Action

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now for my last night story

Marty Herman from Boston came to my room for one night after Gary left for home. He is the coach, confidant and mentor for Mika and Ralf. I call him the "Pool Guru".

Mika came over from his room next door and visited with us old guys (Jay H. Marty H. and George Michaels from San Fran.). We showed him some things we do to stay in shape and he showed us a few of his exercises. Mika is an extraordinary athlete and a superb physical specimen. No wonder he, Thorsten and Niels all are doing well. They are in great shape!

After a time, we went down to the bar, and Mika got me plastered on fine Merlot. I am not a drinker, so three glasses later I'm as high as a kite. Timberly comes over to say bye and she is such a lovely person. Pretty healthy herself, lol.

Jimmy Mataya is making the rounds with an amazing disappearing coin trick. No one has a clue how he does it. Mercifully the bar closesd at 4 AM. I wander next door to the action room, and lo and behold Jeanette is in a game. I'm a quiet drunk and stand off to the side. J. Lee spots me and walks over and says Hi Jay. I mumble something incoherent and she goes back to shooting Banks.

She is playing some guy $200 a game short rack banks. He wins the game on the hill and looks around and asks if anyone wants a bet. My brain engages my mouth and I say how much are you playing for? He says 200 a game. I tell him I want the same bet thinking he will turn me down. He looks me up and down and says "You got it". Uh oh.

I sit down next to Jeanette's main squeeze (and husband) George B. and sweat the game. Being drunk as I am, I begin to coach Jeanette out loud, when to play safe and when to shoot. Can't understand why player B is not happy with me, but I shut up anyway. George is amused.

Jeanette plays great because she knows I am on my case money. NOT! I have over 5K in my pocket. But she does play good and wins the next three games. The guy asks her to change the game to 6-5. George and I protest this loudly. It looks like the game is over and I need to go to the airport in a few hours. I get up to go to bed and the guy says to me "Where are you going?" I tell him I'm done and so are you. He looks confused.

I exit stage left, barely able to walk a straight line, but with a $600 bulge where there wasn't one before. That much I'm sure of. Good night and good bye to Derby City.

Thanks Black Widow and Jason Kirkwood for making my stay a little less expensive. Earlier in the week Jason took on the notorious Ignacio Chavez in Ten Ball. I managed to get a $500 side bet on the game. After eight tough hours Jason took down the cash. I was asleep on the sidelines and woke up to see Jason smiling and putting his cue away. I knew all was good.

I made a few other side bets and never played a game myself for money (that's a first). I actually got someone to bet me on the first set Cliff played with Efren in the One Pocket Finals. He had to beat Efren twice, and someone thought he might win the first set. So I laid him 3-2 (150 to 100). Efren won 3-1. Also in the 9-Ball Finals, I bet with Billy the first set. I took Luat and won a 100. I asked Billy if he wanted to bet set two, and he declined, so I saved 100 there.

Tom Kenwirthy beat me out of $50 bucks when he bet Luat over Rafael. Nice going Tom.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I was a bit under the weather during my stay at the DCC so I didnt get out of the room during tournament hours. I would have liked to side bet the tournament matches. This year, more than in previous years, I found it very difficult to bet on the rail for the gambling matches because you couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't. Unless you are doing the playing yourself or traveling with a close friend that is playing, I just wouldn't be comfortable betting any amount of cash.

I did try to bet 5 bills on Corey in the 10 ball match with Rafael & was glad that I couldn't get a bet. That match was definitely legit and I had no qualms about putting my money up but with Rafael winning I felt like I saved money. Jay, how many people in the building could do that jump shot on the two ball down the rail, with force follow to play shape back up the table that Rafael made?? Too bad he dogged an easy 7 ball in the same rack.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Mystick Cue Fan said:
With all these pool players I don't think any bandits short of 20 would make out with the cash. I don't think they would make it out alive.....:p

The airlines say that a pool stick is a bludgeon instrument and you cannot carry it on board the aircraft.

I wonder what kind of jelly I would get for recovering 15K with my Bender cue? I'd probably just borrow the nearest sneakey pete. :)

The light of the Derby City Classic, I and Fred A. were discussing how many seconds it would take to run from the light to the exit door and it was approximately 8 seconds for Fred, anyway. I figure I might be able to shave a second off that time. Anyway, a thief would have to know that there would be a bunch of, "HEY, STOP THOSE GUYS! THEY JUST STOLE THE UP MONEY" with some yahoo trying to reign in the cash regardless of the thieves holding weapons. I think the airlines might be right as I imagine the loud WHACK that would occur to someone's head as it received a 25 mile per hour hit from the butt of a cue. Ouch.
JoeyA

jcrack_corn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
much more than 25 MPH...lol

Maybe fred or bob can enlighten us, but I would imagine that the but of a cue, swung from the stroking area of the shaft would be near 100+ MPH with a good windup.....can one of you science guys radar it for us?

A guy in new orleans got popped like that a few years back and spent several weeks in the hospital....recovered though.

JoeyA said:
The airlines say that a pool stick is a bludgeon instrument and you cannot carry it on board the aircraft.

I wonder what kind of jelly I would get for recovering 15K with my Bender cue? I'd probably just borrow the nearest sneakey pete. :)

The light of the Derby City Classic, I and Fred A. were discussing how many seconds it would take to run from the light to the exit door and it was approximately 8 seconds for Fred, anyway. I figure I might be able to shave a second off that time. Anyway, a thief would have to know that there would be a bunch of, "HEY, STOP THOSE GUYS! THEY JUST STOLE THE UP MONEY" with some yahoo trying to reign in the cash regardless of the thieves holding weapons. I think the airlines might be right as I imagine the loud WHACK that would occur to someone's head as it received a 25 mile per hour hit from the butt of a cue. Ouch.
JoeyA

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
I was a bit under the weather during my stay at the DCC so I didnt get out of the room during tournament hours. I would have liked to side bet the tournament matches. This year, more than in previous years, I found it very difficult to bet on the rail for the gambling matches because you couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't. Unless you are doing the playing yourself or traveling with a close friend that is playing, I just wouldn't be comfortable betting any amount of cash.

I did try to bet 5 bills on Corey in the 10 ball match with Rafael & was glad that I couldn't get a bet. That match was definitely legit and I had no qualms about putting my money up but with Rafael winning I felt like I saved money. Jay, how many people in the building could do that jump shot on the two ball down the rail, with force follow to play shape back up the table that Rafael made?? Too bad he dogged an easy 7 ball in the same rack.

One! And his name is Rafael.

sde

Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Thanks Black Widow and Jason Kirkwood for making my stay a little less expensive. Earlier in the week Jason took on the notorious Ignacio Chavez in Ten Ball. I managed to get a $500 side bet on the game. After eight tough hours Jason took down the cash. I was asleep on the sidelines and woke up to see Jason smiling and putting his cue away. I knew all was good.

I knew Jason would not see this so I mentioned it to him at league tonight. Jason replied, with a big grin on his face, "No problem, any time!" He also had some very nice things to say about you. Great guy, etc.

Steve