Using the wrong eye as dominant..........

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does this happen?

I really don't know except that we can think that we shoot with the right eye because we are right handed and kind of force it like shooting with a gun.

We all can shift our heads over about an inch to the right or the left and make the non-dominant eye work as the dominant eye. It usually won't look very good unless you were one of these players that was using the wrong eye as dominant.

In my teachings I have only found a dozen or so players that were doing this. But what a difference this made for them.

This is just one reason when I teach a player Perfect Aim I show them how to make the non dominant eye work as the dominant eye. Usually it is to show the player where the eyes shouldn't be but in this particular case it just really clears it up for this player and now they can see the shot so much better.

Mike figured this out a month or 2 after he got the Perfect Aim lesson but this wouldn't have been possible at all without being shown how to make each eye dominant.

If you see this Mike maybe you can share some of your experience with our fellow AZers. This is kind of a unique thing that only effects very few players but for those that it does this is huge. it is everything when it comes to lining up the shot so you can see it the best.

Have a great day Geno.......

Last edited:

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was an eye opener for me :wink:. Gene visited with me awhile ago and showed me how to get my eyes where they needed to be to see the shot. We figured out that I was using my left eye as my dominant eye which I had already known. He also showed me a few things that I will use from here on out. His teachings are full of good info and he's an excellent instructor.

I quit playing about 20 years ago and have recently picked the game up again. I used to spend day and night locked up in action at the poolroom. I never paid attention to my stroke or aiming. If I won my stroke was fine. If I lost I needed to play more and improve. The only thing I thought about was shooting pool. I never worried abot PSR or SPF. After all, good pool players don't need to ask for directions I figured.

I would have my ups and downs just like all players did. If I had a problem I would try to figure out how to fix it. I noticed my stroke would swerve in some days and out on other days. Then there were some days it was straight again. I never did figure out what the problem was, but I had a few ideas. After years of frustration I gave up and sold my cue.

When i started playing again I decided to try looking at some technical info which I had shunned previously. I realized I didn't know squat about my stroke. With some of my bad habits resurfacing I wanted to see what Gene had to offer, so I bought his video and met with him. Using his principles I noticed an immediate improvement and I started to gain some speed back. A couple of weeks ago I bent down to look at a tight shot and closed my left eye. I wondered why I would close my dominant eye to look at a shot. I tried again a short time later and I did the same thing. The only thing that made sense is that I was not closing my dominant eye, but rather I was using my dominant eye to aim...my right eye! All the tests showed me to be left eye dominant, but I was forcing my left eye to be dominant when it wasn't. I had shot that way for years. That helped to explain why I would make several tough shots only to miss an easy one. And why I was subconciously compensating on certain shots. So, now what?

I thought about it and tried using the same things Gene had taught to me with my other eye. Not to be a drama king here, but I've been playing at least a ball better on my 4" pockets. My stroke has straightened out, too. No more compensating for poor aim/alignment. I just wish I would have known this a long time ago. Thanks again, Gene!

Best,
Mike

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the better shooter instructors here is blind in one eye and plays lights out (pun not intended).

Andy Scott in AZ is/was a good shooter and he would close one eye when he got down on a shot.

I swear that my dominant eye can change from day to day - so I line up my shot with my cue resting on the table, aimed at the shot [CB to OB]) and then I walk into and get down over it so that I will know that I am in line when I focus/aim.

Works for me.:)

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Discussion about *eye-dominance* is hard. Anyway it s a bit funny imo how many ppl talking in such discussions. Also if you re 100% sure which eye is your dominant eye....in many different *head positions* you ll probably not always in the same like before. Even if you have one *very good eye*-and your 2nd maybe bad....the 2nd one will also takes his part to *be lined up perfectly*.
i for myself am not able to see with my right eye- so i am a 100 % left-dominant eyed player. But we tested it for fun- if i close my right eye (with this i can see if it s night or day, colours-and ofc still cann see if my opponent is a woman or a man :p) i m not ligned up in the same position like i would be ligned up with opened *right eye*.
This is a discussion where some ppl praying things-and know nothing about it.

