Shaw & the Rake

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
During my early and later yrs, watching players from the Sigel, Rempe, Jersey Red, Ronnie Allen, Lassiter and Crane days and Johnson City....I don't ever remember any of those older players from ANY era or later, that switched hands when using the rake shot. In this particular Hill/hill race to 11, It cost em the match.

It felt ''odd'' watching him....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
During my early and later yrs, watching players from the Sigel, Rempe, Jersey Red, Ronnie Allen, Lassiter and Crane days and Johnson City....I don't ever remember any of those older players from ANY era or later, that switched hands when using the rake shot. In this particular Hill/hill race to 11, It cost em the match.

Sigel could switch hands using the rake/bridge and did it on a few rare occasions when it was awkward shooting lefty. I think I have one of those times on a tape of a match I recorded. Maybe it was at the Sands tourney.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no proof that switching hands cost him the match. Just because he missed that dies not mean it was because he switches hands. That's the way he learned to do it. How do you know that if he used the hand that you think he should have used he would have made the shot?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Agreed it's uncommon, but some practice it, so switching hands is fine for those who do.

Wonder if you're talking about the 2019 Bigfoot 10-ball quarterfinal between Shaw and Fedor Gorst, a double hill affair in which Shaw had to use the bridge on the seven ball at 10-10. If so, I do not concur that it was the shot with the bridge that cost him the match, It was the shot before that, the five ball, on which Shaw should have done better. This left him on the wrong side of the ball, and he had to use the bridge from a mile away only because he was on the ten footer. He was still probably 75% to get out from there and really should not miss the eight ball. If you're referring to a different match, I apologize for this entire paragraph.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Agreed it's uncommon, but some practice it, so switching hands is fine for those who do.

Wonder if you're talking about the 2019 Bigfoot 10-ball quarterfinal between Shaw and Fedor Gorst, a double hill affair in which Shaw had to use the bridge on the seven ball at 10-10. If so, I do not concur that it was the shot with the bridge that cost him the match, It was the shot before that, the five ball, on which Shaw should have done better. This left him on the wrong side of the ball, and he had to use the bridge from a mile away only because he was on the ten footer. He was still probably 75% to get out from there and really should not miss the eight ball. If you're referring to a different match, I apologize for this entire paragraph.

That is the match with Gorst.

My only point was, it's not something you see allot also, it felt like he rushed his shot.

Island Drive

Silver Member
What's a rake shot?

Since Brunswick is from Farmland, Bristol WI, it was Probably :p those Midwest farm kids that were always cutting grass :angry: that named it. :)

Some cloth back in the 50's and on, was as thick as grass at times. You could almost comb it when you played in MS/FL/GA/AL/KY/HOUSTON LOUISIANA where the rain never stops at times :).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That is the match with Gorst.

My only point was, it's not something you see allot also, it felt like he rushed his shot.

Gotcha. Whether Jayson rushed the shot is a different topic than whether switching hands on that shot was the main issue here. Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, Bill, will you be at the International later this month?

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigel was right handed and played lefty. He always shot right handed with the bridge.

Ronnie O'Sullivan shoots opposite handed with bridge too.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sigel was right handed and played lefty. He always shot right handed with the bridge.

Ronnie O'Sullivan shoots opposite handed with bridge too.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew I had seen Mike shoot right handed with the bridge. I didn't want to go out on a limb and say that he did it all the time because I wasn't sure of that.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Gotcha. Whether Jayson rushed the shot is a different topic than whether switching hands on that shot was the main issue here. Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, Bill, will you be at the International later this month?

Nope....2020 US Open, arrive April 12th....return Thur 16th.

Winnner break nine ball.... from 9am to 11pm ish for three days straight on 33 tables. You avoid weekend room rate doubling and by then I've seen enough. The pit is too bright....Also, I've already seen the final 16 play 1/2 dozen times or more each.

Once home in a couple weeks....Final 16 is free on my big screen, and I can pause it....and there's no glare and I've got my recliner :).

You pay for one ticket for the entire day for the M-Wed, and you can come and go as you like as often as you like.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nope....2020 US Open, arrive April 12th....return Thur 16th.

Winnner break nine ball.... from 9am to 11pm ish for three days straight on 33 tables. You avoid weekend room rate doubling and by then I've seen enough. The pit is too bright....Also, I've already seen the final 16 play 1/2 dozen times or more each.

Once home in a couple weeks....Final 16 is free on my big screen, and I can pause it....and there's no glare and I've got my recliner :).

You pay for one ticket for the entire day for the M-Wed, and you can come and go as you like as often as you like.

You're a man with a plan, Bill. I'll see if I can find a way to go to the US Open for all six days this coming April.

Island Drive

Silver Member
You're a man with a plan, Bill. I'll see if I can find a way to go to the US Open for all six days this coming April.

That's my initial point of view after being their for 7 daze, Six days + travel is too much....and Double the cost/Weekend Room Rates Double.
Southwest will release their end of April Flight schedule the end of month. You can only book out till 4/12 as of now.

Last edited:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too am a righty who shoots lefty...and use a bridge with my right hand. I wonder if

Jayson Shaw is the same way? Anyways, it is good to hear that Sigel did this too. I have

found few players that play opposite dominate hand, but wonder if they all use a bridge

with their dominate hand...the ones I know have.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd Trump plays left, but uses right with the bridge as well.... it stuck out pretty big when I first noticed it.