Looking for some help, to help out a hero....

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Ok, I couldnt sleep at all last night..

I had a cue for sale on ebay that was purchased a few days ago. I received a message last night asking if I still had it for sale. I explained that it had been sold, and went into a little rant about people committing to buy an item then either not paying for it, or taking forever to do so. My rant really had nothing to do with this guys simple question, but it was on my mind because the buyer still hadnt paid for it and I was irritated about it because I was in limbo with the cue and could have sold it to this guy instead...
I have no idea if this guy is a member here or not, but this is the message I received back from him a few minutes later:

Wow, Sorry to hear that. I lost my right hand and fractured my spine in Iraq several years ago, and started playing pool again with a prosthetic. I have a cheapy players cue now and I love that grey on the ikon 2. Im just afraid to spend $500 for a cue to have my prosthetic tear it up. Please let me know if that deal falls through. I'm interested. I just ordered some Kamui & predator chalk from you and it got here FAST so id like to buy my cue from you. Pool helps keep my mind off the pain and also to better use my left hand, so maybe $500 wouldn't be so bad.

SGT
xxxxxx xxxxx (x'ed out his name)
U.S. Army (RET.)

Kinda puts things into perspective for ya doesnt it:frown:. I feel like a true schmuck for even thinking my petty 'problems', are even problems...

I tossed and turned all night last night about this, wondering what I could do to show this guy, even in such an admittedly small way, the appreciation I have for what he has sacrificed for us... Its minuscule in comparison, but I'd like to get this guy the cue he wants and send it to him as a 'thank you' for his service and sacrifice for us.

Would anyone be willing to put in a small donation to help me buy him a cue? Any amount would be great, $1, $5, $10, $20 or whatever. I completely understand any ones reluctance to do so, not personally knowing me. But I have no reason to scam anyone out of money, those who do know me know that, just ask those that do. This might not even be the right place for this, but If playing pool can help this guy out in a small way, then maybe it is...After reading about AZ members staking this or that player in tournaments, full well knowing that player had little chance of 'cashing in', I figured maybe someone would want to help me, help him. If not, again, I understand, and I will figure out a way to do it anyway on my own. Just looking to see if there's any interest in helping me.

If so, let me know. You don't have to post the amount publicly if you don't want to, you can PM me, but please post on here if you are going to do so, so that it gets bumped to the top for others to see... Im not going to bump this thread if there's no interest, i'll just let it die. Maybe I can put up a paypal 'Donate' button if there seems to be some interest?

Thanks,

Rain-Man :eek: GOAL MET!!! THANK YOU ALL, YOUR WONDERFUL!!!

Edit: (2:35pm) I have received 2 offers for donations, and have decided to put up a PayPal 'Donate' button to make it easier to donate if you wish to. I also have a brand new cue lined up for him (Predator Ikon2-2) at a good discount. I am going to leave the 'Donate' button up until Wednesday at 4pm, at which point I will take it down and put in whatever else is needed towards the cost of the cue and shipping to him. I am also going to send a 'Thank You' card with the cue reading, " 'Thank you for your service and sacrifice', from the AZ Billiards community", and list all contributing AZ members (their AZ handles) on the card (as long as that is 'ok' with everyone who donates...). Again, I will not be bumping this thread, so please feel free to do so if you wish to... Thanks everyone..

Edit II: Ok, the price needed for the cue, including insured shipping is about $475. That is a good discount off the regular list price of the cue.. I have sent PM's to a few people who had concerns and questions, including JoeyA...

This is the total collected so far, and I will update this total as quick as I can as any additional donations come in. Again, I HAVE NOT, AND WILL NOT BUMP THIS THREAD MYSELF, and will make up the difference out of my pocket for the cue...

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please thank him for his service for us.
It's nice of you to reach out to help, I'm in.
My son has been to Iraq and Afghanistan and was supposed to go again in November, it's been delayed , {I hope all of our loved ones come home soon}.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
What is the link to the sold cue on Ebay?

Also, like many people, I am skeptical of fund raising efforts for any kind. Does anyone who knows me personally, also personally knows Rain-Man? I'm talking about personal references.

If you don't know Rain-Man's real name then you can't vouch for him. Well you can, but it won't hold water for me.

I think there are other people who might be interested in donating a few bucks here and there but I would like to know more about this soldier without invading his privacy.

How much money are you looking to collect to pay for the cue?

I think some of the other people would like to know more about Rain-Man and the injured veteran.

If the verteran lives in Louisiana, I would be happy to spend some quality time providing pool lessons to this combat veteran or would be honored to spend some time with him doing the same at any tournament I attend.

Best Regards,
JoeyA

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
I'll echo much of what Joey said above, along with this...

I remember a while ago there was a new member on here inquiring about cues, and I know I responded to one of his posts. He signed his name Sgt something ret. I also remember there was mention of him being injured during his service time. I wonder if they are one in the same. Could very well be. Maybe that person will chime in.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Kobachi can you remember the content of thread? A. P.M. to the guy? I can't see more than a month of posts. Phone limitations.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
keep this thread at the top

sent a small thank you for your service young man...i hope this game and all of the characters you meet entertain you for a lifetime

and kudos to rain man...i'll take you at your word today

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
keep this thread at the top

sent a small thank you for your service young man...i hope this game and all of the characters you meet entertain you for a lifetime

and kudos to rain man...i'll take you at your word today

I'm a little suspicious guys. This is a first time poster.

Edit: I'm starting to think this might be legit. I hope it is!

Last edited:

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
.... I understand, but

I explicitly stated that I would not bump this thread. But in fairness to the actual goal of the thread, I think I should chime in here instead of sending constant PM's to members with legitimate concerns.. I have edited the original post several times now instead of posting and bumping it, but I guess I should have realized that most people, including myself if I were there, aren't going to keep reading the first post after reading it once...

The cue cost including shipping is about $475. That is a a really good discount on this brand new cue from the regular list price.. As of right now, $125 has been donated toward that total, and will be updated as it comes in... Donations will be taken until 4pm on Wednesday, or until the amount needed is reached. I will be putting in any additional amount needed for the cue. I have not included anything from myself into that $125 total collected so far, assuming I would just do the remaining amount at the end, whatever it is.. But, I'm going to put in $50 right now to that total, just to make sure I'm in on the purchase. That now brings the total to $175, and I of course will still be putting in any additional money that is needed.

I am NOT a new member, and have much more that one post (not sure where that even came from?), specifically 345 more now. I also have an Itrader of 41...

Thanks everyone,
Rain-Man

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a little suspicious guys. This is a first time poster.

Edit: I'm starting to think this might be legit. I hope it is!
yes, i'm new to azb but my post and thoughts were real.

been working for 40+ years, getting close to retirement and looking to make some time for a game i played as a kid.

as far as this post goes you all have done worse (or less) with $5, $10 or $20 than taking a flyer on this story and rain man has 340+ posts

take a shot here, it won't kill ya

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
This thread gets a thumbs-up from JoeyA

Like some of you, I am skeptical about fund-raisers and always have been. There are lots of needy people in the world but there are also quite a few scum-bag, flim-flam people out there trying to take advantage of good, honest and generous people with a heart.

I've done some digging on my own and know a lot of things about Rain-Man and I know personal friends who know Rain-Man and who have broke bread with him. He is a good guy who tries to keep things as private as he can and is trying to do the right thing for one of our wounded warriors.

Rain-Man is apparently one of those rare individuals who sometimes sees someone who is deserving and tries to find a way to help. I have it on GOOD AUTHORITY that he is a good man.

I asked about the price of the cue because I wanted to make sure that Rain-Man is able to purchase this cue at a reasonable price. That is a good purchase price.

The person he is trying to help is a combat soldier who will remain anonymous, unless he chooses to share or publish his identity. I have also done research on this man as well and like what has been written about him. I won't be sharing his identity either, unless he provides an OK to do so. I know that some of you would want to know his name but at this time, the soldier does not know about this thread or about what we are going to try and do. It will be a surprise to him and then he can decide through Rain-Man if he wishes to register on AZB and say hello to the Main Forum or simply pass a message on through Rain-Man.

