPS as they add their own customs handling fee on top of what you have to pay. In other words, its their own little scam money grab as far as I can see.

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had much of a problem getting stuff with USPS. Sometimes you get charged GST and other times you don't, sometimes things fly through customs and other times in takes a week. I've ordered $200+ of stuff from seyberts multiple times and never had to pay any taxes or duty.

Now i never want anything sent cross border by a delivery service like UPS, FedEx or all the others if it can be avoided because they'll charge you a hand and a leg in brokerage fees and all kinds of added crap charges. I've even gone so far as to not order from places that wouldnt ship with USPS.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had much of a problem getting stuff with USPS. Sometimes you get charged GST and other times you don't, sometimes things fly through customs and other times in takes a week. I've ordered $200+ of stuff from seyberts multiple times and never had to pay any taxes or duty.

Now i never want anything sent cross border by a delivery service like UPS, FedEx or all the others if it can be avoided because they'll charge you a hand and a leg in brokerage fees and all kinds of added crap charges. I've even gone so far as to not order from places that wouldnt ship with USPS.

gst? dont you mean hst? we havent had GST for years haha

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPS bends you over, with no grease I might add, and ****s you raw!!
I bought something on ebay a few years ago and the value was $200, when I got it freaking UPS charged me $115 !!!! lol I all most shit my self. Another time I bought a cell phone which I asked the seller to ship via usps/canada post, any how he shipped it threw UPS and said he put the value at $150 usd. At first I was pissed off because I knew I was gonna get prison raped on the "brokerage" charges but came up with an idea, I had like $0.30 on my prepaid visa that I use to buy stuff on-line with, so UPS comes to my door and the delivery guy told me the charge $65 !!! and even he was shocked lol, so I said not too worry and gave him my pre paid visa LOL, He took down the number and all was good ;)

champ2107

Banned
what was the value listed as? was it shipped through usps? they didnt charge you import tax or anything?

last thing i got was a mike gulyussy anvil and he listed the value of it at $100 and it says united states postal service on it and also canada post. I just looked at the box and receipt in the garage.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last thing i got was a mike gulyussy anvil and he listed the value of it at $100 and it says united states postal service on it and also canada post. I just looked at the box and receipt in the garage.
how long did it take to go through customs?

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends how busy they are and when they get to your package. I'd expect you'll get it next week at the latest.

Does it have any ivory in it? That could be a problem.

nope no ivory. i talked to a lady at customs yesterday and she said they were just getting to my parcel yesterday and she wouldnt know how long it would take. grrrr

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nope no ivory. i talked to a lady at customs yesterday and she said they were just getting to my parcel yesterday and she wouldnt know how long it would take. grrrr

You'll probably have a nice weekend with a new cue in your hands.

Waiting for something your excited about getting always seems like an eternity...lol

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll probably have a nice weekend with a new cue in your hands.

Waiting for something your excited about getting always seems like an eternity...lol

yeah I hope so. ive heard horror stories about canadian customs holding things for months:banghead::banghead::banghead:

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
doodie on cues

duty is 5% gst plus a handling fee.
you can avoid doodie if your seller ships it as gift, valued under 300cdn
brokerage fees suck. that's why i ship using USPS. plus USPS pkgs have a better chance of going through customs without being held up.

fedex and UPS make money off of people shipping internationally, that's why they have their own brokerage departments. using UPS or FEDEX you're guaranteed to be charged duty and brokerage, it's a huge cash grab for them.

as an option, albeit a more expensive one, if you need something shipped fast. ship UPS Expedited, you'll be paying more, but the good news is you'll send/receive the shipment quicker, and the brokerage fees (not customs fees though), will be waived. hence you're paying for the faster ship time, and getting the brokerage waived to boot.

i found this out after paying duty plus 50 bucks in brokerage when receiving a cue, plus it took two weeks to get to me. the UPS guy said if i would have paid an extra 40 for shipping, i would have saved 50 bucks not having to pay brokerage, plus it would have gotten to me faster. i asked him why UPS doesn't advertise the waived brokerage fee with expedited shipping, he said "probably so they make more money on people not knowing" :mad:

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I worked for Canada Post.....believe me, it all depends on if the person that is working that day. If they feel like dinging you for a fee they do, if not consider yourself lucky. I have saw items you figure are going to get a customs fee and don't have one at all. I couldn't give you exact figure, its just the way they operate.

USPS to Canada Post has the lowest customs fees....Fed Ex and UPS are friggen expensive

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything coming through a delivery service is going to get loaded up with both taxes and brokerage fees. Deal with UPS once and you will never again buy anything from a retailer using that #@&* service. :D

I will only order when delivery is by US Postal Service. If you get dinged, you only pay the taxes plus $5.00.

I've had lots of stuff sail through - no charges - including a snooker cue and aluminum case from the UK.
Never had stuff held up in customs.