Looking for a good 3/8-10 solid maple shaft

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 3/8-10 flat faced shaft that is know for not warping. I have two OB shafts and both warped - no more laminated shafts for me. I'm a serious player and have a few custom cues, a 1991 Bob Frey, old Joss and Abe Rich I got in 1965. I have been usng the original shafts that came with these cues and now I want a solid maple shaft with an 11.75mm to 12.25mm diameter tip that is considered LD. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
henrylr

Last edited:

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Any wood shaft, solid or laminate can warp. One of the reasons I like to look at the older cues is because if you find one that straight, likelihood is it will remain straight since it has for the past 20-30 years.

The carbon fibre shafts do not warp.

I would suggest asking in the "ask a cue maker" perhaps one of them is willing to make you a shaft from some older dowels. There would still be a chance of warping, but less of it.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 3/8-10 flat faced shaft that is know for not warping. I have two OB shafts and both warped - no more laminated shafts for me. I'm a serious player and have a few custom cues, a 1991 Bob Frey, old Joss and Abe Rich I got in 1965. I have been usng the original shafts that came with these cues and now I want a solid maple shaft with an 11.75mm to 12.25mm diameter tip that is considered LD. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
henrylr

Henry - repost in the wanted section

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

Thanks,
henrylr
If you don't wanna spend a lot try a Schmelke. David will make one about any way you want it. Softer hit get a Juma ferrule, firm go with Tomahawk.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are up in CT. talk to Preferred custom cues - he was up in Marlborough CT - Or also would recommend Troy Downey, who does cue work for Muellers Recreational products in Lincoln Nebraska - you can find both on the internet - I am old school but I only use straight grain maple shafts from quality cue makers. You want AGED shafts that have been cut a few times DURING the aging process - Kiln dried shafts may warp once they pick up moisture again, since that have not been cut a few times during a longer more natural aging process.

Last edited: