Did some "do it your self" work...

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And it came out not too bad. I dont have a lathe and have never done any thing to a cue except for 2 tip changes, Any ways I changed the tip from the factory le pro to an elk master and shortened the ferrule a bit. I also took off the irish linen wrap and put on a black leather wrap. All in all it came out better than I hoped lol. Sorry for the crappy pics but all I have is my cell to take pics with. Input would be great.........unless you have bad things to say ;)

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job on the tip. The wrap looks perfect from the picture. If the seam is good then it's a great job. Did you use any fixture for the leather wrap?

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job on the tip. The wrap looks perfect from the picture. If the seam is good then it's a great job. Did you use any fixture for the leather wrap?

The seam is all most not seen except for near the top, its a little rough because the blade on my knife broke and all I had were scissors to cut which did not work out well lol. Every thing was done with a ruler, knife
scissors, glue and leather and my hands.Im not sure what you mean by "fixture"?? Thanks for the kind words ;) I have 2 shafts for this cue and had a new tip put on my other shaft by a local pool room owner and showed a buddy of mine both shafts and asked him if you could tell which tip I did and which tip was paid for, he thought the tip I did was the one I paid for lol.
For it being only my 3rd tip I was very pleased at how nice it came out.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without a magic wrap fixture the chances of getting a leather wrap done right goes way down. Without it, it can be done, but you must really take your time and do something extra to come up with an ingenious way to cut the seam straight.

With the tip, I think you did a good job. What I would like to know, is how did you shorten the ferrule? Did you file it down? Doing that by hand, it would be impossible to get it truly flat. You can get close by eye, but you might be asking for problems later down the road. The base of the tip may not be sitting flush and impact will be affected. If I am right, you might take it to the shop next time and have it 'faced off' properly.

With that said, I must say that without a lathe, I think you did an outstanding job. I think it might be time for you to call up Chris H.

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without a magic wrap fixture the chances of getting a leather wrap done right goes way down. Without it, it can be done, but you must really take your time and do something extra to come up with an ingenious way to cut the seam straight.

With the tip, I think you did a good job. What I would like to know, is how did you shorten the ferrule? Did you file it down? Doing that by hand, it would be impossible to get it truly flat. You can get close by eye, but you might be asking for problems later down the road. The base of the tip may not be sitting flush and impact will be affected. If I am right, you might take it to the shop next time and have it 'faced off' properly.

With that said, I must say that without a lathe, I think you did an outstanding job. I think it might be time for you to call up Chris H.

The seam is straight and if my blade didnt break I would have had an invisible seam, still for a first time I am very happy the way it came out.

I shortened the ferrule first by cutting it and then sanding it flat, there are no gaps between the tip and ferrule.

Its just a cheap cue that I happen to like so thats why I took the chance to do some work to it, and Im liking it more and more now :grin:
I all ways like to have some thing that I do to a cue so it makes it have my "touch" on it (my last cue I painted some stuff on the butt cap), call me crazy (my wife does) but it makes the cue feel more than just a cue.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a thought - you may want to try making a "crutch tip" shaft turner. Do a search and there's some good threads on how to make one. If you have an electric drill, the cost would be less than $5.00. It's great to work on tips and to polish shafts. I've been using one for about two years now.

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a thought - you may want to try making a "crutch tip" shaft turner. Do a search and there's some good threads on how to make one. If you have an electric drill, the cost would be less than $5.00. It's great to work on tips and to polish shafts. I've been using one for about two years now.

Thanks for the idea, I tried to search for it but got tired :grin:
I have seen a couple or portable lathes on ebay and was thinking about getting one but Ive heard some bad things about them so I dont know.