Woods for cues

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
If you could have a cue built where the wood would be pretty, and have a good hit (if possible) what would you choose?

Myself...I like alot of figure in wood...I had a Pete Ohman cue that had cocobolo forearm and butt.....man, this was a pretty cue...but I like a combination of woods...I like them to compliment each other....so for me this cue...as good as it hit, it was pretty...but plain..it didnt have an "character"

I think Macassar Ebonly is a pretty wood also....Beefwood is a unique piece of wood....zebrawood is nice...amboyna burl is pretty as well.

Give me your ideas on this so I can look up that wood to get an idea on what your talking about...maybe some pictures...

Thoughts...opinions......Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wood for cues

I have made over 100 custom cues in my life time and can tell you wood can be funny for the kind of hit you get. I've made purpleheart hustlers from valley oversized blanks that have jumped a full ball less than a foot away with a valley mud ball. I think a lot of it has to do with the shaft blank too. My cue is a nice peice of birdseye with some curl in it with 4 ebony points with redheart inlays. Also, Ewa signed it before I sprayed it, that didn't hurt either.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
BEM or curly maple forearm w/ cocobolo/ purpleheart butt sleeve

Highly figured BEM...I dont think you can go wrong with that...curly maple is pretty as well..

I have seen a few cues that have purpleheart and cocobolo together..to me the woods together are hard to distinguish..at least the cue I seen was....maybe if there were some ringwork, or veneers or something separating these 2 woods would be good....

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have made over 100 custom cues in my life time and can tell you wood can be funny for the kind of hit you get. I've made purpleheart hustlers from valley oversized blanks that have jumped a full ball less than a foot away with a valley mud ball. I think a lot of it has to do with the shaft blank too. My cue is a nice peice of birdseye with some curl in it with 4 ebony points with redheart inlays. Also, ewa signed it before i sprayed it, that didn't hurt either.

when the cue i wanted to buy was $1100.00 i decided i better learn how to make the darn things myself

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I have made over 100 custom cues in my life time and can tell you wood can be funny for the kind of hit you get. I've made purpleheart hustlers from valley oversized blanks that have jumped a full ball less than a foot away with a valley mud ball. I think a lot of it has to do with the shaft blank too. My cue is a nice peice of birdseye with some curl in it with 4 ebony points with redheart inlays. Also, Ewa signed it before I sprayed it, that didn't hurt either.

I agree....you can have a real pretty piece of wood....and the cue plays like crap...

I recently had a solid purpleheart cue....man o man....I really regret getting rid of that cue...it was by far the best hitting cue I have ever owned...I felt like the trade I did for the cue was good for me..but I am having second thoughts now...I got exactly what I wanted, but getting rid of that cue is really hurting now....

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly, I beat a couple of pro caliber players back to back years ago with a 90.00 dollar plain dark brown stained helmstetter, so that cue, big mistake.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I would go with highly figured birdseye maple or quilted maple. My other favorites are cocobolo and amboyna burl. I also love tulipwood and olivewood.

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think for the hit and still being able to keep the weight within reason a bacote forearm with some ebony inlays for looks makes a real solid hitting cue.

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
For looks, I love a highly figured quilted sapele. It will have to be cored though.

I used to be all about the ebony, after hitting with different rosewoods, I'm changing my mind.

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Fisher, I used to be the manager at Big Dogs in Des Moines and Paul Ashmore worked for me and I saw the cues he got from you, I would think, and they look and hit pretty good.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
For looks, I love a highly figured quilted sapele. It will have to be cored though.

I used to be all about the ebony, after hitting with different rosewoods, I'm changing my mind.

Thanks for the input Bryan.....I think with the quality of the work your putting out now, I would think it best to order from you now before you start having a huge waiting list .......

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the looks of darker cocobolo wood. I have also seen some real beautys on this sight in amboyna burl wood. Check into brazilian rosewood. To me it looks alittle like cocobolo. Good Luck in your search.
Jeff

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
I have a Bender with a Bocote forearm with 5 Purpleheart points and Purpleheart butt. The hit is amazing.

For looks my favorite combination is Ebony and Ambonya Burl.

Jim

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I Myself would like to have a cue made with Ebony and Snakewood, and have Malichite and Turquise stones in it.

Not sure how it would all come together but these are a few of my Favorite Materials.

Steve

JazzMatt

Registered
hardwood

I have two Belian / Billian / Borneo Ironwood / eusideroxylon zwageri walking sticks.

Just wondering if anyone can advise if this wood is suitable to be turned into a cue. It is extremely hard and heavy. This wood is not for export but I'm local so I can still get my hands on it.

Thinking of sending it to a cue maker in PI but since I already have a custom cue from him was wondering if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced cue maker in the US.

Since the wood comes from Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo am also thinking of getting a local craftsman to do some tribal carvings on it first...

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
woods

Several 'pretty' woods, but they also have to be dense to have a good hit.
Snakewood is pretty, Brazilian Rosewood is nice, and Mexican Bacote is a dense figured wood. (Had a cue with Mexican Bacote and Paduak that was sharp and the hit was great).

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Man....thanks guys...Alot of really good input on this thread for me....I really appreciate all your comments...and all the woods talked about so far are very pretty.....thanks a bunch