Stats -- Van Boening vs. Orcollo 10-Ball Race to 120, November 2019

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This is now a rule in the World Standardized Rules. I didn't like it at first but I think it fits with the idea of reducing the luck factor in 10 ball vs. 9 ball. It is interesting that two pretty good players chose this for a long match.

It’s also eliminating the skill factor of combos and caroms.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. People tend to over complicate things.

Call shot takes away the two-way shot, and as you said, no early 10-ball takes away the skill of combos and caroms.

Want to reduce the luck factor, while still keeping the skill?

Just make the game call shot on the 10 only.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And I think those shots are interesting to spectators, but if the break shot rolls the 2 over on the 10 by the pocket, the seated player is glad for the rule. It would be interesting to know whether both players wanted the rule or maybe one player was worried about his opponent's combo/carom skills.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
And I think those shots are interesting to spectators, but if the break shot rolls the 2 over on the 10 by the pocket, the seated player is glad for the rule. It would be interesting to know whether both players wanted the rule or maybe one player was worried about his opponent's combo/carom skills.

I think a set of rules should allow the game to be played at it’s highest level.
I don’t see anything wrong with possible multiple outcomes....like 3-cushion billiards.

I sense that some of these...in my mind..negative rules have grown out of fear, vanity,
and the hope that one’s opponent gets hit by a bus on their backstroke.

I like rules that cater to the player at the table...the player seated has no right to say anything...
...unless a rule is broken.

I exclude straight pool and banks from these conditions...they work best as call shots.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Call shot takes away the two-way shot, and as you said, no early 10-ball takes away the skill of combos and caroms. ...

WPA rules do not eliminate the most common form of 2-way shot, where you play to make a ball but leave your opponent safe if you miss. Under WPA rules, the option to return a shot happens only in the cases of (1) pocketing a ball on a called safety, (2) pocketing the called ball in a wrong pocket, or (3) pocketing a non-called ball when missing the called ball. There is no option to return the shot after a normal missed shot, so most 2-way shots are not eliminated.

A second type of two-way shot is where you try to make either or both of two balls. E.g., the 5-ball is the lowest-numbered ball on the table and you try to make either the 5-ball or the 10-ball (which might be hanging near a pocket). WPA rules require that you designate only one ball and one pocket, so they eliminate this type of two-way shot.

The rules do not do away with combos and caroms. You can use them to pocket any ball. And if you make one on an early 10-ball, you get to try it again later! :wink:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And just out of curiosity, is a stat ever kept for how often after a played safety the other player ends up making a legal ball?

By my notes, Orcollo made a ball on the next shot after about one-third of SVB's safeties, whereas SVB made a ball on the next shot after about one-sixth of Orcollo's safeties.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I found one stat very interesting. After over 200 games, not one ten ball was made on the break! So someone tell me again why the ten ball shouldn't count if made on the break. But the nine ball does count. :rolleyes:

You want me to bring up the 2013 Southern Classic Bigfoot event again?:wink:

The number of 10's on the break is greatly reduced with the use of a racking template; the 10-ball tends to stay (unfortunately, as I see it) within inches of where it starts.

And as to your comparison with 9-Ball, yeah, it shouldn't count there, either. :grin:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Enjoyed your statistics....This one tho....''Stuck Out''.

■ Van Boening broke 119 times -- successful 106 times

Yes, 89% successful breaks for SVB. And he made balls on 2 of his 3 fouled breaks, so he made at least one ball on 108 of his 119 breaks -- 91%. In his match with Shaw in August, they made one or more balls on 88% of their breaks. Here's what I wrote at that time.

At least one ball was made on 168 of these 192 breaks -- the 159 successful breaks plus all 9 fouled breaks That's 88%. And 55% of the games were run out by the player at the table after the break. For skilled breakers using a template, 10-Ball now suffers from the same problems that plagued 9-Ball -- "dead" balls on the break, repetitious layouts after the break, and limited interplay among the players.

A few years ago I suggested trying 10-Ball with the 10-ball on the spot. The Renfro experimented with it a bit and thought it might have some value for addressing those issues, but the subject seemed to get dropped. I'd like to see it tried in some pro event, perhaps a challenge match between good 10-Ball breakers (rather than in a big tournament), to see how it would fly.

Another possibility is to leave the 1-ball on the spot, but use a break box that moves the cue ball away from the center area of the table. Some of Appleton's 8-Ball events did that, and Van Boening played a 10-Ball challenge match with Chinakhov 4 years ago using side-rail break boxes.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
WPA rules do not eliminate the most common form of 2-way shot, where you play to make a ball but leave your opponent safe if you miss. Under WPA rules, the option to return a shot happens only in the cases of (1) pocketing a ball on a called safety, (2) pocketing the called ball in a wrong pocket, or (3) pocketing a non-called ball when missing the called ball. There is no option to return the shot after a normal missed shot, so most 2-way shots are not eliminated.

A second type of two-way shot is where you try to make either or both of two balls. E.g., the 5-ball is the lowest-numbered ball on the table and you try to make either the 5-ball or the 10-ball (which might be hanging near a pocket). WPA rules require that you designate only one ball and one pocket, so they eliminate this type of two-way shot.

The rules do not do away with combos and caroms. You can use them to pocket any ball. And if you make one on an early 10-ball, you get to try it again later! :wink:

There are way too many "rules" for Ten Ball that do not exist in 9-Ball. Ten Ball is inherently a more difficult game just by adding one ball and making the rack triangular and not diamond shaped. When players used to gamble at Ten Ball we used the exact same rules as 9-Ball and it worked out just fine. In my opinion that is still the best way to play Ten Ball, with Texas Express 9-Ball rules. Why bastardize a game that doesn't need it? I will guarantee you the best players will still be the ones winning the tournaments! And it will be far more exciting (and simpler to understand) for the audience as well.

Of course many of the "powers that be" will not agree with me and prefer to make every shot call shot, ten ball the last ball, alternate break, and on and on. IMO a bunch of guys who wouldn't bet two big dogs could lick one small one. :grin:

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
This stat is amazing.

Number of innings -- 58% (119 of 205) of the games ended in one inning. 76 games ended on the breaker's first inning

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised there were that many missed shots. It seems like when Shane was at 20, he had missed about 3 shots and the same for Dennis.

d8nk

Noah B
Love the stats!

I was curious what the score was and opened this post to find all the information I ever wanted and more! Thanks for sharing, very interesting, congrats to Shane for the win!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised there were that many missed shots. It seems like when Shane was at 20, he had missed about 3 shots and the same for Dennis.

When Shane won his 20th game, Dennis had 16. To that point, they both had missed about twice as often as you thought. Shane's miss rate was highest on Day 3.