I am one of the lucky guys who experienced more than my share of combat. I suffered with survivors guilt and PTSD for decades and have finally come to terms with it and know that I should bear no guilt and I no longer wake up in a cold sweat, nor do I have to take mind-altering drugs to make it through the day. I received no Purple Heart and few other medals but I did earn a Combat Action Ribbon from my service in Vietnam. It was a shit war and we lost a lot of people we didn't know, relatives and friends who we loved. Our veterans of that era came home to cold stares, alienation and worse. That is over and we hold no grudges and we of that era are very happy to see that our returning veterans are being welcomed back with open arms.

Everyone has their opinions about whether are not we should be fighting this war or that war. My opinion and I have made it known before is that I believe that in any war that our president and elected officials and appointed officials (especially the President's Cabinet) should be required to send their first born child to fight in combat for our country's interests. I am not naïve enough to believe that will ever happen but it is something I think would cut down on the number of wars we get involved in and that would be a good thing. Sorry for the rant.

The bottom line is I am clicking on Rain-Man's donation button in a few minutes and donating $100 towards the purchase of the cue. It's the least I can do for someone who gave so much for our country.

Rain-Man has agreed to spend any money that is collected over the cost of the cue to purchase additional items that might be needed and is cutting off the donation button on Wednesday as noted in the first post in this thread.

He has also agreed to refund all money if for some reason the soldier does not want the cue. If the donation hits Rain-Man's target he has agreed to take down the donation button as well.

Personally, so that verification can be noted, I would like to ask Rain-Man to post the amounts from each member of the forum with their screen names OR at least the dollar amount of each donation. If the money goes over the target, Rain-Man can use the additional cash to purchase some other needed items for our wounded warrior. Rain-Man can then let us know what other additional items if any, were purchased and what their costs were. If you want to be anonymous, donate an odd amount and Rain-Man will post that dollar amount so that you will know it was your donation (ex: $14.28). That way the amounts of each donation can be acknowledged without your identity being revealed. Some of us cannot afford to donate anything and that is OK. Some of us can afford to donate little and that's ok. Some of us can afford to donate but won't and that's ok too. Everyone has priorities and personal perspectives about these kind of things. For those of you who know me, this hits close to home.

This former soldier is a guy who likes pool. It's our love too. Let's share a little of our love with one of our country's most deserved heroes.

Sincerely,
JoeyA

P.S. Thank you Rain-Man for your effort.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I explicitly stated that I would not bump this thread. But in fairness to the actual goal of the thread, I think I should chime in here instead of sending constant PM's to members with legitimate concerns.. I have edited the original post several times now instead of posting and bumping it, but I guess I should have realized that most people, including myself if I were there, aren't going to keep reading the first post after reading it once...

The cue cost including shipping is about $475. That is a a really good discount on this brand new cue from the regular list price.. As of right now, $125 has been donated toward that total, and will be updated as it comes in... Donations will be taken until 4pm on Wednesday, or until the amount needed is reached. I will be putting in any additional amount needed for the cue. I have not included anything from myself into that $125 total collected so far, assuming I would just do the remaining amount at the end, whatever it is.. But, I'm going to put in $50 right now to that total, just to make sure I'm in on the purchase. That now brings the total to $175, and I of course will still be putting in any additional money that is needed.

I am NOT a new member, and have much more that one post (not sure where that even came from?), specifically 345 more now. I also have an Itrader of 41...

Thanks everyone,
Rain-Man

In my post I quote somebody who had 1 post. I was referring to the person I quoted.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like some of you, I am skeptical about fund-raisers and always have been. There are lots of needy people in the world but there are also quite a few scum-bag, flim-flam people out there trying to take advantage of good, honest and generous people with a heart.

I've done some digging on my own and know a lot of things about Rain-Man and I know personal friends who know Rain-Man and who have broke bread with him. He is a good guy who tries to keep things as private as he can and is trying to do the right thing for one of our wounded warriors.

Rain-Man is apparently one of those rare individuals who sometimes sees someone who is deserving and tries to find a way to help. I have it on GOOD AUTHORITY that he is a good man.

