Super Billiards expo 2020?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s just too bad that both promoters couldn’t find other dates. What I mean is out of 52 weeks they couldn’t find a week were no big event is going on. To get one And not the other it’s just a bully move Just my opinion but who am I? What do we have here in the US the expo derby city the opens Every other year the cup Just seems like there’s a lot of weekends or weeks that there’s no major events going on here in the US.
One word brother: hyphenation. Write it so it makes at least some sense. Cell phone? Pretty sure they have commas and periods.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need to double check your Barry's :grin-square::grin-square:

Maybe if Hopkins added enough money to make it a WPA event, it would have been on the WPA calendar, and Matchroom may have noticed it. As it stood for the past 20 years, the event rarely attracted more than 3 or 4 international pros. Most of the field in the 20 years past has been made of local Philly/NJ top locals.

Ugh...no . Thats just not true

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thing, there are thousands of amateurs at SBE and the only way they go watch the "pros" is if its free!

I cant believe they even have a "pro" event anymore, I mean, good for them, but it seems like a bad business decision.

Leave all the 9 footers at home and make the action room bigger.

God so much bullshit in this thread.. that room is packed for every session. I didn’t even go the last 2 years because it was constantly standing room only especially at night and all those people paid.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When America puts all it's faith in Europeans to save pool...we get what we deserve.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
God so much bullshit in this thread.. that room is packed for every session. I didn’t even go the last 2 years because it was constantly standing room only especially at night and all those people paid.

Wrong. Its added into the general admission price now, prior to that none of those cheap b@$+@^%s paid to see the pros.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I lived in Philly until 10 years ago, and went to the Expo every year from like late 90's to 10 years ago. I never saw the pro event packed. More like mostly empty. It was something like $20 cash to sweat one session. Maybe $15. And that was on top of the admission to enter the expo. Also, most of the people I saw in the stands were the local or regional serious pool players. None of the bar bangers that were there for that tap or whatever it was called cared to watch the pros.

The class of the field IMO was like the Joss Turning Stone. Maybe 5 or 6 TOP pros, and the rest were the top regional players.

The women's pro event was off again, on again. Never knew if it was going to happen. And some years when it did there were like 14 players if I recall.

Those were my observations.

If its free now, that's a different situation.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the expo first moved the admission price was raised, but this now included entry into pro arena at no additional cost. During this time the stands were mostly filled. After two or three years a fee was once again charged for entry to see the pros. The expo fee remained at the higher price.
I Really don't have problem with this. Everything costs more. I have no idea what it costs to produce such an event.
I did not watch the pro last year for the first time in twenty years. I don't mind paying, but I can watch players at this level play locally

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
This is a topic that was brought up on ABR last month.

I admit that I am biased in this observation, but if there was only a website somewhere with a calendar that tried to list all of the major events, then maybe things like this wouldn't happen. Instead, we have a number of individual promoters who's mentality is "I added it to the calendar on my site, it's everyone else's fault if they didn't see it."

We keep treating professional pool like "amateur hour" and it is going to be perceived by everyone as "amateur hour".

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
This is a topic that was brought up on ABR last month.

I admit that I am biased in this observation, but if there was only a website somewhere with a calendar that tried to list all of the major events, then maybe things like this wouldn't happen. Instead, we have a number of individual promoters who's mentality is "I added it to the calendar on my site, it's everyone else's fault if they didn't see it."

We keep treating professional pool like "amateur hour" and it is going to be perceived by everyone as "amateur hour".

To be fair, SBE is more of a regional event - certainly lower than TS events.

Also, both of these events require a large venue that may not be available any other time. You certainly cant just book Mandalay at any time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... if there was only a website somewhere with a calendar that tried to list all of the major events, then maybe things like this wouldn't happen. ...
My view: any professional event in the US should have the sanctioning of the governing body of the sport in the US, and this should especially apply to events that have a significant number of international players. That would automatically establish a calendar.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing Negative Nancy :D:D:D....

Will Hopkins close up the whole Expo and blame the overlapping of the US Open dates? Diamond did that with the Southern Open, blaming the overlap with Bonus Ball. My personal opinion was the whole thing was a money loser, and that was the scapegoat. I wonder if the same might happen with the whole Expo.

Negative Nancy says bye:)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Playing Negative Nancy :D:D:D....

