Sharking

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to hear some of the shark tactics players have used on our thread members, or members have used. This might be interesting...

I played a guy one time that put the chalk face down, firmly everytime he used it. He also slid it slightly when picking it up. It was a definite shark tactic, and a good one at that. I have never been so filthy from playing pool. It was a real crappy move, but it definitely irritated my game some. I guess he was used to it or felt better about it since he was the one doing it.

I had the nuts so it didn't matter, but in a close game I think I would have taken the time to wash the rails before I shot everytime, as a counter-shark move until he couldn't take the waiting or the obvious overkill.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy running out...opponent says loudly, "this guy doesn't want to play pool, he wants to fight".

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
iba7467 said:
I would like to hear some of the shark tactics players have used on our thread members, or members have used. This might be interesting...

I played a guy one time that put the chalk face down, firmly everytime he used it. He also slid it slightly when picking it up. It was a definite shark tactic, and a good one at that. I have never been so filthy from playing pool. It was a real crappy move, but it definitely irritated my game some. I guess he was used to it or felt better about it since he was the one doing it.

I had the nuts so it didn't matter, but in a close game I think I would have taken the time to wash the rails before I shot everytime, as a counter-shark move until he couldn't take the waiting or the obvious overkill.

Man, do I hate that. I have played people that absolutely must put the chalk face down on the rail. I am constantly wiping the rails down, and requesting/begging them not to do that. And they do it anyway. I have quit games because of this.

I don't know about you, but I don't want blue chalk dust all over my hands and clothes. I think the next time it happens, I will pick up all the chalk and put it in my pocket. I will not let him set any chalk on the rail. PERIOD!

They can keep one piece in their pocket as well.

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
What really drives me crazy is when people place the chalk face down ON MY HOME TABLE!!!!

I yell, growl, and threaten, but my wife still won't stop!

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I May Replace My 'Pocket Chalk' With Some Brass Knuckles

jay helfert said:
Man, do I hate that. I have played people that absolutely must put the chalk face down on the rail. I am constantly wiping the rails down, and requesting/begging them not to do that. And they do it anyway. I have quit games because of this.

I don't know about you, but I don't want blue chalk dust all over my hands and clothes. I think the next time it happens, I will pick up all the chalk and put it in my pocket. I will not let him set any chalk on the rail. PERIOD!

LOL, and just how would you go about enforcing that ?
Doug
( there's not room for me AND chalk in my pants..... imo ) :)

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant stand when there's two pieces of chalk on the table and the opponent constantly takes one away from the table. I usually address it immediately and start my approach from the side of the table that would require me to ask him for the piece he's holding rather than walk around to the other piece. After I ask two times, they never do it again.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

that's a great idea Jay.
speaking of sharking, the last sharking incident that happened to me was when I just needed one more ball to win in a game of rotation , when my opponent suddenly approached the table and started counting the total points I had on my rack and tells me how many balls I still need. I in return told him, "thanks for reminding me buddy. don't worry, when it's your turn on the table, I'll return the favor by telling you the total value of points you have in every ball that you pocket everytime."

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Not to get off of the subject of "chalk-sharking", but the one I hate is when my opponent stands in a direct line with my shot and really close to the table, whether he is motionless or not this is some rude sharking, IMO.

Maniac

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing nine ball, I'm down on an easy eight (but could still dog it), opponent standing near the table, sticks his hand in his pocket and jingles his keys. I just grinned to myself and got out.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
The one that really gets me is when I miss, and my opponent makes an easy out really slowly. I'm eager to get back to the table to rebound from my miss, and it's an easy out that I've already conceded to my opponent in my mind, but he takes 45-60 seconds standing over every shot, and I'm screaming on the inside "just get out so I can rack and maybe get a chance in the next one!" Some people are just naturally slow, but some others definitely do it as a ploy to get me steaming, and man does it work effectively against me. By the time I get a shot after sitting there fuming over how long I've been in the chair watching this easy out, I couldn't sink a straight in two-foot shot in the Pacific Ocean. Which means it all starts again when I miss the next opportunity.

I have improved on this front (I used to get it much worse), and I think over time I'll develop the mental toughness that I won't be vulnerable to this move anymore. But I'm not quite there yet.

-Andrew

BPG24

Banned
Maniac said:
Not to get off of the subject of "chalk-sharking", but the one I hate is when my opponent stands in a direct line with my shot and really close to the table, whether he is motionless or not this is some rude sharking, IMO.

Maniac

that is a great point,

I always try to get out of peoples way... Some people try to get in your line of sight, or right up against the table when you shoot...

So many low class moves, we could talk about this subject for weeks

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
LOL, and just how would you go about enforcing that ?
Doug
( there's not room for me AND chalk in my pants..... imo ) :)

You don't want to know. :D

I have this evil picture in my mind of taking the face down piece of chalk and throwing it across the room. I would look at my opponent and say "That's your piece". I told you I'm slightly demented.

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
Once I played a guy who took two to three minutes per shot. I actually timed it. But I couldn't tell if he was mentally handicapped or not, so I let it slide. I just ran out once I got another turn.

I've never sharked intentionally. While racking the last match I played I asked my opponent, "You planning on missing any time soon? I could find something else to do if you're not." But I wouldn't consider that sharking. Needless to say, I lost. :p

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Njhustler1 said:
I cant stand when there's two pieces of chalk on the table and the opponent constantly takes one away from the table. I usually address it immediately and start my approach from the side of the table that would require me to ask him for the piece he's holding rather than walk around to the other piece. After I ask two times, they never do it again.

Another one that bugs me. And I handle it the same way, walk right over and ask him for the chalk.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about the guy who says "nice try" every time you miss. When I make a tough shot, I like to look at him and ask him if he thought that was a 'nice try' as well. That usually shuts him up.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Just last night playing a friendly game of weird rules 8 ball on a barbox with an overseas friend, he breaks and doesn't make a ball, I make a medium tough cut into the corner, and start to run out, Lou Butera style, noisily, drawing here and there, etc. He freaks out, as I'm on my second to last ball, saying, "Caramba! I wanna play too, take it easy!" LOL

I purposely miss shape on my last ball to give him a chance, LOL.

While it may or may not have been a shark attack, I don't know, it could be very effective, as he was playing the victim. And yes, he has played a lot of pool in the past.

Thinking a bit more about it, it was likely a perfect move, as he was playing only mediocre pool, and could ostensibly not like being moved on the way was happening.

Flex

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people shark themselves by paying attention to everything going on around them while they are playing.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best shark move I have seen... (in league, not gambling)

Opponent is about to shoot a close shot where, although not likely, the cueball might rebound into the cuestick (a foul). The non-shooting team asks to have someone who would understand the likelihood of a foul (planting the seed) to watch the shot. They then get the best player in the room to watch Joe Schmoe shoot. Joe Schmoe will be so nervous with the best player watching it's at least a 200% advantage.

I have seen this happen 4 times -2 misses, 2 fouls, 0 made. I know it works, I did it myself. Sharking, yes, but hey it's league.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jersey Red sharked me! Yes, he really did. It was in Dayton back in 1974 and I was playing pretty good back then. I had won three matches in a row in the 9-Ball division (including wins over Cannonball and Dan Louie), and was scheduled to play Red next.

So I run into him and he says "Man, you are playing good. I have no chance against you right now. I might just not show up and save my strength for the One Pocket." Yep, he got me big time. I'm thinking maybe he won't show and I'll get a forfeit. He showed up all right, 11-7!