Brunswick Centennial

Rubicon79

Great site here and thanks upfront for the advice.

I grew up playing pool since my dad owned a pool hall through my teenage years but quit playing years ago. After a 20 year hiatus I’ve taken back up playing and want my own table.

My dad has a Brunswick Centennial 8 foot he has owned for over 20 years and bought from the original owner. He has offered it to me for $2500 under the condition I don’t sell it. I’d like for the table to play well and have spoke to Mark Gregory about redoing the rails and setting the table up for me. I’m comparing the table to finding a used Diamond since that’s what all the places around me use.

Thoughts on redoing this table vs buying a used Diamond? I’ll have over 5k in this table moved, rails redone and new Simonis. I’m not overly concerned with looks but the Centennial is a classic however having a good playing table is more important than looks for me.

Thanks!

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

I grew up playing pool since my dad owned a pool hall through my teenage years but quit playing years ago. After a 20 year hiatus I’ve taken back up playing and want my own table.

My dad has a Brunswick Centennial 8 foot he has owned for over 20 years and bought from the original owner. He has offered it to me for $2500 under the condition I don’t sell it. I’d like for the table to play well and have spoke to Mark Gregory about redoing the rails and setting the table up for me. I’m comparing the table to finding a used Diamond since that’s what all the places around me use.

Thoughts on redoing this table vs buying a used Diamond? I’ll have over 5k in this table moved, rails redone and new Simonis. I’m not overly concerned with looks but the Centennial is a classic however having a good playing table is more important than looks for me.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. My vote is for the Centennial. Mark will make it play outstanding.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you given any consideration to the Centennial being an 8 ft. table? I know the nostalgic value of your Dad's table must be strong, but would it be more to your long term advantage to own a 9 ft. table? An early Gold Crown has roughly the identical structural design, and they are quite reasonable to buy.

Oh, by the way, I envy you the Centennial.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Thanks!

I would say keep that piece of Pool History in your family!!! The Centennial is IMO the pinnacle of pool tables. Jack Zimmerman does excellent work and has done rails for both the Centennial and Anniversary for me. He is one of the best out there and is a true gentleman.

If you are gonna go the Centennial route, go all in and get the metal polished, get some new pockets and refinish the legs and that beautiful Brazilian Rosewood on the rails. You will still be under what it would cost to buy one restored and at the end of the day preserving the table.

Trent from Toledo

Example of one of my restorations.

Attachments

• 01414_klPA6DzTzu6_1200x900.jpg
    01414_klPA6DzTzu6_1200x900.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 546

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say keep that piece of Pool History in your family!!! The Centennial is IMO the pinnacle of pool tables. Jack Zimmerman does excellent work and has done rails for both the Centennial and Anniversary for me. He is one of the best out there and is a true gentleman.

If you are gonna go the Centennial route, go all in and get the metal polished, get some new pockets and refinish the legs and that beautiful Brazilian Rosewood on the rails. You will still be under what it would cost to buy one restored and at the end of the day preserving the table.

Trent from Toledo

Example of one of my restorations.

That's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship right there. Gorgeous restoration!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The Centennial is a beautiful table, brought up to current specs should make it play similar to a Diamond. As far as it being an 8 foot table you mean an oversize 8 or Pro 8? A pro 8 is only 4" narrower and 8" shorter than a 9 foot table.

Rubicon79

It’s an 8 ft pro so it does kind of split the difference.

Would you use the artemis or the Brunswick super speed cushions?

As a bonus he did agree to throw in the Brunswick Centennial rotating cue rack and the centennial balls.

If money allows I’d really like to get Mark to do his finish on the rails but either way I’d for sure polish all the metal.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I would go Superspeed. Pretty sure that is what Mark uses.
Sounds like you have a PLAN! Let us see the pics when you are done :)

Trent from Toledo

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It’s an 8 ft pro so it does kind of split the difference.

Would you use the Artemis or the Brunswick super speed cushions?

As a bonus he did agree to throw in the Brunswick Centennial rotating cue rack and the centennial balls.

If money allows I’d really like to get Mark to do his finish on the rails but either way I’d for sure polish all the metal.

I put Artemis on mine only because thats what everyone suggested at the time. I think I wish I had put Superspeeds on instead but I dont know if it would play any different. When I compare shots (cue ball speed, 3 rail kicks, etc) on a 9' Blue Label Diamond compared to mine they play almost identical.

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has offered it to me for $2500 under the condition I don’t sell it.

That's a great table!

No disrespect to your dad, but I would never buy something with the condition that I can never sell it, especially if I would have $5K into it before it's usable.

However, I would ask him, how about you let me move your table to my house & have it professionally rebuilt, then we can both play on it whenever we want to. I can never sell it, but neither can you. If either wants to sell, you could sell & split the sale price, or you could buy out & own it with no conditions/restrictions.

Now if he said "I'll sell it to you under the condition that, if you ever want to sell it I get first dibs at buying it" that is much different story.

Personally, if I was going to spend $5K on a table, and had space I'd get a 9' table.

Good luck on your quest whatever you decide.