Will Hopkins close up the whole Expo and blame the overlapping of the US Open dates? Diamond did that with the Southern Open, blaming the overlap with Bonus Ball. My personal opinion was the whole thing was a money loser, and that was the scapegoat. I wonder if the same might happen with the whole Expo.

Negative Nancy says bye:)

This wont affect the Expo at all. The expo is about amateurs and pool related sales .

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Anyone care to think about the real reason SBE and the US Open occur at the same time? Guess none of you realize The Rio had CSI move their BCAPL and USAPL amateur events to March next year. Those events also include two top "pro" events. The Predator World 10 Ball Open and the Diamond Las Vegas 9 Ball Open. SBE had no choice but to move to April and a smaller conflict. Any reasoned discussion?

Lyn

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let the open suffer??? Lol. If you are comparing the men's "pro" tournament at SBE to the US Open it's not even in the same universe.

Sure, let one of the biggest pro events in the world suffer to have an afterthought "pro" event - you should be in charge of pool in the US :rolleyes:

Btw, how much $$$$ is added to the US Open compared to the afterthought SBE event?

He probably meant because it got put on the same time as another big event in another area, thus causing issues for the other promoter.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
He probably meant because it got put on the same time as another big event in another area, thus causing issues for the other promoter.

The Expo is not a big pro event.

That's the problem, somebody comes along to improve pool and eventually make it a true pro event with no entry fee for the players, and you have people that wish it would fail because its scheduled over the top of another event that will never improve pro pool and has very few pro players, and certainly not the elite.

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just 1 opinion...

Look regardless... if you are "FOR or AGAINST" the - EXPO... we all know & so do (ALL the promoters) that pool been in a decline for years...
so why wouldn't these promoters TRY to work together & schedule events so it helps the PEOPLE/FANS? Yes the EXPO is a huge show
for amateur's for the most part... the US Open 9-Ball pays out a lot of money!! Guess what, isn't the pro events for the people/fans?

To most who are in the know... it all goes back to the "GREED of MONEY" & Control... Those who have it rules.... & as others have said here
the EXPO has been going for over 25 years!!! The US Open 9-Ball has always been played later in the year - Oct/Nov... so who is the bully here?...
(they are the NEW kids on the block) & why didn't the ones running the US Open contact Al Hopkins to try to schedule things to help each other or did they?

Regardless... who really suffers here? Again... >>> The Fans...

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just 1 opinion...

Look regardless... if you are "FOR or AGAINST" the - EXPO... we all know & so do (ALL the promoters) that pool been in a decline for years...
so why wouldn't these promoters TRY to work together & schedule events so it helps the PEOPLE/FANS? Yes the EXPO is a huge show
for amateur's for the most part... the US Open 9-Ball pays out a lot of money!! Guess what, isn't the pro events for the people/fans?

To most who are in the know... it all goes back to the "GREED of MONEY" & Control... Those who have it rules.... & as others have said here
the EXPO has been going for over 25 years!!! The US Open 9-Ball has always been played later in the year - Oct/Nov... so who is the bully here?...
(they are the NEW kids on the block) & why didn't the ones running the US Open contact Al Hopkins to try to schedule things to help each other or did they?

Hopkins can't even schedule his Pro events right so he wouldn't have much room to complain. By all means, make a quy withdraw if he advances in both 10 Ball and 1P and force him to pick because you can't schedule crap right in the first place. That has been a declining and inconsistent event for years.

These threads just go on and on. :boring2:

Adios.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I would just do away with the pro event at the expo and just put the money towards the amateur events. After all, the expo is literally THE amateur event here in the states. Hell if they want, do a 9 foot open amateur event and dub it the US Amateur National Championship.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Just 1 opinion...

Not many fans anyway, and certainly not enough to travel to both events.

Pool is dead and the only one attempting to promote/improve it is matchroom.

Nobody is a bully, I dont know where you people come up with this crap.

If I was match room I wouldn't have paid a cent for the name "US OPEN" with all the BS Barry pulled over the years.

Matchroom should have just started their own event with a new name and none of the BS that came with it.

You do understand that Matchroom has a contract at Mandalay Bay right? Do you think they can just tell MB when they are holding the event and they will clear their schedule?

US OPEN is a PRO event, Expo is not.

Last edited: