Southwest versus...

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious to hear people’s opinions. A friend and I were discussing which cues feel the most like a Southwest. I know many will say “none” but if you had to choose one or two, what would it be?
Thanks!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious to hear people’s opinions. A friend and I were discussing which cues feel the most like a Southwest. I know many will say “none” but if you had to choose one or two, what would it be?
Thanks!

FWIW, I have never shot with a Southweat that made me want one, but they hit solid and stiff.

You can buy a "replica" of one from Taiwan to try before you ever spend thousands for one. They are made to the same specs and can be bought for less than $400.

Who wants to be on a waiting list for a dozen years?

Not me.

I wouldn't wait that long for any cue, by anybody.

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never shot with either, but heard that Rick Howard cues play like a Southwest cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!
Howard and Olney are similar. None the same. Bryan Mordt(BCM) is a SW fan and his cues are sorta similar. Great cues at good prices btw. Nice one in the Sale section.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bluegrass cues have a similar hit and feel from my perspective. I have had six Southwests and three Bluegrass cues.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

BENDER, RICK HOWRD, JEFF OLNEY ,
These are ALL JUST AS WELL CONSTRUCTED AND PLAY JUST AS GOOD AS ANY CUE YOU COULD EVER OWN....
INCLUDING SOUTHWEST,
SOUTH WEST HAVE GREAT REPUTATION-
But these guys I mentioned- ALL PRODUCE EXCEPTIONAL PLAYING CUES TOO-
also Mike Lambros, Mike Durbin, Andy Gilbert, Bob Manzino, Ariel Carmeli,
Pete Omen-
" I have OWNED all- INCLUDING 6 or 7 new and USED SOUTH WEST WITH ALL KINDS OF WOODS.....
SOUTH WEST VERY HIGH QUALITY , GREAT COLLECTABLE PLAYING CUES-
But for playability.....
THESE CUES ARE FINE-

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My number for My Southwest come up in 2022ish, I will report at that time how a South West Merry Widow plays.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Fell is like Taste it is a personal thing. No measurable, or no way to scientifically tally results. I like Del Taco, some people like Taco Bell. Just people choices.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hit a couple cues from a maker on here(David Brainard), reminded me of that stiff firm hit, not sure if that was his standard taper or if a special taper.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't trade my Rick Howard for a SW. I don't know how a cue can get any better than what I've got. I read on this forum that at some point Rick changed his taper and I don't know when but mine was made in 2001. It's not as stiff as the Josey, Gilbert J/B, or the Schon I had.
It's Ebony into BEM with a solid ivory joint, 1 shaft ivory and 1 Westinghouse micarta. The ferrules were added after I bought the cue and Keith Josey turned the shafts from 13mm to 12.75 maintaining Ricks taper. Most folks that hit with it wanted to buy it, not for sale.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear many folks here speak in very positive terms about the stiff hit of their cue. I own a Gilbert and a Capone, and those shafts were usually termed "European taper" which, I suppose, resulted in that "stiffer" hit. I do like the so called stiffer hitting cues from the standpoint of the seeming confidence it gives you that the cue ball is going where you aimed- the firmness of that hit and feedback from the stiffer shaft.

I will say, however, that for 14.1, I prefer something more like my Richard Black cue - his shafts seem to fall somewhere between the original Meucci cues and the stiffer European taper shafts. In 14.1 quite often you are drawing back to a spot position a few inches from the OB- personally, I find it more difficult to control the cue ball short distances with a stiffer shaft. that slight bit of extra flex in a less stiff shaft gives me a bit better feel on the short stroke draw shots.