Ingo

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, when I shot left hand pistol, I get all the shots on the target using my left eye.
When using a rh pistol and rh eye, I also get all the shots on the target.
When I switch lh gun with rh eye, I miss, same as rh gun lh eye.
So I am not sure of which eye is dominant for pool.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be showing everyone soon...........

For me, when I shot left hand pistol, I get all the shots on the target using my left eye.
When using a rh pistol and rh eye, I also get all the shots on the target.
When I switch lh gun with rh eye, I miss, same as rh gun lh eye.
So I am not sure of which eye is dominant for pool.

Hi there,

One of the biggest drawback for understanding Perfect Aim was identifying the pool shooting dominant eye. For the players that had the wrong eye, and there was alot of them, it didn't seem to work for them because they were always adjusting the absolute wrong way.

The ones that did get it understood and loved how it worked.

The new video that I am working on right now has all the good info from the first but also has some new techniques that make it easier than ever to understand. This has been made possible by doing the Perfect aim review by AZers for Azers about 4 months ago. This helped me answer alot of questions that will help players learn this in the future.

But one of the most important parts of the video will be showing everyone how to find their pool shooting eye beyond a shadow of a doubt. Once this is done it is a snap to learn Perfect Aim because the player can see the results with their own eyes almost immediately.

Without knowing the dominant eye and how to adjust to see the different shots perfectly a player just has to resort to the old school of shooting until your ready to drop method every night for about a month or so to start seeing the shots better.

Perfect Aim allows you to get the eyes in the correct position right away and therefor your brain is getting the correct info so your body and arm can do the rest.

Identifying the dominant eye is a must in finding the perfect spot for each individual.

This is one of the most important things I would teach players when they call me for a phone lesson once they bought the video. I need to help them make sure they have gotten the correct eye identified as dominant.

Have a great day geno any questions feel free to call 715-563-8712

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does this happen?

We all can shift our heads over about an inch to the right or the left and make the non-dominant eye work as the dominant eye. It usually won't look very good unless you were one of these players that was using the wrong eye as dominant.

In my teachings I have only found a dozen or so players that were doing this. But what a difference this made for them.

Have a great day Geno.......

This is exactly what I did in the last year. I'm lefty and left eye dom......I used to play with my left eye directly over the cue. I knew there was something wrong because I had to compensate by over/under cutting shots depending on which side I was cutting the ball to. My saving grace was I always did the same thing every time, so I figured once I found out why it would be easy to fix.

So, I was watching a video of Mike Sigel and I saw his alignment and how it differed from mine. I went down to the basement and by moving my head to the left.....it all fell into place. My brain kept saying "this is wrong......using the right eye more is no good" but.....it put everything into place.

I'm guessing this is what Geno would have done to fix me......it just wouldn't have taken me a year to get there! :grin:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your right............

This is exactly what I did in the last year. I'm lefty and left eye dom......I used to play with my left eye directly over the cue. I knew there was something wrong because I had to compensate by over/under cutting shots depending on which side I was cutting the ball to. My saving grace was I always did the same thing every time, so I figured once I found out why it would be easy to fix.

So, I was watching a video of Mike Sigel and I saw his alignment and how it differed from mine. I went down to the basement and by moving my head to the left.....it all fell into place. My brain kept saying "this is wrong......using the right eye more is no good" but.....it put everything into place.

I'm guessing this is what Geno would have done to fix me......it just wouldn't have taken me a year to get there! :grin:

It kind of sounds like you were trying to shoot like one of these one eyed wonders. By that I mean these lucky players that see the shot with only their dominant eye. They are looking at the shot like through a telescope. Unfortuanately unless your eyes and brain are wired like this it is very difficult to aim this way. Most of us are mere mortals that have the cue between the 2 eyes somewhere depending on the degree of dominance having to make a choice on where this magical best spot for the eyes is. For these one eyed wonders it's very simple. For us not so simple.

Once you move over it made things better but you still need to keep the dominant eye in it's dominant position. And it is kind of tricky to get it correct on all the shots because of all the optical illusions this game creates with the round balls ,straight rail,pockets and angles.

Good thing there aren't illusions like this in race car driving. You would need a new car every week.

Understanding that by moving the eyes where they need to be can be eye opening but to really understand where they need to be to counteract all these illusions is another matter. Because when you did move your head it is very easy to make the non dominant eye work a little bit as the dominant. When this happens is when the shot still looks pretty good but you miss it anyway even though everything seemed right. Sometimes by a mile and on a very simple shot. You might even think to yourself, you got to be kidding, how did I miss that simple shot by so much when it looked so good.

The answer to that question is the non dominant eye was in the dominant position and the brain was getting false information.

Have a great day geno..........

Last edited:

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the better shooter instructors here is blind in one eye and plays lights out (pun not intended).

Andy Scott in AZ is/was a good shooter and he would close one eye when he got down on a shot.

I swear that my dominant eye can change from day to day - so I line up my shot with my cue resting on the table, aimed at the shot [CB to OB]) and then I walk into and get down over it so that I will know that I am in line when I focus/aim.

Works for me.:)

Not having a consistent dominant eye has been my problem for years. I never realized it and I swerved left and right trying to compensate. The easy shots looked good and I'd miss them by a full ball. The same ones kept giving me trouble and now I understand why. I would line up wrong. The shot looked right and I would be aiming to the right spot, but the CB would go to the wrong contact point because I'd lined up wrong. My brain said it was right though. PITA! You can't even trust your own eyes. :confused: :grin:

Best,
Mike

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Get down and aim a straight in shot. Close one eye and then the other - the one that looks right is your dominant eye.

What do you do if you only can close one EYE, because the EYE CLOSER in the other EYE DON'T WORK?????????

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
What do you do if you only can close one EYE, because the EYE CLOSER in the other EYE DON'T WORK?????????

Well then, it's more than obvious at least to me that you are the absolute best candidate for Perfect Aim that I have ever heard of.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree totally--- use,learn SPF

Scott Lee , Randy Goettlicher- please speak up here. The amount of time for both eyes to see something is so fast.(like 10,000 of a sec . Lets here from instructors please. I think how you use your eyes is what is more important. What kind of eyes do you have?? Peek-a-boo(or ping pong) fast, quiet, nervous. Shooting 7 more shots from the set position. people focus with both eyes. Gene pool isn't rocket science. Lets ask Jeff Carter- Pool is 95 percent Mental! Comparing gun shooting to pool is redickulassssssssss mark

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi there,

a bit angry with myself bc it s not possible for me atm, to really write down in english and finding the correct words. I always tried to NOT type in one of these *Best Aiming* threads For sure Gene is a nice player and i bet he can show some nice stuff. i watched also the video-also here some nice things. But i totally disagree with this talkin about the *perfect position/aiming* the way Gene teaches and prayin it.

p.s.
For the example with the *one eyed player*. Watch Nils Fejen and Dick Jaspers playin- both players are one-eyed.......and imo they seem to be playin some nice balls from time to time .....both are AIMING TOTALLY DIFFERENT! I ma also just using one eye- 2nd isn t blind like it is for the other 2 guys- but i just see 15 percent or so- And my dominant eye should be easy to find...lol. And my ligh-up i much different.
But still this 15 percent are important to find and setup correctly for me.
Again, it totally disagree with the perfect-aim method. nice if it s work for someone. But this theme is too complex to teach it this way!

lg
Ingo

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another option

Steve the Miz- wore contacts 1 for short shots and the other for long shots. It took time he said to get used to it. But it has nothing to do with dominant eyes. And I will get no laser eye surgery till The (doctor, Pilots, tells me its ok . ) I know a couple eye doctors and they plan on wearing glasses/contacts for a long time. The us military any branch will not let you serve- unless they do your surgery. Something to do with exploding eyeballs. There is new tech- on the horizon- but everybody is invested in the present techno.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is..............

Hi there,

a bit angry with myself bc it s not possible for me atm, to really write down in english and finding the correct words. I always tried to NOT type in one of these *Best Aiming* threads For sure Gene is a nice player and i bet he can show some nice stuff. i watched also the video-also here some nice things. But i totally disagree with this talkin about the *perfect position/aiming* the way Gene teaches and prayin it.

p.s.
For the example with the *one eyed player*. Watch Nils Fejen and Dick Jaspers playin- both players are one-eyed.......and imo they seem to be playin some nice balls from time to time .....both are AIMING TOTALLY DIFFERENT! I ma also just using one eye- 2nd isn t blind like it is for the other 2 guys- but i just see 15 percent or so- And my dominant eye should be easy to find...lol. And my ligh-up i much different.
But still this 15 percent are important to find and setup correctly for me.
Again, it totally disagree with the perfect-aim method. nice if it s work for someone. But this theme is too complex to teach it this way!

lg
Ingo

Hi there Ingo,

The problem is you are kind of in the middle. Your bad eye is still working and effecting the way you aim. It sounds like you can see some with that bad eye.. Only you can see how much you can see.

I think you said when you are aiming and you close your bad eye it doesn't look quite right. you'ld have to move it over then to see it with just the one eye. This probably means that your bad eye is doing more than what you might think for sure.

I wish I was there to help you in person. If you ever get to the US and I am at the same place I will give you a free personal lesson for free.

In fact you can call me for a free phone lesson anytime.

Good Luck and hope to hear from you my friend. geno

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I make sure what the student understands totally....

Scott Lee , Randy Goettlicher- please speak up here. The amount of time for both eyes to see something is so fast.(like 10,000 of a sec . Lets here from instructors please. I think how you use your eyes is what is more important. What kind of eyes do you have?? Peek-a-boo(or ping pong) fast, quiet, nervous. Shooting 7 more shots from the set position. people focus with both eyes. Gene pool isn't rocket science. Lets ask Jeff Carter- Pool is 95 percent Mental! Comparing gun shooting to pool is redickulassssssssss mark

Hi there,

When I do a personal lesson I show the player in a manner that they can see exactly what the eyes are doing and where they are for themselves. I don't just tell them, OK, this is the way it is and you just have to trust me. I make sure they can see it for themselves. And the things I teach them they can use right away with great results. They don't have to work at it for 6 months to see improvement. It's like right now.

In fact many of the players that have learned Perfect Aim know it well enough to teach it if they wanted to. Because if you really understand it you can see that it is just the way the eyes naturally see the best and it works. seeing it and using it with great success is the only proof the player needs to know that it works.

It's not neccessary to get an approval from another teacher to tell you that it works if you can see it for yourself already. And I know that it is hard to believe that nobody in the world has ever figured this out before but it is true. It's been 2 years since I've been teaching this full time and there has been nobody. Not a book or video or anyone that even had a clue about the main reason this works and how it works.

And sure some teachers have said that they already knew it, and I say know what, how do you already know it if you don't even know how it works. Kind of silly.

I've shown this to some of the top teachers in the country and they were amazed.

The players using Perfect Aim is growing everyday and players that are using it are having more fun playing because their making more shots than ever before.

That's what it's all about. Playing the game we all love and enjoy and improving as much as we can whenever we can. Perfect aim is just an excellent tool to boost you to your next level and help you aim the shots better so you have greater success at putting the ball in the hole.

Whether it's league play, tournament play or just playing with your friends making that little ball go in the hole sure is more fun than missing.

The goal of the new video is to try and cover all the bases and have a product where most everyone can learn this technique from just the video. And it looks like we're going to have a winner when it's done. It's in the works right now.

I will always though offer my personal phone number to anyone that has bought the Perfect Aim video and has any questions. I don't think it gets any better than that.

Have a great day geno...........