New pool movie "Heartbreak"

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want to give a heads up to the AZ community about a new pool movie that just came out on Amazon. It was produced by a local pool player, Wayne Catledge who has been around the pool scene here in Orlando for years. It was filmed at several pool halls here in Orlando, including Clicks North and the old Corner Pockets. I saw it a few months ago when it was playing at a theater in The Villages. I think it goes for about $3.99 on Amazon, and it is well worth the price, I really liked it. Heartbreak is the name of the movie.
Tom

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the trailer and at first, i thought...hmmm...naw but, i kept watching and it seems preety good.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck yeah, I'm watching that.

And if she wants to impress me she needs land that CB ON the quarter :)

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some reason, I believe that a pool movie, whether fiction or based somewhat on real people or events, can not be good set in present time.

I think it has to be based in the past. I think the 70's would be interesting (especially since we already kind of have the 60's and 80's covered by the Tevis movies).

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Thanks for the heads up! My recent Prime search came up with only two, and we know which ones those are. So I watched Jackie and Paul yet again. :thumbup:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dayyyyyyyummmmmmmmm!!! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
After reading the reviews on Amazon, I was not going to watch this:

"a charming family-friendly film that delivers the right message for our time"
"Inspirational movie about forgiveness, mentorship, and working hard"

Yawn. Great, let's coddle then hug. Oh look! Unicorns and rainbows!

How about TCOM2?

BUT then I watched the Trailer. Now I will watch it. It has at least 3 interesting subjects - BOOBS, BOOZE, BILLIARDS. That's more like it.

Those make me feel more at home! :D Unlike nurturing crap and singing kumbaya.

-von

paulempor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would of liked to see Jeannete Lee as the leading actress... Will watch and support for sure

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I think it has to be based in the past. I think the 70's would be interesting (especially since we already kind of have the 60's and 80's covered by the Tevis movies).
McGoorty. 1930s. The script has already been written and revised. Sadly the project was abandoned.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched it last night. Overall, it's an OK movie.

And spoiler alert so keep reading if you want.

The main story line is ok - girl comes to US to become #1 women's player in the world and she's directed to a former pool pro for coaching. That splits to she was married but her husband divorced her because their son has autism and he blamed it on her - in other words, she's got issues. The coach is a drunk, separated, his daughter is in jail and he blames himself. He's also ex-military and it's only him and a buddy (recovering alcoholic himself) left from Charlie Company. Frankly, I'm jealous of his living situation. Old pool hall with one or two tables left and he sleeps on the couch in the office.

The cinematography is decent for a low budget film. There aren't that many "extra's" in the movie and I don't know what the budget was but it could definitely be worse.

Opening is pretty good, sets a tone on who the main male character is. Once the girl got involved I almost stopped watching - seriously. She's a bit annoying and not a very good actress. She does improve towards the middle and continues to be OK throughout the rest of the movie.

Once he accepts her as a student it's OK, some things are cheesy and some are not. I did notice they don't ever show her arm when shooting, she must have a HORRIBLE stroke in real life. He also holds her back in the qualifiers and I'm not sure why, I understand he wants her to learn to lose but he was basically having her sandbag.

I remember around the 75% mark I was thinking - well this is getting boring (they start focusing on the side stories a bit much) but it did pick up again.

Before the last qualifier he gives her a Nitti cue, thought that was neat because let's face it, not many main streamers would know a Nitti cue and I'm glad he didn't give her a Meucci or a Balabushka, instead he gave her a modern day quality cue from a small batch cue maker.

In her last qualifier, and the last part of the movie, Ewa Mataya Laurance has a small part as her final opponent. Meh, she's ok, I've never been a huge fan of hers anyways and I think she's trying too much, especially when shooting. I guess if you've never seen her shoot you wouldn't know she's acting, but to me, she was acting. Her husband plays a small role as well as an announcer. It's OK, not great and not bad, just Mitch.

Honestly, the coach (Brett Rice), his wife (Karen LeBlanc - who is gorgeous by the way - https://karenleblanc.tv/) and their daughter (Piper Rae Patterson) did an excellent job. The coach had a couple of moments where his acting wasn't that great but the daughter nailed the part - IMHO.

Would I watch it again, yep, only this time I would start drinking first so I could get past the initial horrible acting of Jane Park Smith. I suppose she could've been acting in a way we wouldn't like her, kind of like Tony Soprano's mother in The Soprano's. I love that show but hate watching the ones with her because she's annoying as hell - but that's what she's trying to be so good for her.

I give it a 6 out of 10.

EDIT: And yeah, it should've been $3.99, probably even $2.99 - but I hate paying for movies online - given I'm already paying Amazon and Netflix.