I asked about the price of the cue because I wanted to make sure that Rain-Man is able to purchase this cue at a reasonable price. That is a good purchase price.

The person he is trying to help is a combat soldier who will remain anonymous, unless he chooses to share or publish his identity. I have also done research on this man as well and like what has been written about him. I won't be sharing his identity either, unless he provides an OK to do so. I know that some of you would want to know his name but at this time, the soldier does not know about this thread or about what we are going to try and do. It will be a surprise to him and then he can decide through Rain-Man if he wishes to register on AZB and say hello to the Main Forum or simply pass a message on through Rain-Man.

I am one of the lucky guys who experienced more than my share of combat. I suffered with survivors guilt and PTSD for decades and have finally come to terms with it and know that I should bear no guilt and I no longer wake up in a cold sweat, nor do I have to take mind-altering drugs to make it through the day. I received no Purple Heart and few other medals but I did earn a Combat Action Ribbon from my service in Vietnam. It was a shit war and we lost a lot of people we didn't know, relatives and friends who we loved. Our veterans of that era came home to cold stares, alienation and worse. That is over and we hold no grudges and we of that era are very happy to see that our returning veterans are being welcomed back with open arms.

Everyone has their opinions about whether are not we should be fighting this war or that war. My opinion and I have made it known before is that I believe that in any war that our president and elected officials and appointed officials (especially the President's Cabinet) should be required to send their first born child to fight in combat for our country's interests. I am not naïve enough to believe that will ever happen but it is something I think would cut down on the number of wars we get involved in and that would be a good thing. Sorry for the rant.

The bottom line is I am clicking on Rain-Man's donation button in a few minutes and donating $100 towards the purchase of the cue. It's the least I can do for someone who gave so much for our country.

Rain-Man has agreed to spend any money that is collected over the cost of the cue to purchase additional items that might be needed and is cutting off the donation button on Wednesday as noted in the first post in this thread.

He has also agreed to refund all money if for some reason the soldier does not want the cue. If the donation hits Rain-Man's target he has agreed to take down the donation button as well.

Personally, so that verification can be noted, I would like to ask Rain-Man to post the amounts from each member of the forum with their screen names OR at least the dollar amount of each donation. If the money goes over the target, Rain-Man can use the additional cash to purchase some other needed items for our wounded warrior. Rain-Man can then let us know what other additional items if any, were purchased and what their costs were. If you want to be anonymous, donate an odd amount and Rain-Man will post that dollar amount so that you will know it was your donation (ex: $14.28). That way the amounts of each donation can be acknowledged without your identity being revealed. Some of us cannot afford to donate anything and that is OK. Some of us can afford to donate little and that's ok. Some of us can afford to donate but won't and that's ok too. Everyone has priorities and personal perspectives about these kind of things. For those of you who know me, this hits close to home.

This former soldier is a guy who likes pool. It's our love too. Let's share a little of our love with one of our country's most deserved heroes.

Sincerely,
JoeyA

P.S. Thank you Rain-Man for your effort.

A thumb up from Joey A is all I need. I will round up some billiard supplies and send them to Rain Man.

Ray

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there Ray and Joey.and everyone else............

A thumb up from Joey A is all I need. I will round up some billiard supplies and send them to Rain Man.

Ray

I am in Pittsburgh and giving lessons.

I came here with Tor to do a lesson in oil city, Pa with his reality show 14 days.

I came down to Pittsburgh to do lessons at Conway Lounge in conway and Breakers billiards in Pittsburgh.

Rainman is for real. He owns the place and is a real stand up guy. His place is one of the nicest places i have seen, being on the road. he has 3 8' diamonds and continually has done so many things for pool. The players here are lucky to have him here.

This guy is for real and I would stake my reputation on it for sure. I'm going there tomorrow to give a lesson to John L.

I'm going to even kick in a little to the fund.

This is very legitimate for sure.

Just saw this thread and felt I better say something.

Rainman is one of the good guys for sure..............

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don't want to donate to the cue but if he would like a case I will send one. Have him contact me at jb@jbideas.com to discuss the colors he would like.

OR

If someone wants to buy one of our basic rugged cases then I will donate all the proceeds to the cue.

Last edited: